Anne Arundel County Public Library discussion

Book Lists > Great Non-Fiction Authors

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AACPL (new)

AACPL Anne Arundel Public Library | 180 comments Mod
Maya Angelou
Maya Angelou
Angelou’s books are written with a vigor and beauty that honors the English language. She explores personal experiences from her life with depth and introspection.

Find Maya Angelou in the library

A. Scott Berg
Andrew Scott Berg
Berg writes biographies about great American cultural figures with a novelistic style.

Find Andrew Scott Berg in the library

Bill Bryson
Bill Bryson
Bryson is a witty eclectic writer who takes everyday experiences and, weaves a story that demonstrates the cultural, social, and psychological significance of everyday life.

Find Andrew Bill Bryson in the library

Malcolm Gladwell
Malcolm Gladwell
Gladwell loves to analyze human behavior; he has an easy writing style and his books explore the implications and often-wrong assumptions of academic and sociologic research.

Find Malcolm Gladwell in the library

Robert K. Massie
Robert K. Massie
Massie writes with strong plot lines and in-depth character development. His books primarily focus on Russia’s royal family the Romanovs.

Find Robert K. Massie in the library

Doris Kearns Goodwin
Doris Kearns Goodwin
Goodwin writes in depth biographies and historical works that cover the complex workings of politics, family, the economy, friendship, and how sometimes small events can change the course of history.

Find Doris Kearns Goodwin in the library

Laura Hillenbrand
Laura Hillenbrand
Hillenbrand tells a great detailed story that reads like a novel. She finds a central character to focus her research, and then explores every element of that character’s life and the history of the time.

Find Laura Hillenbrand in the library

Jon Krakauer
Jon Krakauer
Krakauer is well-known for outdoor and situational writing. He tells stories of internal and external character struggles, he often investigates tragic events to detail and document what went wrong. Jon Krakauer’s books will take you on journeys into the wild landscapes of the planet and the human mind.

Find Jon Krakauer in the library

David McCullough
David McCullough
McCullough has been widely acclaimed as a “master of the art of narrative history,” and his books include stories of historical events and biographies.

Find David McCullough in the library

Mary Roach
Mary Roach
Roach is a reluctant scientist that asks the questions everyone else is too polite to ask. She is funny and lighthearted, but she gets to the facts.

Find Mary Roach in the library

David Sedaris
David Sedaris
With sardonic wit and perceptive social critiques, Sedaris writes funny books that are filled with satire and keen observations about the human condition.

Find David Sedaris in the library

message 2: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Vicki_c) Nice list, I enjoy quite a few of those authors.

message 3: by Kristie (new)

Kristie Lanzotti (goodreadsklanzotti) | 2 comments Hi I'm a librarian setting up our library's Goodreads page. How do you format your list? Do you add the HTML in the comment box? Your booklists are great and I would love to copy them! klanzotti@toledolibrary.org.

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Dec 31, 2013 06:44AM) (new)

Stephanie (viaggiatrice) | 70 comments Mod
Hi Kristie, Goodreads allows for some basic HTML. We keep it simple, just using br, b, a href, etc. We use the bookcover and author images that Goodreads provides, and add the links to our catalog. Thank you for the compliment!

Sorry for the weird formatting at first there...I tried to do this on my phone!

Kristie wrote: "Hi I'm a librarian setting up our library's Goodreads page. How do you format your list? Do you add the HTML in the comment box? Your booklists are great and I would love to copy them! klanzotti@to..."

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen (TheEEB) | 2 comments Tracy Kidder is my favorite author of nonfiction. (The Soul of a New Machine, Among Schoolchildren, Mountains beyond Mountains, and more.) He immerses himself in his subjects' lives, then writes about them with clarity and compassion. I see that he and Richard Todd have written a book called Good Prose: the Art of Nonfiction.

message 6: by Victoria (new)

Victoria (Vicki_c) Ww, thanks Ellen. I have never heard of Tracy Kidder. I just checked out his page and some of those books look very interesting.