Our History discussion

Devil in the White City

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookluvr_13) | 1 comments I just finished "Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson on audiboook. Since I love Chicago, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The way Larson integrated narrative with his obviously in-depth research was astounding. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves history. I really enjoyed the audiobook, which I got at http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php... . It was a good price, you should check it out!

message 2: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 7 comments I highly recommened it also. I keep meaning to read his other books but haven't gotten the chance yet.

message 3: by Graceann (new)

Graceann (silentsgirl) Isaac's Storm is amazing. It's a very different subject (the Galveston Hurricane of 1900), but no less riveting.

message 4: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 14 comments Initially I read the book for the serial murder aspect, but I became fascinated by the background of the Chicago World's fair.

I only wish there had been a better picture of the doctor. I was curious to see what this charismatic serial killer looked like.

message 5: by Scott (last edited Jul 21, 2009 01:06PM) (new)

Scott Ferry I am definitely going to read this. It seems people either loved it or hated it. But it seems people only disliked it because it was split between story lines. Is that true?

Incidently, i am heading to Chicago on a visit next week. I am rapidly trying to find this book so i can read it on my trip.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 29 comments Yes, there are two parallel stories - one about the fair, and one about the serial killer.

I found both very interesting. Though I may have preferred the bit about the fair - I'm generally interested in that kind of thing.

message 7: by Manuel (new)

Manuel | 14 comments The fair is used more as a back drop to the murders happening in and around Chicago.

I found I didnt mind the split focus on the fair and the murders. I thought both were very interesting and he did a good job interweaving the story lines.

It is always a nice surprise to learn about something new. Before I read the book, I knew virtually nothing about the great Chicago fair. When I was finished with the book I continued to do research on the fair. Seemed like a very exciting place to be...

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott Ferry It seems to be at the city library, so i marked it and will get it tonight! Bring it with me to Chicago on my trip. Sounds like a fun and interesting read. Thanks for the comments.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Hogan (siu1988ldh) | 1 comments I highly recommend this book. I live in chicago and this book not only gets into the murders but also goes into what it was like to attend the fair. Very fast read!

message 10: by Erma (new)

Erma Odrach | 4 comments Don't really like books dealing with murder but now i think I'll check it out because it sounds fascinating, especially the great Chicago fair.

message 11: by Daisy (new)

Daisy Chicago history has always fascinated me. Can't wait to start this one again after an already failed attempt to finish it!

message 12: by Tomi (new)

Tomi | 2 comments It's a great book! I loved seeing some of the places in Chicago that were mentioned in the book.

message 13: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Totally agree with Tomi about being a great story, in a similar vein you should try:

Death in the City of Light The Serial Killer of Nazi-Occupied Paris by David King by David King

message 14: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments Tomi wrote: "It's a great book! I loved seeing some of the places in Chicago that were mentioned in the book."

Went to Chi-town shortly after reading the book and agree with Tomi, it was fun to see some of the highlights from the book. Now I should read AR's suggestion and then go visit Paris!

message 15: by 'Aussie Rick' (new)

'Aussie Rick' (aussierick) Great idea Mike!

message 16: by Tomi (new)

Tomi | 2 comments Yeah - every place I read about, I should go to visit! (Great idea - a little hard on the budget, though...)

message 17: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne | 5 comments When I read it I enjoyed the part about the fair. I got kind of tired of the descriptions of the murders and what happened after the fair.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 29 comments I would have given it 4 stars if it had been all about the fair; the murders knocked it down to three for me.

message 19: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Fitzpatrick (carolyn_fitzpatrick) I read this book when it first came out and really enjoyed it - and I DON'T like True Crime type books. As other people said, the fair was the most interesting part. I thought the murders were interesting too though - gory but not too in-your-face. The books is apparently going to be made into a movie: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/n....

If you DO like the serial killer aspect of this book you'd probably like "The Killer of Little Shepherds" too. It is about a serial killer in France at the end of the 19th century, and the detective who pursues him using cutting edge techniques. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/78...

message 20: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (nzfriend) | 7 comments Oh my mom has read that one. She really enjoyed it.

I have David King's book but haven't read it yet.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 29 comments A recent historic true crime I read and enjoyed was The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars - about a murder taking place in 1890s New York. Very good.

message 22: by James (new)

James Rada Jr. (jimrada) | 3 comments I also thought that Isaac's Storm by Erik Larson was a great book. I think it was the one he wrote before The Devil in the White City.

message 23: by Phillip (new)

Phillip (philliptball) | 4 comments I read this book when it first came out. It was very interesting. Wish I wouldn't have passed it on. Would like to read it again.