Chicks On Lit discussion

Other Hot Book Discussions > What is your favourite Biography/Autobiography & Why?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) My favourite is 'The Mitford Girls' by Mary S. Lovell is my all-time favourite - about the lives of 6 extraordinary sisters living at the early part of the 20th C.

* Nancy Mitford was the eldest and a talented author, with many famous friends.

* Diana Mitford first married into the Guiness family then controversially divorced to live as the mistress of Fascist leader Sir Oswald Mosely, who she later married. She met Hitler a number of times and spent a lot of the war in prison because of her fascist sympathies, which she never truely denounced in all of her long life.

* Unity Mitford, also met (and fell in love with) Hitler, who admitted her into his inner circle, when war was declared she shot herself in the head (but survived).

* Jessica Mitford (Decca) married her cousin Esmond Rommily, became a communist and ran off to the Spanish Civil War. They ended up in America but Esmond was killed in a plane crash and his body never found. She later married an American and lived there for the rest of her life - she found herself subject to McCarthy's questioning for her communist sympathies.

* Pamela was a quiet sister, friend of poet John Betjeman, who was in love with her. She married Millionaire scientist Derek Jackson.

* Deborah Mitford was the youngest - she married the Duke of Devonshire and turned Chatsworth into the most successful country home in Britain.

This is a really riveting story and a true - must-read.

Which are your favourites?

Ally

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* I really don't read alot of autobiography's but one I read awhile back was Paula Deen's. I liked it because she was so open that it felt like I was just sitting down and talking to her.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I read it in high school, and it remains in my top 10 favorites. A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah was also good, though thoroughly depressing.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments I really enjoyed reading about Katharine Hepburn; Me and Kate Remembered. I recently got Undiscovered by Debra Winger. Has anyone read that one?

message 5: by Victoria (last edited Jun 21, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Victoria | 7 comments I loved Mark Oliver Everett from the Eels autobiography - Thinks the grandchildren should know. I highly recommend it.

message 6: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2564 comments Mod
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings I really liked Me Stories of My Life too. I started to read Churchill and really like it but I have to take it in bits. I love any biography on Lincoln also.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Sarah wrote: "The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I read it in high school, and it remains in my top 10 favorites. A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah was also good, though thoroughly depressing. "

"A Long Way Gone" was so good but early on, when things were already getting bad, it was hard to keep reading because you knew things were going to get worse! The saving thing for me was knowing that it was an autobiography so I knew that Beah had not only survived but made a good life for himself.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsaysread) Yeah, that's true. I was cringing throughout most of the book - he went through a lot of pain. I'm glad that he's carved out a better life for himself.

message 9: by Tahleen (new)

Tahleen I really like Bill Bryson's The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid A Memoir, and I'm reading Candy Girl A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper by Diablo Cody right now (she wrote the screenplay for Juno) and it's really funny. I also love Ruth Reichl.

message 10: by Mandy Sue (new)

Mandy Sue (mettakaruna) | 811 comments As a kid, I think I read every book on Helen Keller. I loved her story. The Miracle Worker was probably my favorite. She just amazed me and helped me realize anything is possible if you put your mind to it.

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Good question. I don't know if it counts, but I really enjoyed Sons of Camelot The Fate of an American Dynasty. I'm fascinated by the Kennedy family and this look at their family was really well written.

I'm also a huge Audrey Hepburn fan and enjoyed Audrey Style.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Katie wrote: "Good question. I don't know if it counts, but I really enjoyed Sons of Camelot The Fate of an American Dynasty. I'm fascinated by the Kennedy family and this look at their family was..."

Oh, I loved Audrey Hepburn--added this to my TBR list. Could anyone get away with those eyebrows these days?

message 13: by Katie (last edited Jun 23, 2009 08:49AM) (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 319 comments Lisa wrote: "Katie wrote: "Good question. I don't know if it counts, but I really enjoyed Sons of Camelot The Fate of an American Dynasty. I'm fascinated by the Kennedy family and this look at th..."

I'm about 3 weeks past due for a salon visit so I'm giving her a run for her money. Not sure that I'm pulling it off quite as glamorously as she did, though. LOL

message 14: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm not sure which was my favourite biography. I always find them fascintating and will pick one up in the bookshop if it is on special offer. I have one to read about Christopher Reeve and his wife Dana- which I am sure will be a real tear jerker.

message 15: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) I love a good biography, particularly spectacular women from history. - I was looking for a few new suggestions and will have to follow through on a few you have mentioned.

I'm particularly glad Tera reminded me about 'I know why the caged bird sings' - I remember wanting to read this a year or so ago and it went completely out of my mind so thats the next one on my list!