Author Support Group discussion

HELP! > Tracking Book Sales...

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Madison Paine (madisonpaine) | 132 comments Mod
How do you guys track how many books you are selling?

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) On Scribd and Smashwords (where my eBook is published), the dashboard tracks the information for me. It also shows me how many people have looked at the preview (or my free military history eBook).

message 3: by Jj, Co-Moderator (new)

Jj Ritonya (JJRitonya) | 67 comments Mod
I have tracking info through the site I publish through as well as from digital sales. Most sites offer this.

message 4: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 287 comments Mod
I have my books on Kindle; Amazon provides a nifty chart of sales. I also have them on Smashwords who also provides a nifty little chart. Paperback sales are tracked through my POD publisher, CreateSpace.

message 5: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey wrote: "I have my books on Kindle; Amazon provides a nifty chart of sales. I also have them on Smashwords who also provides a nifty little chart. Paperback sales are tracked through my POD publisher, Creat..."

Where is that chart on Amazon? That is the one I want.

message 6: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (last edited Jun 22, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

You have to sign into your dtp dashboard which is rather difficult to find. Amazon never makes anything easy. This link, if it doesn't go right to your dashboard, should at least let you sign in: https://dtp.amazon.com/mn/dashboard

I think...

message 7: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey wrote: "You have to sign into your dtp dashboard which is rather difficult to find. Amazon never makes anything easy. This link, if it doesn't go right to your dashboard, should at least let you sign in: h..."

Jaimey, you are better than Wikipedia!!!!!

message 8: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey wrote: "You have to sign into your dtp dashboard which is rather difficult to find. Amazon never makes anything easy. This link, if it doesn't go right to your dashboard, should at least let you sign in: h..."

Does my book have to be digital? Mine is paperback only at this time.

message 9: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Madison wrote: "Does my book have to be digital? Mine is paperback only at this time."

Yeah, Kindle is only digital. For your paperback stats you'll have to check with your publisher. Amazon's only indication of pb sales is the sales rank#--which doesn't really mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.

message 10: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Oh, to have nifty charts! About every other month, I visit all the bookstores carrying my book and check sales and pick up my money! Or I least contact them every other month since most of the stores are in Cairo, a 7 1/2 hour drive away. Or they call because they're out of books. Which actually has happened several times. :) But lots of leg work.

All of my online sales on my website or Amazon go directly through me.

I keep a spreadsheet of all my expenses, sales, etc. so I can keep track of it all in one place - and know how much money the book has made!

message 11: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (mccallum) | 18 comments To follow my (and others) amazon book sales there is a fantastic - FREE - service: Title z. Link Below.
http://www.titlez.com/

My website is (by far) the best way of truly knowing, and being freely able to communicate with readers is a major plus.

Lastly, the quarterly 'royalty cheque' hmmmm, may buy a new car!LOL

message 12: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 11 comments Jaimey wrote: "I have my books on Kindle; Amazon provides a nifty chart of sales. I also have them on Smashwords who also provides a nifty little chart. Paperback sales are tracked through my POD publisher, Creat..."

Jamie -- I just looked up Smashwords. How is that working for you?

message 13: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Sherry wrote: "I just looked up Smashwords. How is that working for you?"

The sales aren't the best but I haven't really pushed it yet, either. The most copies I sell are Kindle books through Amazon.

message 14: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherylmarasi) | 11 comments Great, thanks Jaimey :)

message 15: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Hey guys I just learned about this Neilsen Book Scan. It is $85 for an individual report. I would do it every quarter to verify your royalties. It is not exhaustive but it is what the big time publishers are using.