The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dottie (last edited Feb 12, 2008 04:11PM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments I hope my putting this up is okay -- elsewhere when adding books was mentioned, it was also indicated we might think of adding films as well.

I know there are many, many films touched upon but I want to first offer one of the stranger ones encountered in GG -- Grey Gardens. I'd never known any of that until seeing it mentioned on GG and then I went exploring the film for myself -- I think there is a newer edition or a secondary film out now but haven't looked into that.

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Just off the top of my head...

Pippi Longstocking
Cool Hand Luke
The Yearling
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

message 3: by Sarah (new)

message 4: by Arctic (new)

Arctic | 571 comments listsofbests also has a list, though no episode citations:

http://www.listsofbests.com/list/18424

have to checkout Grey Gardens...

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) One movie which I love and didn't see on either of the lists is The Court Jester with Danny Kaye. Lorelei recites one of Kaye's famous lines from that film(The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle, the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true) in episode 4.12 "A Family Matter". Lauren Graham was the perfect person to pull that off as she's the only other celebrity I've ever see who can talk as fast as Danny Kaye.

Here's a link to some info on the movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cour...

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashphil) | 10 comments They're missing the best movie ever that the girls are obsessed with and try to make Luke watch: Hardbodies!!

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Oh yeah, that's the one where Luke fell asleep!

There's also the Rosie O'Donnell one where she rides the bus.

message 8: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Feb 13, 2008 12:54PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Great work everyone. I will be adding some of these to my netflix queue! Oh and I moved this topic over to Gilmore Girls.........

message 9: by Dottie (last edited Feb 29, 2008 11:40AM) (new)

Dottie (oxymoronid) | 698 comments Hey -- just remembered this thread in the GG folder -- and the link is in here to the film list on the Gilmorisms site.

Here is the link again:

http://gilmore-ism.com/reference?filt...

ETA -- I LOVE that threads don't evaporate on here and once you think of a conversation you can go find it again! I had forgotten about starting this and yet here it is!

message 10: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (anotherdesperatehousewife) | 80 comments I have been considering for months now, doing an episode-by-episode list of movies watched or cited in the show. (personally I think the movies are just as important as book to the gilmores, as they seem to be as well 'watched' as they are read). I haven't done it yet, but If I thought others might be interested in a full list also (not just me!) then I might start it sooner..

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Taryn wrote: "I have been considering for months now, doing an episode-by-episode list of movies watched or cited in the show. (personally I think the movies are just as important as book to the gilmores, as the..."

oh wow! I'm def up for that! It would be so interesting :)
I've been wishing for something like that for a while now, but
never had time to do it by myself.

message 12: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (anotherdesperatehousewife) | 80 comments Agness wrote: "Taryn wrote: "I have been considering for months now, doing an episode-by-episode list of movies watched or cited in the show. (personally I think the movies are just as important as book to the gi..."

Oh I'm so glad! That makes me feel like a little less of a dork!!!

Ok well once I get a couple of episodes under my belt, I might start a new thread on here to list them all :)

message 13: by Lucie (new)

Lucie | 20 comments Taryn wrote: Oh I'm so glad! That makes me feel like a little less of a dork!!!

Oh, if you are dork, me too! :) I'm doing this for myself, but I write down not only books and movies, but also music and other pop-cultural references. And I study it and try to understand all these references! I know I might sound hopeless, I actually have a life too, but I just love Gilmore Girls SO MUCH! :))

message 14: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (anotherdesperatehousewife) | 80 comments Winsome wrote: "Taryn wrote: Oh I'm so glad! That makes me feel like a little less of a dork!!!

Oh, if you are dork, me too! :) I'm doing this for myself, but I write down not only books and movies, but also mu..."

you just described me EXACTLY. It's sad to admit, but study is exactly the right word - I do that too. If they had a college course in Gilmorism, I would gladly major in it.