Indian Readers discussion

Rise to Power (The David Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Rise to Power
Promotions - New books n Authors > Rise to Power (The David Chronicles)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 73) (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Just released! Here is the book description:

Here is the story of David as you have never heard it before: from the king himself, telling the unofficial version, the one he never allowed his court scribes to recount. In his mind, history is written to praise the victorious—but at the last stretch of his illustrious life, he feels an irresistible urge to tell the truth. In the first volume, Rise to Power, David gives you a fascinating account of his early years, culminating with a tribal coronation. Rooted in ancient lore, his is a surprisingly modern memoir.

In an era of cruelty, when destroying the enemy is deemed a sacred directive, the slayer of Goliath finds a way to become larger than life. His search for a path to power leads him in ways that are, at times, scandalous. Notorious for his contradictions, David is seen by others as a gifted court entertainer, a successful captain in Saul’s army, a cunning fugitive, a traitor leading a gang of felons, and a ruthless raider of neighboring towns who leaves no witnesses behind.

How does he see himself, during this first phase of his life? With his hands stained with blood, can he find an inner balance between conflicting drives: his ambition for the crown, his determination to survive the conflict with Saul, and his longing for purity, for a touch of the divine, as expressed so lyrically in his psalms and music?

message 2: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments James DiBenedetto, the author of Dream Student (and other books in this series) currently lives in Arlington, Virginia with his beautiful wife and their cat (who has thoroughly trained them both). I am honored that he invited me to interview on his blog. He had quirky questions such as, Who should play you in a film of your life?

Check out the interview here:Interview with Uvi Poznansky

message 3: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Christoph Fischer is a high-ranking reviewer on Goodreads and Amazon. Just as importantly, he is the author of the historical fiction trilogy of Sebastian, The Luck of the Weissensteiners, and The Black Eagle Inn. I am greatly honored that he posted this wonderful ★★★★★ review for my just-released book, Rise to Power.

★★★★★ Excellent new series, December 10, 2013
By ChristophFischerBooks "Chris" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Rise to Power (The David Chronicles) (Kindle Edition)
"Rise to Power (The David Chronicles)" by Uvi Poznansky is another eye opening book, based on a biblical theme but written with a modern mind and perspective. Without corrupting the original historic-biblical story Poznansky takes us into the world and minds of well known biblical figures, such as the first King of Israel, his rivals and his lovers.
A man of flesh and blood, with sexual urges, pride and huge powers of reflection and analysis David is a superb character, real, with bite and of the human race - quite different from the biblical myth that has been created around him.
We see him as he slowly rises to power, from a small soldier to military leader, his military campaigns, his ambitions and the rivalry over the throne; we see the husband to Michal - his first wife and the sometimes strange 'renaissance' man. The novel is historical fiction, biblical fiction and simply excellent fiction.
Wit, sharp-minded powers of observations and deep psychological undestanding of the human mind are amongst Poznansky's many strengths. Her characters and stories are powerful, her historic/biblical knowledge is sound. All through my reading of the story I was tempted to check on the internet for the biblical story behind this novel to remind myself of the exact details and to see if anything had been changed. I can vouch for the accuracy now as I can vouch for the entertaining and meaningful character of the story.
I am still in awe just how much there is to the story of King David - this is the first book of a series and we are not all too far into the life of David.
What a treat to have the story of David presented in such an intellectually stimulating manner, incorporating the historic more than the biblical aspect of the figure. This is by no means a Jewish manifesto. Religion and God play a secondary role in what is a modern adaptation of a very good story.
I look forward to the next book in this original and intriguing series.

Rise to Power (The David Chronicles, Volume I) by Uvi Poznansky

message 4: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments When I release a new book, it's a bit like letting go of a baby's hand to see if she can take a first step. Boy, this baby is running fast!

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #40,858 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Judaism > Sacred Writings > Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) > Biography
#1 in Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Bible Study & Reference > Old Testament > Biography
#1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Reference > Biographies > Old Testament

Rise to Power

message 5: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Get RISE TO POWER (vol. I of The David Chronicles) and see for yourself what the rave is all about!
It appears as #1 in three 'Hot New Releases' Amazon lists

http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U

message 6: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Wow--I am so glad for this review for my new book, Rise to Power! Written by Dolores Ayotte, author of A Woman's Voice (and other self-help books) who is a great inspirational writer and one of the best reviewers on Amazon:

★★★★★ King David's "path to power"... 14 Dec 2013
By Dolores Ayotte
Format:Kindle Edition
Rise to Power (The David Chronicles) by Author Uvi Poznansky

David, the would-be king, is playing his lyre in an audition before the mad King Saul...or is he really mad at all? The popular story of the young boy David slaying the giant Goliath comes to life with a unique and somewhat macabre twist in this familiar old Bible story.

Gifted Author Uvi Poznansky is up to her usual finesse of taking a well-known Bible story and giving it a modern day perspective. Trust me...she does a darn good job of it! The Prologue actually explains where King David ends up. In essence...the beginning of the novel finds David a prisoner of sorts...actually a prisoner of his impotent self. David now has the occasion to reflect on his past life and he has every desire to share his story. In this fictional novel, David is speaking in the first person and is the narrator of his own past history and the events leading up to his present situation. The reader is then taken back in time with David to hear firsthand how this supposedly humble and simple boy started out.

By his own admittance, he is not so innocent after all. Even though he has many brothers, he is to be King Saul's successor...hand selected by old Samuel the "king-maker...the one who anointed Saul all these years ago". In this provocative story, David definitely appears to be far more ambitious than one would have initially imagined and his "rise to power" more calculated and well-thought out than first perceived. However, King Saul is no fool and deep down he has his misgivings about David. Therefore, even in his madness, he looks for his enemy. Is it David? Jealousy of a potential rival has endless and brutal possibilities.

In one of her previous novels, A Favorite Son... Ms. Poznansky utilizes the same technique now found in "Rise to Power (The David Chronicles)". She once again creatively and adeptly gets into the head of a familiar Bible character, and then subsequently brings him into the twenty-first century. In doing so, she manages to take her readers with her and they too are exposed to a vast array of human emotions, some more positive than others. One readily sees the ambition and calculative motives of the players and the ends they will go to achieve their own goals no matter the consequences or who they may cross in the process.

The setting in this book is in the appropriate Biblical era but the characters have what appears to be a more modern day method of thinking. Or is this really an age old way of operating and not modern at all? Ms. Poznansky is merely saying it likes she sees it. The discerning reader soon realizes a more sinister plot may have taken place as she spurs us on to think outside the box and entertain all kinds of possibilities. I re-iterate that most of us are very familiar with this Bible story about the young boy David...however, I encourage you to read this version of his story. You will get an x-ray view of not only how David's mind possibly worked but also of the way Ms. Poznansky's mind captivatingly works in order to entice her reading audience. She does not leave a stone unturned in this intriguing Biblical story as David narrates his tale with and through the eyes of Ms. Poznansky. Watch David come alive with all his human faults, frailties, and fears as he diligently searches for his path to power. "Life in the shadow of death"...is it really that exciting after all? You be the judge.

Inspirational Author & Book Reviewer ~ Dolores Ayotte

message 7: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Come celebrate New Year with me! Rise to Power!

My ★★★★★ historical fiction book ♥ Rise to Power ♥ is coming out in amazing paperback & Kindle editions. Join the Writing Contest, be here for the cover reveal, and read intimate disclosures from the life of David, as only he can reveal to you... Whatever you do, don't miss out!

Go to the event page, Rise to Power. Then click Join, and be part of the fun!

message 8: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Gone viral with 235 shares to Facebook, the post about my book Rise to Power made it to the 'Best of 2013' top ten list on Christoph Fischer's blog! In fact it is in 3rd place!

Christoph is a talented author of historical fiction, and top Amazon and Goodreads reviewer, so this means a lot to me. Check it out:

message 9: by Uvi (last edited Mar 01, 2014 08:18PM) (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments "So far I doubt she has caught the sound of my footfalls. I edge closer, advancing stealthily along the shadow, a seemingly endless shadow cast across the flat surface of her roof by my tower. Never once do I stop to remind myself that such behavior is unbecoming of a king.
And who can blame me? In her presence I am reduced to a boy.
I must find a way to impress her. Which is why I brought my crown along, even though it sits somewhat uncomfortably on my head. It is a bit too large for me, and too heavy, too.
On my way I leap across a staircase, leading down from the roof. On a railing, here in front of me, hangs a large Egyptian towel, as if to mark a barrier. I tell myself, This isn’t right. I should stop, stop right here and whatever happens I should cover my eyes, avoid taking a peep at her... Shall I turn back?
And immediately I answer by asking, What? Stopping midway is nothing short of a sin...You’ll never forgive yourself... To which I say, stop talking to yourself already! Are you out of your mind?
Behind the towel I can see a puff of steam rising. Bathsheba must have poured boiling water into her tub only a minute ago. One kettle, set down by the claw-foot of the thing, has been emptied, the other—still full, waiting for its turn. Now, out of the swirl of vapors, her shoulders start to take shape."

David in Rise to Power (The David Chronicles)

This is my watercolor painting of Bathsheba. I am thinking of using this painting for the cover of my next book, Bathsheba (The David Chronicles.)

Looking for a last minute gift?
Get ★★★★★ new release!
★ Ebook ★ Print 

message 10: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I invite you to come to my party! Here's how:
Celebrate a new book, a new year!

message 11: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments The tip of my pen is dull, and the ink has dried, but that cannot stop me from writing. Nothing will. I am grasping for power once again, but in a different way than I did back then. This time I can see, with great clarity, that power does not come from the crown.
At long last I have no urge anymore to keep my grasp on it. Now I know, power comes from within, from something else entirely: my skill with words. I wish I would have recognized it a long time ago, on my first visit to the royal court. Perhaps then I would have become a poet. Not a King.
It is still a long time from daybreak, and the girl’s breast heaves as she mumbles something, some unclear word. She is so close at hand and yet, so far out of my reach.
When I was first crowned, I was such a vigorous young man that no illness could keep me away from my dear wives and concubines. If I would catch a cold, all of them would be sneezing. I know, somehow, that unlike all the women I have had, Abishag is the one I will never know.
I hold my breath until she lulls herself back to sleep. Faint shadows start dancing on the wall. I read the shapes, trying to invent someone, a listener. You.
I whisper, Come in... Call me insane, who cares? Who the hell cares if you refuse to trust me, if you insist on clinging to your kind of reality, which is as dull as it is solid... Mine, I insist, is not a dream. But even if it is... Even so, it is true! How can you deny it? Here is my story. I am opening it up to you.
I can see why at first glance what you see here—these records which I jotted here, on these papyrus rolls—may seem scattered, even scary. I understand why you step back from my door, why look over your shoulder to find the guard...
Come in! Will you? Will you read these scribblings? Can you see my sword, which I have drawn here, look! Can you see it the way I do, lifting out of the ink and into the air, turning magically over, around and around, right in the center of the space? If you can, then—by the flash of it—I shall take you along, to leap with me into the surface of the steely thing. Into my reflection.

David, in Rise to Power

My quick color sketch, David Playing Before Saul

message 12: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Author of War Songs, Grady Harp describes himself as being ever on the alert for the new and promising geniuses of tomorrow. He is an artist representative, gallery owner, writer of essays and articles on figurative and all Representational art for museum catalogues and for traveling exhibitions, and an Amazon Hall of Fame Reviewer. So I am deeply honored that he has posted this five-star review for my just-published book, Rise to Power:

★★★★★ David as we have never known him, December 26, 2013
By
Grady Harp (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

Uvi Poznansky wears a coat of many colors. Originally from Israel where she studied Architecture and Town Planning then moving to the US where she studied Computer Science and became an expert in Software Engineering, Poznansky managed to combine the design elements of two studies into unique formats. And she has accomplished the same with the other side of her brain - making visual her ideas (she is an accomplished painter, drawer, and sculptor who has enjoyed exhibitions both in Israel and in California, her present base) and making words in poetry and in short stories and children's books. RISE TO POWER is her second novel and is adorned on the cover with an image of her own painting!

But the miracle of Uvi Poznansky's writing is her uncanny ability to return to old stories and make them brilliantly fresh. This retelling of the Biblical David unveils a character far more profound and fragile than the slayer of Goliath. His personality radiates from every page as her grows from valiant lad to eloquent hero and Poznansky's gift for poetry renders a magical hue to every aspect of this story. At times startling, as times awe-inspiring, and at al times fine reading, this is a welcome addition to the growing library of one our more important writers. More please!! Grady Harp, December 13

Print http://bookShow.me/098499324X
Ebook http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U

message 13: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Cover reveal of Rise to Power
The early version of the cover was based on my acrylic painting of David playing before Saul. But I was unhappy with the result. The painting gave the aura of a legend, a 'rag-to-riches' fairytale, and it presented David as a child, both of which only begin to scratch the surface.

So I went back to the drawing board, and selected one of my watercolors for a backdrop, over which I positioned the face of Bernini's David. I love the dynamic expression, the effort it imparts both physically and mentally. This, to me, is the essence of this wonderfully complex character. Set against the tension between cool and warm colors, intense and loose pigments, here is an ambitious man trying to figure out how to take charge of his life, and how to make a mark on history.

Here, now, is the cover:

★ Ebook ★ Print 

message 14: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Amos Lassen is the most widely-read top 50 Amazon reviewer who has consistently been a champion for LGBT literature and film. Nowadays he posts his reviews not on Amazon but on his own highly ranked blog. With his deep knowledge of biblical studies, I am deeply honored that he posted a review of my book, Rise to Power.

This is how he opens his in-depth review: "The Hebrew Bible or what many refer to as the Old Testament is a treasure house of stories albeit incomplete ones. It is a great place to look for ideas and it allows for additions and subtractions. The characters are true dysfunctional people but they have a job to do—to teach us to lead moral and good lives. I have always considered King David to be one of the largest enigmas in the Bible—he did what he wanted, when he wanted and God continued to love him regardless. Of course, we have never had the whole story and much of what we do have is commentary—probably because it is difficult to consider what is written in the Bible to be factual.

Now we have Uvi Poznansky who gives us the story of David differently than ever before..."

To read the review in its entirety click Reviews by Amos Lassen: Rise to Power

message 15: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Christian Ashley is an author of Historical Romance, Paranormal Fiction, and Erotic Fantasy. I am truly honored that she posted this review for Rise to Power:

★★★★★ Rise to Power (The David Chronicles) is Fabulous – Absolutely Brilliant, January 5, 2014
By Christian Ashley
Amazon Verified Purchase

Uvi Poznansky combined her superb knowledge of Biblical history and her amazing sense of humor to create David’s story. In Rise to Power, David is looking back on his life and telling not only his story, but how he thought and felt at the time. It is told in first person and from his perspective, which has a modern flair similar to some of the author’s other work – A Favorite Son and Twisted for example.
With David at the center during a time of war and constant upheaval for the people, his story, as told through Poznansky, made me laugh out loud more times than I could count. Rise to Power in many ways, makes sense of some of the difficult to understand and nonlinear parts of the Bible, and it was so enjoyable to read that I am reading it again (aloud to my husband) and anxiously awaiting the next book of this series. I really loved it – Five Stars!

✿(•̃̃‿•̃̃ ♡ ◦°˚ 

Get ★★★★★ RISE TO POWER:
♡ Ebook ♡ http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U
♡ Print ♡ http://bookShow.me/098499324X

message 16: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Let me give you the dearest gift that I can
Do not refuse me, for my story began
With passion at heart, guilt down at the gut
And sentences that I weave, then turn and cut
Now I give it to you, and this is my plea
Hold my book in your hand, it is yours, it is for thee!

♥  Rise to Power ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U
♥ Apart From Love ♥ http://BookShow.me/B006WPITP0
♥ A Favorite Son ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00AUZ3LGU
♥ Twisted ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00D7Q3IY4

message 17: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Yael Politis is an author and translator, and her three historical novels The Way the World Is, Olivia, Mourning and The Lonely Tree are exquisitely written. So I am deeply honored that she posted this review for my new release, Rise to Power:

★★★★★ Reading between the lines, January 13, 2014
By Yael Politis (Pardes Hanna, Israel) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase

The stories of the Old Testament occasionally let us in on the characters’ thoughts and motivations, but for the most part only describe what those characters say and do and leave the interpretations to us. In Rise to Power Ms. Poznansky offers us her interpretation of the story of King David’s rise to power (First Samuel). She does not change the stories, so no need to worry about spoilers in a review - Goliath still loses. But she overcomes the lack of suspense about what’s going to happen next and keeps us turning pages by presuming to have privy to David’s emotions and mental processes. And it is a stunning accomplishment.

There are some real gems. My favorites of young David’s musings:
“So I make a mental note to myself: from now on, avoid talking to historians. Avoid it at all cost—unless, of course, they belong to me.”
“Trust me: you must marry her,” he says, “because glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever.”
“Knowing that her eyes have betrayed love, now her voice denies it.”
”And trapped in that skinny body, pounding there with palpable longing, is the heart of a woman, a proud woman, cursed with love.”
“I can’t bring myself to kill her.” “Why not?” “I don’t love her that much.”
”If I obey my whim, if I kill Saul now and announce myself king in his place, how can I hope to be obeyed, when the sanctity of the crown is violated? How can I hold on to power, when I am the one to have defused its magic?”
”I take no one alive, man or woman, to be brought to Gath, not because I have any particular objections to slave labor—but because they have seen too much and have little to lose, so unlike the trusty historians, they may tell the truth about me.”
”Sometimes I wonder who came up with the bright idea of separation between religion and state. God knows he must be an idiot. Up to now, my men have regarded me as their military commander and political leader. Now I rise up higher in their eyes. Despite the fact that I do not walk with God, they think I can talk with Him.”
“To my fighters, this may seem like a debatable decision. I do not mind it, really, because there is nothing better than controversy to increase my fame.”

I think this book would be an ideal choice for a book club because it offers so much for discussion. In one of the quotes above David muses about the separation of religion and state. Had that concept been implemented anywhere on earth yet? I doubt it, but actually have no idea. But even if not, I don’t think of something like that as a mistake on the part of the author, but rather a statement that leads us to our own musings about the past. Another example of that is how quickly David’s fame as the slayer of Goliath spread and how many people seemed to recognize who he was without being told. How? Were flyers of his likeness distributed?

The language of the book is another subject I would like to hear discussed. The only thing I didn’t like about Rise to Power was the frequent use of modern slang. I realize the author’s problem: she wants her characters to speak in the vernacular, but does anyone have a clue as to what that would have been? What kind of slang existed in Biblical times? And knowing that wouldn’t help in any case - since there was no English then, there is obviously no contemporary English equivalent to be had. So it is a problem that I don’t know how I would solve, though I feel there must be a better solution than using American teen slang adopted in the 1950s - such as “he goes” to mean “he says” or “out to lunch” to mean crazy or “nuts” to mean crazy (that’s actually recorded from 1846, but still modern for a story taking place in the first century BCE). The F-word (Amazon wouldn’t let me write it) is in a different category. It is a very old word - first recorded in print in the early 1500s and so should perhaps sound “old” enough to placate me. But considering how overused ad nauseam that word is, I think I would have preferred that the author simply make up some words. For me, words like the F one only pulled me out of the text and got me pondering about the language, rather than the story. If the whole book were written in that type of slang, that would be an entirely different experience - and not one I’m sure I would enjoy - but it is not. Most of the language sounds “King James-like” enough and “Alas” makes frequent appearances. So for me, the modern intrusions break the flow. Not enough, however, to make me stop reading. And as I stated above, this would be a great topic for a lively discussion, and I found myself willing to ignore this and some editing issues.

When Ms. Poznansky gets it right, she gets it brilliantly right and despite its flaws I thought this was an exceptionable book. I highly recommend it.

message 18: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I keep telling myself, Listen, just hear me out: this is foolish! It is utter lunacy on your part, and can result in nothing but disaster. You would end up lying there, a barely recognizable prostrate figure on the ground, separated limb from limb.
Oh, you would not know the first thing to do when the time comes, when you set foot on that battlefield, and feel the dirt under your tows sinking, drenched with urine, because other fools before you have lost their nerve right there, in that spot. And so would you, only to find out—by the heavy, pungent stink of it—what it means to be a coward.
On and on I go, pleading with myself. I say, Stop! Consider who you are: a child, who above all enjoys strumming a lyre, not only because it inspires you—but because it brings everyone else around you so close to tears. They cannot help but worship your innocent look, and the heavenly sound of your voice. Yes, they think you an angel! But of course, you know better...
Now, wipe that smirk off your face. Admit it: their adoration is something you need. You must have it in much the same way you need air. It fills a void inside.
So why turn into a fighter, all of a sudden? Beware of yourself. Beware of hasty moves in the wrong direction. War is a bloody game. Not for you!
But the more I try to reason with myself, the more I know: it is all talk, talk, talk—to no avail. I cannot listen, cannot heed any warning whatsoever, because I despise that voice, the meek, cautious voice in me. What is the value of life and limb, when a larger purpose is here, calling me? Oh Lord, how can I resist this pull, this incredible temptation, when thoughts of facing an enemy—the stronger, the better!—have been swelling inside my head for several weeks now?
What challenge could be more thrilling than finding a way to come out of this fight not only alive—but victorious? What better way to define who I am, than defining who my foe is—and having done so, defeating him?
I am lost... I am obsessed. Fame, grandeur, glory!

Get ★★★★★‬ RISE TO POWER
Ebook ★ http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U
Print ★ http://bookShow.me/098499324X

message 19: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Still seething with disappointment over losing Merav, I go on to moan, “He hates me, and so does Michelle! For her, any price is too much, but what her father demands of me is simply ridiculous.”
“Let me guess,” Joav narrows his eyes.”Are you to hunt a lion and tear it apart with your bare hands?”
“No—”
“Drag a leviathan to shore and cut open its belly?”
“No—”
“Slay a dragon?”
“I wish!”
“What, then?” Joav asks, but by the sly smile hiding under his mustache I suspect he already knows the answer.
“You playing with me?” I say. “I am to come up with a hundred Philistine foreskins.”
“Ha! Is that what a princess goes for these days?”
I answer by asking, “Can you believe it?”
Out of nowhere he pulls up a third knife, and without missing a beat throws it up. “Question is, how hard can it be to get it?”
I shrug. “At the time I still entertained the hope of reaching out to the enemy, obtaining what I need by diplomatic means.”
“Ha!” He catches the other two knives behind his back. “That doesn’t sound like fun to me, not at all.”
“I tried, really, I tried to talk sense to those infidels.”
“Let me guess: you told them all about the joys of converting to our faith.”
“How did you know?”
“Then you overstated the medical benefits of circumcision, and understated the pain.”
“I did.”
“No takers, ha?”
“None. Naturally I had no choice but to resort to military means.”
“By which you mean, slaughter.”
“Yes.”
Joav aims a knife at a target carved in the bark of the olive tree.
“I hope,” he shoots, “that the princess would love you for it.”
“She wouldn’t.”
“Forgive me for saying so, but her father is entitled to drive a stiff bargain, especially when he’s dealing with a commoner like you.”
I must admit, “Stiff it is.”

From my upcoming book, The David Chronicles, Vol. I

This is a quick paper cutout of a dragon, which I made yesterday,
and let loose in my library...
Who knows how high it will soar!

message 20: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments "I am here with her, yet this chill is meant for me alone.
I hold my breath until she lulls herself back to sleep. Faint shadows start dancing on the wall. I read the shapes, trying to invent someone, a listener.
You.
I whisper, Come in... Call me insane, who cares? Who the hell cares if you refuse to trust me, if you insist on clinging to your kind of reality, which is as dull as it is solid... Mine, I insist, is not a dream.
But even if it is... Even so, it is true! How can you deny it? Here is my story. I am opening it up to you.
I can see why at first glance what you see here—these letters which I jotted here, on these papyrus rolls—may seem scattered, even scary. I understand why you step back from my door, why you look over your shoulder to find the guard...
Come in! Will you? Will you read these scribblings? Can you see my sword, which I have drawn here, look! Can you see it the way I do, lifting out of the ink and into the air, turning magically over, around and around, right here in the center of the space?
If you can, then—by the flash of it—I shall take you along, to leap with me into the surface of the steely thing. Down into its depths. Into my reflection."

David in Rise to Power

Take a listen to the last part of this excerpt, read by the my voice artist, the prolific David George: Come in, will you?

message 21: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments David George has a deep, resonant voice, pronounced with a regal gravity, the way I have imagined for the role of David in my new novel, Rise to Power. Take a listen to his audition for the role, and you will hear for yourself how wonderfully David brings the king to life, in both instances: in old age, and in youth:

David playing David

message 22: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I am thrilled that my new book, Rise to Power, has just received a lovely review from Sheila Deeth, who is the author of the novel Divide by Zero and other books. With a Masters in mathematics from Cambridge University, England, she is a reviewer for Amazon, Goodreads, Gather and other reading sites. This is what she says:

4.0 out of 5 stars Great blend of ancient history and genuine character, January 29, 2014
By S. Deeth "Sheila Deeth" (OR, USA)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER) (VINE VOICE) (REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase

Uvi Poznansky’s Rise to Power is a tale of madmen and kings, youth and old age, prison cells and freedom’s ring. It’s drawn from Biblical history, enjoyed through the eyes of modernity, and it vividly recreates character and place as opposed to the more familiar caricature and reverence.

This David’s music affords him rock-star status in court; his imagination offers the surprise of opportunity; and his ambition drives friends, wives and story toward the well-known tale that his well-chosen historians will tell. From the loneliness of historical irony to the lure of significance, the author’s vivid prose blends the haunting tones of harp with harping determination, quoting and personifying the Psalms, offering intriguing answers to history’s queries, and revealing the warrior poet as a master of pithy quotes and political choice. It’s an intriguing tale, told in an intriguing blend of old and new, with the weight of faith and history nicely balanced by the immediate self-centeredness of youth.

Offering a tortuous course in court intrigue, and blending the violence of war with the music of influence, Rise to Power leads the immature and ambitious David to his throne, leaving the door open for growth in more Chronicles to come. I shall eagerly await them.

message 23: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments She goes over there, next to that window, which outlines her figure with silvery touches of moonlight. With slow movements Michal unties her silk belt. Her skirt slips, it cascades down from the waist, revealing another skirt underneath, and another one under that. Lace over silk over crinoline, each layer gives out a difference sound, a different rustle as they collapse onto the floor, creating one ripple around another around her.
Standing there she looks like the stem of a flower whose withered petals have crumpled around the rim of the vase.
With her narrow hips and her flat belly, which is matched by an equally flat chest, Michal looks like a boy. And trapped in that skinny body, pounding there with palpable longing, is the heart of a woman, a proud woman, cursed with love.
Next to the wall, moonlight glances off the silk strings of the harp. Come morning, I will do her bidding. I will play for her.

Get ★★★★★ RISE TO POWER
Audio coming soon!

message 24: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments It is such a thrill to read a review written by Michelle Bellon. She is a young yet prolific author. I have read two of her recent books, Embracing Me, Embracing You and her newest work, Rogue Alliance, both of which were absolutely great. This is what she posted on Amazon for my new novel, Rise to Power:

★★★★★ A Tale Untold, February 4, 2014
By Michelle Bellon
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)

Once again, Poznansky has taken an age old tale and breathed new life into it.

This story starts out a bit slow and even a little confusing as you try to gain ground on the emotional terrain of the characters. However, as you acquaint yourself with the prose and style you gain a whole new appreciation for the story as it unfolds.

For me, the crux of this complex story illustrates our underlying human nature and how we perceive not only ourselves, but how we see ourselves in the world. The conflict that we have between our ego self and our spirit self. This is what David struggles with and the author tells it with vivid imagery that gives texture and brings it to life.

Get ★★★★★ RISE TO POWER
Audiobook coming soon

message 25: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I am delighted to find a new review, written by the author of The Trap, D.W. Hendrick.
Here is what he writes about my book, Rise to Power:

★★★★★ Now is the time to break out that special bottle of fine wine., February 5, 2014
By D.W.Headrick - See all my reviews

Yes, the reading of "Rise To Power" is a special occasion, an event worthy of celebration. When a compilation of the finest works of Uvi Poznansky is amassed, and this will happen, "Rise to Power" will undoubtedly be a featured entry.

The good fortune I experienced upon discovering Ms. Poznansky's work has evolved into a literary blessing - one I eagerly share with all my friends and associates. She never disappoints. No, on the contrary, she always surprises us with her mastery of the scribal art form. If you haven't experienced her poetic style, her creative and uniquely intimate prose, and if you are a lover of exquisite writing, you have been needlessly deprived of a wonderful reading experience.

One of the greatest challenges an author can undertake is his or her effort to "humanize" an idol, a person made immortal because of their nobility or heroism. This is especially true when the subject is a religious symbol, a virtual Biblical icon throughout the ages. When Uvi Poznanski began her endeavor to reveal the humanity, to show us the heart of a boy, a king, an old man we now know as the Biblical King David, she undertook an awesome task, indeed. But, and this comes as no surprise, she has presented us an uncommon but wholly believable portrait that allows us to identify with, empathize with, and feel closer to the second King of the United Kingdom of Israel and Judah; closer than we might ever have imagined. And she does so with brilliant virtuosity. Here is a sampling of the author’s genius from Rise to Power as she describes the lamentations of an old King recalling and yearning for youth:

“And at the last moment before my eyes close, before it is time to sleep, the light grows stronger. It bursts out with a shine brighter than anything I have seen, anything I have imagined before. A gentle wind starts blowing into the silk curtains overhead, filling them till they become pregnant with air. In one breath they open wide apart, to reveal naked walls. A minute later, the entire palace crumbles to dust, and from it a great valley breaks open.
It is then that I realize one thing: I must have been mistaken. It is not an old man that is reflected here, in the metallic surface. Instead it is someone else, someone I wish I could beckon home one more time.

There is David, a young boy with sharp eyes. Morning breeze plays with his curls. It whispers words of hope and promise in his ear. Yet unscarred by battle, his arms are smooth, his hands—strong. They are the hands of a killer.
There is David. Focusing his eyes across the valley, the boy is looking for a way to become larger than life. There he stands, ready for his enemy. Ready for the kill.

I am his future, but he is oblivious to me. I smile at him.
He is slow to smile back.”

I need say no more. You have sampled the brilliance. Read Uvi Poznanky’s “Rise to Power”.

message 26: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments The life of David has numerous hair-raising moments. One of them is the slaying Goliath, after which the daughters of Israel come singing his praise. They do it with adoring voices that hide the horrific meaning of the words, words that glorify slaughter on the battlefield. Here is this moment, in the voice of David. Take a listen:

Saul has killed his thousands

message 27: by Uvi (last edited Mar 01, 2014 08:18PM) (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments In my new release, Rise to Power, the first time David senses a conflict in his soul is in his youth, at the seminal moment when he is about to say farewell to Saul, and go face Goliath in battle:

“I lay the armor down at the king’s feet. It is leaning down there against my broken lyre. And a thought crosses my mind: here are the relics I am about to leave behind. Combat gear on one side—my string instrument on the other. Which way will I be remembered? Am I a fighter—or a poet?”

To read more click here:
Inspired by art, here is the question: is David a killer or a poet?

message 28: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Last night I had the pleasure of listening to the last chapter, A Peek at Bathsheba, and I must tell you this: her voice is the richest, most velvety, warm and engaging you have ever heard, even if--or maybe because--it came from the throat of David George, the voice talent for my book.

And today I listened to the last two pieces in this puzzle: the opening and closing credits, which truly brought home to me the fact that the production is complete. Take a listen, click here:

The last piece in the puzzle is in

message 29: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Doing the happy dance! My new audiobook Rise to Power just came live on Audible! Check it out:

★ Hot new release★
Rise to Power
★ Ebook ★ Print ★ Audio 

message 30: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments During the production of Rise to Power I learned one thing about David George, the voice talent for the audiobook edition: he is a man of few words. He lets his thoughts resound in his voice, in the reading of the text. I indicated to him what passage I would choose for the audio sample (which is what you'll listen to on the Audible/Amazon product page), saying I loved the way he read it, teasing out notes of comedy at the beginning, followed by quick action, and culminating with deep, profound ruminations.

So when he asked me--once again--what passage I prefer for the voice sample, I knew he had a different passage in mind, only he would not say it outright...

To read more, click here: A madman is in the house

message 31: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Are you curious about how a narrator goes about his craft, how he goes through the process of becoming the character, and lifting him from the text to life? I know I am! Take a listen:

Becoming David

message 32: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments "Holding the sword upright over the head of the Philistine, and shaking a little on my feet, I know one thing for sure: by the rules of engagement, the outcome of this battle has already been decided by his fall. Now I have little time before they arrive here, I mean, our soldiers. They are sure to leap down into the valley, uttering wild battle cries and aiming their weapons at the backs of the enemy, who would be dispersing in confusion.
And time is dear, time something I need. I must finish the job quickly, because when a giant falls you take no chances. What if he has merely fainted—only to rise to his feet again in a few minutes, and come at me? And what if he is simply faking it?
So I take a deep breath. The sword feels ferociously heavy over me. Then in one fell swoop I bring it down with all my force, cutting deep into his throat.
This is the moment when I decide that in the future, I must refrain from describing all the gory details, I mean, how my victim coughs and sputters as the flesh starts tearing apart... How his arms flail, trying to reach for me, to yank the hilt of the sword out of my hold... How the color seems to be draining from his skin... How blood spurts from the wound, gushing from the sliced vein... How it shoots from his neck all over the blade, and all the way up to the palm of my hand.
This, I say to myself, used to be the hand of a musician. Is this the hand of a hero? A warrior? A killer? It seems to move by its own will, as if it belonged to someone else.
Who am I now?"

David in Rise to Power

I love it when my character says that he will refrain from describing all the gory details, only to go ahead and do it anyway, in full, vivid color, holding the dismembered head directly in front of our faces, so we can almost smell the blood, just the way artists have done over the centuries. There are countless paintings of David with the head of Goliath.

David with the head of Goliath by Caravaggio

message 33: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments "I do not trust a single one of the Kish clan—not even Jonathan, who declares he loves me.
I keep him at arm’s length, and give careful thought to what his motives may be when he says things like, “My heart is knit with yours.” Being Saul’s eldest son, he is the heir to the throne, so what does he want with someone like me, an outsider?

To read more, and take a listen, click here: My heart is knit with yours? What does that mean? Behind the scenes discussion

message 34: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments And so, slowly climbing the path, nearly collapsing under the weight of my trophy, I let the troops follow me. At last I arrive at the top, bringing the battle to the Philistines. They gape upon the dismembered head of their champion, and when they notice that it is coming at them, they start gasping and shrieking in fear. A great number of them leave their shields and weapons behind, because the lighter they are—the faster they can bolt from this place.
What happens next seems like a daze to me. Having been a child entertainer up to this point, I have never been to a battlefield before, let alone in this new role, this odd public capacity as half David and half Goliath. Constantly advancing I feel the earth rumbling under my feet as the Philistines flee in fright before me.

I sense heat, the heat of battle, sizzling in my veins. I hear a flourish of metal, the swoosh of arrows flying back and forth on all sides. Without looking down I step over the bodies of the fallen, the wounded, the weak… Guided mostly by a sense of touch I am unable to make any distinction between theirs and ours.

And for a minute I think I spot someone out there, a tiny outline of him back there on the ledge, on our side of the valley. I know it must be Saul, because the sun hits a metallic thing on his head, and at once it comes aglitter.

Then the sweat runs into my eyes, and I can no longer find him out there, nor can I locate his crown.

David in Rise to Power

My story is greatly inspired by the differences in depicting the story by artists throughout the ages. Here, for example, the way David is presented in Barry Moser's art. His is a young shepherd, a modern character, one that may be living right now, perhaps in a third-world country. Ambition is burning in his eyes. He wants to become larger than life. His look is directed at you. You become part of the scene. You are Goliath.

Compare this to the the wood engraving by Louis August Gustave Doré. His David is an iconic hero, with a great, dramatic flair suggested in the folds of his tunic. At his moment of victory, he indeed becomes 'half David, half Goliath' as I suggest in my story. Here, David is more than a character--he becomes a symbol of the possibility of the weak defeating the mighty, with a glorification of war, and with the help of God.

David by Barry Moser

David slays Goliath by Dore

message 35: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments In a word: Fabulous!

Christian Ashley is an author of Historical Romance, Paranormal Fiction, and Erotic Fantasy. All of her Historical Fiction novels, Rose of Gwynedd, In Daddy's Arms, and Dignity, came to her through dreams that evolved with ample research into the historical period being presented. I am truly honored that she posted this review for for the audiobook edition of Rise to Power:

Overall ★★★★★
Performance ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★

What made the experience of listening to Rise to Power the most enjoyable?
Uvi Poznansky combined her superb knowledge of Biblical history and her amazing sense of humor to create David’s story. In Rise to Power, David is looking back on his life and telling not only his story, but how he thought and felt at the time.
Because Rise to Power is told in first person by the protagonist, David, his-story literally comes to life!

What did you like best about this story?
With David at the center during a time of war and constant upheaval for the people, his story, as written through Poznansky and narrated by George, made me laugh out loud more times than I could count. Rise to Power in many ways, makes sense of some of the difficult to understand and nonlinear parts of the Bible.

What about David George’s performance did you like?
George was expressive, articulate, and engaging. Very professional - serious when he should be and appropriately amused when called for.

Was this a book you wanted to listen to all in one sitting?
I would have liked to listen to Rise to Power for it's entirety but did it over a few nights.

Any additional comments?
Of all the audiobooks I've listened to thus far, Rise to Power has been my favorite.

Sherri Christian

message 36: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments “But my music—”
“It awakens something in me,” he groans, pressing a hand against his temple. “Something I wish to ignore. An unspeakable sort of pain. There’s a demon in me, and I know—I just know he’ll break loose, he’ll take over, the moment I’ll let myself soften.”

To read more, and listen to the narration by David George, click here:
The other side of obedience

message 37: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Here, on my ear, I can feel the tickle of her curl, which must have slinked out of the towel wrapping her head. And I can smell the scent of shampoo as she leans closer to whisper, “Get in.”
In confusion I whisper back, “Get in—what?”
“The tub,” she breathes in my ear. “What else?”

To read more click
I must guard myself from her, because she knows me

message 38: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Writing about David as a fugitive, I asked myself, where would he hide in the wilderness? What would that place feel like? How would it look? How would the place reflect the mode he would find himself in, during this testing time of his life, when he is called a traitor?

And once I found that place in my imagination, the question became: how do I convey the mood in this place? How would the mood change from bitterness to hope? And as an author, how do I bring all of this to life, by painting images with words? How do I use the rhythms and pauses of David's inner reflection?

Not only do I talk to myself, but out of loneliness I answer back, too. I say, Forget Happily Ever After. Old legends are nothing but deceit. In reality, it is the political needs of the state, it is money and power that dictate royal family unions—not some emotion, a fickle, faithless emotion that is known to be fleeting.
Bitterness is eating at me. I stagger into the darkest nook, deep down in my underground hiding place, and curl myself there, unable to stop seething at my misfortune, and most of all, at her.
“Michal, perhaps I don’t deserve a fine, highly schooled princess such as you. All the same, thank you,” I hurl at her, forgetting for a moment that she is absent. “Thank you for the education, dear. I won’t forget it.”
For a long while, maybe days, I stare at the ceiling of the cave, where a slow, mind numbing drizzle is heard, and where calcium salts, deposited by the drip of water, have been forming over innumerable centuries into what looks to me, at first, like icicles.
Then something stirs in me, an awakening. All of a sudden I note the miracle of their stony, frozen trickle, and it takes my breath away. Nothing in the king’s palace compares to this beauty. Here is the process of creation, eternity flowing in a drop.
If not for the hunger I could stay here, in this cave under the stalactites, till the end of time. I imagine that long before that, my bones would be unearthed here, and brought before the king.

David in Rise to Power

My quick charcoal drawing was done to the sound of music. It is a landscape of music, if you will, which conveys the same awe expressed in the excerpt above: "Here is the process of creation, eternity flowing in a drop."

★ Love reading? Treat yourself to a gift ★
Rise to Power
★ Audio ★ Ebook ★ Print 

message 39: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments The princess lets me down through the window, lowering me one knot after another. The bed of roses is far beneath my feet, and it looks unreal and a bit eerie from here, because of the strange shadows cast every which way by torches passing through the garden, and by sudden flashes of lightning. I am hanging on for dear life, swaying in the wind between heaven and hell.

Meanwhile, from the chamber above me, a knock is heard...

To read more, click here:
I land with a shriek, which is swallowed at once by the clap of thunder

message 40: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I got tagged by Christopher Bynum on his blog The Black Writer to carry the torch by taking part in a blog tour, in which we discuss our writing process.
What am I working on? How does my release differ from others of its genre? Why do I write what I do? How does my writing process work?

Click here to find out:
The Writing Process

message 41: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Two new reviews for Rise to Power:

★★★★★ In Rise to Power (The David Chronicles), author Uvi Poznansky does exactly that.,June 3, 2014
By Amazon Customer "lokhos" (USA)
Verified Purchase

"There are limits to power. When afflicted by an unexplained illness, even a king can be placed in quarantine," says David, our narrator, in the prologue to this story. Yes, THAT David, of Old Testament fame. Now he speaks to us through Uvi Poznansky's prose.

With nearly his next breath, David asks, "Why write another psalm? Who would read it? Who would take it to heart?" You'll read it; you'll take it to heart, once you start this book, a glorious but troubling journey into an ancient mind and a riven heart, impossible to put down.

In previous works, Uvi Poznansky has shown us her well-tuned ear, her lyrical bent. Now she's harnessed these to a chariot worthy of a hero. Rise to Power is a grand accomplishment, the like of which is very rare.

For a trip into a noble mind, buy this book and let it whirl you away. You'll be glad you did.

★★★★★ Inside David, June 4, 2014
By Sharon "Sharon" (Santa Monica, CA)
Verified Purchase

Uvi Poznansky gets inside the head and under the skin of the Biblical David in RISE TO POWER (The David Chronicles Book 1). While well- researched and relying on the well-known details of the Biblical story this book enters imaginatively into the thoughts and feelings of David, presenting in his own words the complex character in a new and engaging way. Traditionalists might object to the character as he emerges in all his ambitiousness, venality, ruthlessness - and yet tender sensitivity. This is a human portrait of an exceptional man in exceptional circumstances, and whether the reader is religious in an orthodox way or not he can relate to the humanity of this fascinating man as Poznansky had portrayed him. The story is rich in sensual description that reflects the writer's artistic talents (she is a painter, a sculptor, a poet - as well as a fiction writer); for me the most interesting use of language comes in the witty and sometimes anachronistic "modernization" of the narrative that draws the contemporary reader into the head of David himself. He becomes someone we think we can understand and relate to (I am trying to avoid that hated word "relatable") and, in his rich humanity, he reaches across the ages and teaches us something about ourselves.

message 42: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments We’re packing our suitcase for the journey ahead
Cheeze, grapes, wine, and a long loaf of bread
We’ll give gifts to the winners, share plenty of food
So excited to meet you, such is our mood!

Train tickets are ready, each one with a stub
Let’s pack Donna’s series: The Single Daddy Club
Barbara’s Wendy Darlene Comedy Mystery
Aaron’s cozy read, The Gus Legarde Mystery

Here's the Gladstone series by John, and at the extremes
Here’s James’s what-if kind of series about Dreams
Last but not least, The David Chronicles, about a great king
These are our books, which to you we will bring!

Hop Upon a Train of Stories
And join to win our books!

message 43: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments "Engrossing, Personable, and Poetic"--a lovely new audible review by Jennifer Garcia for the audiobook edition of Rise to Power:

Overall ★★★★★
Performance ★★★★★
Story ★★★★★

"Engrossing, Personable, and Poetic"
This is the second book of Uvi's I've read and I enjoyed it. First, I'd like to say that the audio version is incredible and the narrator excellent. He truly did a wonderful job telling this story.

I am not well versed in the bible and did not really know the story of David. So this story was like reading any other historical fiction, but so much better.

The story begins with David ill and dying. As he fades away, losing his kingdom, he tells the story of his life. It is an interesting and well told story. It was history told in a modern way, which made it so easy to understand. There were no complicated words to look up or try to understand. It was all very straight forward. It made the flow of the story seamless.

David grew up with a struggle but a lot of smarts or luck on his side. As much trouble as he found, he seems to have weaseled his way out of it all. I was completely engrossed once David began to tell his story, and found his story telling to be personable and poetic.

If you like historical fiction and great story telling, I recommend this book to you.

message 44: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Then—still with her arms locked around me—she lays her head back, for which I am grateful. This way she cannot see how I weep, she cannot suspect that the pillow under my chin is turning soggy. Oh damn. I cannot stop these tears.
Trapped here in her embrace, I am mourning something I cannot snatch back from the hand of time. Something that by some spell used to let me feel invincible. I never thought I would lose it--

To read more click here:
she lays her head back, for which I am grateful

message 45: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Come in! Will you? Will you read these scribblings? Can you see my sword, which I have drawn here, look! Can you see it the way I do, lifting out of the ink and into the air, turning magically over, around and around, right here in the center of the space?

To read more, and listen to the beautiful narration by David George, click here:
Come in! Will you? Will you read these scribblings? Can you see my sword?

message 46: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments “Go, why don’t you go back home,” he mutters, dismissing me with a casual wave of the hand.
“Please,” I say. “Let me serve you. You’ll find my music soothing, I trust.”
“Trust?” he says, locking eyes with me.
“Just so, your majesty. Trust!”
“There is no such thing, where I’m sitting.”

To read more & listen to the beautiful narration by David George, click here:
Why don't you go back home

message 47: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I am thrilled to find this review, written by the high-ranking Amazon reviewer and author of historical fiction books, Christoph Fischer. This is what he says about my trilogy, The David Chronicles:

★★★★★ Great series December 20, 2014
By ChristophFischerBooks TOP 500 REVIEWER

"Rise to Power (The David Chronicles)" by Uvi Poznansky is another eye opening book, based on a biblical theme but written with a modern mind and perspective. Without corrupting the original historic-biblical story Poznansky takes us into the world and minds of well known biblical figures, such as the first King of Israel, his rivals and his lovers.
A man of flesh and blood, with sexual urges, pride and huge powers of reflection and analysis David is a superb character, real, with bite and of the human race - quite different from the biblical myth that has been created around him.
We see him as he slowly rises to power, from a small soldier to military leader, his military campaigns, his ambitions and the rivalry over the throne; we see the husband to Michal - his first wife and the sometimes strange 'renaissance' man. The novel is historical fiction, biblical fiction and simply excellent fiction.
“A Peek at Bathsheba” by Uvi Poznansky is yet another one of her great Bible-inspired books. Nobody understands better to utilise existing stories that many of us are familiar with already – at least to some extent – and give them a new lease of life, a new angle and makes us see different sides to those historical, religious and mythical characters. Who was David really? A hero or a product of his circumstances, of coincidence and skilled manipulation?
“The Edge of Revolt (The David Chronicles Book 3)” by Author Uvi Poznansky is another amazing and spell binding book about the biblical King David. We meet him at a progressed age where his family life is turned upside down by the sexual escapes of his children, mainly that of his son Amnon.
To see his own reflection in the son who inherited the lust from David himself was one of the most extraordinary moments in reading this novel for me.
Such are the thoughtful illustrations of a well-known biblical character, modernised by language and brought to contemporary relevance. Humanised to flesh and blood we get to experience what often had the mere relevance as a myth, fable or saga. This is a powerful portrayal of the man behind the myth. Not always as we would like to see it, but brought to life with poignancy and depth.
The writing is sharp and beautiful, the characters hard to forget and the story well developed.
A psychological profile, a story of king, his family and ancient Israel, this has something for historians and fans of modern literature. Artful, courageous and powerful.

Get ★★★★★ THE DAVID CHRONICLES
♥ http://BookShow.me/B00QYGF6WG

The David Chronicles (boxed set) by Uvi Poznansky

message 48: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I am so thrilled to discover such an eloquent review, written by a Top 500 Amazon Reviewer! Here is what Dii wrote, on her great review blog and on Amazon, for my novel Rise to Power:

★★★★★ Trip Beyond Time into the Heart & Mind of Uvi's David, January 5, 2015
By Dii (Florida) (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Verified Purchase

Who would dare to take on a legendary Biblical figure and make him into a flawed mere mortal, enamored by power, beauty and a lust for life’s treasures and pleasures of the flesh? The answer is Uvi Poznansky in a trilogy starting with Rise to Power, a journey through the life, times, and mind of David, slayer of Goliath, King, poet and lover. Ms. Poznansky humanizes David by entering her David’s head, finding how his thought processes work and laying the foundation for a stunning read where one sees, feels and breathes the ancient air while never noticing the dialogue’s modern feel. We aren’t asked to translate meanings, Ms. Poznansky wants us to relate to and understand the man who mesmerized his world with his actions, good or bad. Sit back and get lost in a history that comes alive with her words.

David reflects on his life as he becomes frail, going back to his youth, the time when he thought he could never die because life still held so many challenges for him to conquer. He relives his quest for power, his plans, his scheming and his artistic side. With a velvet tongue he causes listeners to swoon, with his thirst for sexual conquest, he takes what he wants, when he wants it and makes no apologies. The world is his; he can read people, decipher their intent and knows that only a fool would allow historians to paint a true picture of him. That said, what has Uvi Poznansky done? Has she placed a fictional blot on a man who represented victory and triumph in some many ways or has she put him in perspective?

David was a man, no more, no less, but Ms. Poznansky gave him renewed flesh and bones, along with each character that crossed David’s path or impacted his life. David comes to life under her carefully guided hand without any religious leaning, just a wonderfully written tale of what David may have been, may have felt and may have done. The blending of fact and fiction is flawless, unlike our David. Again, Ms. Poznansky adds her distinctive signature to historical fiction as she dazzles the minds and imaginations of her readers.

Get ★★★★★ RISE TO POWER
♥ Ebook ♥ http://bookShow.me/B00H6PMZ0U
♥ Audio ♥ http://tinyurl.com/rise-audio
♥ Print ♥ http://bookShow.me/098499324X

message 49: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments Here is a wonderfully eloquent review describing each volume my trilogy, The David Chronicles as "Infusing events with today's passions and her unique style":

★★★★★ Wonderful series!, January 12, 2015
By Warrior Princess (Karmoy, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The David Chronicles: Boxed Set (Kindle Edition)
What a wonderful series!

Rise to Power

This adaptation of a familiar story from the Old Testament is unique and feels very modern. From the very first line of the prologue, the story drew me in, partly because of the masterful use of the first person by the author, and partly because of her engaging writing style. The scene of King David as a prisoner trying to escape and tell his story to liberate his soul is compelling and highly readable.
And then the story gets even better. Like all Uvi Poznansky's books, this one has crisp and engaging dialogue, well-drawn characters and a unique plot. It was interesting for me to see the events from King David's perspective and trace his journey from childhood to maturity and right into today's time, making the story relevant and engaging for today's readers. In this story, King David is not a mythical hero - he comes across as a real person, imperfect, flawed, and experiencing conflicting emotions - and that makes him so much more relatable, and his story - so much more compelling. A great read! Five stars.

A Peek at Batsheba

An enjoyable and thought-provoking book! Uvi Poznansky makes the story of King David accessible and interesting. King David is very much a human being before he is King and, like all people, he has human struggles and emotions, eternal and ever-lasting.
While Uvi Poznansky's book clearly stems from her extensive knowledge of the biblical story, research, and art history (she's an artist herself, too!), this book is a work of fiction, written in a contemporary voice that makes it much easier for today's readers to relate to the story and to King David.

Descriptions in "A Peek at Bathsheba" are beautiful, vivid, majestic and poetic. The book is a work of art but it is also an engaging story - what a treat! I love Uvi Poznansky's subtle humor and insightful commentaries. I'm curious to see how the change in Bathsheba that is beginning in this book will play out in the next book in the David Chronicles series. Five stars!

The Edge of Revolt

Torn in a heart-breaking dilemma between loyalty and justice, King David makes the choice dictated by his heart, and that results in a series of grave consequences for the king himself, his family, and country. His future life, legacy, and the potential successor are now all unclear. Like in her previous books, Uvi Poznansky masterfully interprets biblical events for the modern reader, infusing them with today's passions and her unique style, making the old stories highly relatable, engaging, and emotional. What a great series!

Get ★★★★★ The David Chronicles
http://BookShow.me/B00QYGF6WG
#trilogy #series

The David Chronicles (boxed set) by Uvi Poznansky

message 50: by Uvi (new) - added it

Uvi Poznansky | 693 comments I bring myself to breathe in her ear, “I know I don’t deserve you.”
“Indeed,” she pulls her hand back. “You got that right.”
“Kiss me, Michal.”
And with a stiff upper lip she says, dryly, “No, not tonight.”

To read more click here:
I know I don't deserve you

« previous 1