Author Support Group discussion

Suggestion box > Paid-For Reviews

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Jaimey (jaimeygrant) | 287 comments Mod
The topic of paid-for reviews has been touched on in some other groups and can be a topic of contention with some. I wanted to bring it up here for the benefit of some of our newer goodreads members so they can make an educated decision.

My opinion: I don't think paid-for reviews are worth the money they cost. Most people can tell a review that's been paid for. I've always felt that the book itself should be payment enough.

There are some great comments on a recent blog post I did on the importance of reviews.

Reviews and the Reader

Thoughts?

message 2: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Darn it Jaimey, one of our Goodread friends may get upset with me again. Although we like one another, we definitely disagree about paid for reviews. As I share in my May 29th blog:

I am a book reviewer and I am strongly opposed to paying for reviews. I don’t have respect for “paid for” reviews regardless of how well written they are. That is why I can’t consider purchasing them for my novel. Something just feels really wrong about them to me. It feels like paying for a handsome date, phony and pathetic---even if he is handsome, even if you have a great time at the prom, school reunion, wedding, or whatever. You must choose for yourself if you wish to consider paid for reviews. I know some people want them. That is fine. I just don’t want them for my books.

message 3: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

D.B. wrote: "Darn it Jaimey, one of our Goodread friends may get upset with me again. Although we like one another, we definitely disagree about paid for reviews. As I share in my May 29th blog:

I am a bo..."

I admit, DB, I was hoping to get your opinion. I love your analogy of a paid-for prom date. It's brilliant. :o)

I have to agree that something just feels icky about knowing I PAID for a glowing review. And if it's not glowing? AHH! Then I've just paid $50 for someone to tell the world I suck. Either way kind of sounds like the losing end for me but the reviewer gets $50 from the deal.

message 4: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) One thing to be aware of... some sites have both free and paid-for reviews and make no distinction, and even if you get a free one it may look like it was paid for. I got a free one from a site without noticing the paid-for section... made it look like I dished out the dough for it, which irked me somewhat.

It may take some time to find the right non-paid sites to send a book off to, but it's so worth it. Aside from anything else, it gives you a real kick when you get 10/10 for a review just because the reviewer actually loved the book.

message 5: by D.B. (new)

D.B. Pacini (DBPacini) Gina, that’s a great point. Authors must check out the sites to make sure they know/understand all the services being offered. Good free review opportunities are available if you are willing to do a little hunting for them.

One thing I’ve recently noticed, authors are contacting me and asking me to consider reading their book because they’ve read my reviews on Goodreads and on other sites. It got me to thinking and I now review the reviews associated with books comparable to my novel. I contact some of the review posters and ask them if they will consider reading my novel and writing a review. It is an easy way to locate reviewers that like books similar to yours.

As I told Jaimey and others on Goodreads, I’m a stronger believer that one must collect supportive reviews BEFORE their books are published. I contacted most of the people that have given me a review and asked them to read my novel’s manuscript. I didn’t know the people, I researched them and felt they’d like my book based on what they shared on their websites or in interviews. I had excellent reviews displayed on my website before I secured a publisher.

message 6: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Madison Paine (madisonpaine) | 132 comments Mod
This is an interesting concept. So basically you pay people to read your book and post an official review somewhere? Are they posting in high profile places? For me to pay these people would have to be in Oprah's personal book club or a staff writer for the New York Times.....

message 7: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Madison wrote: "For me to pay these people would have to be in Oprah's personal book club or a staff writer for the New York Times....."

Exactly! :o)

message 8: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda | 7 comments I've never heard of this before. But people will do anything for money. I know this is off topic but I was considering giving a copy of my book to a few professors to circulate, I read on a website where a guy said that he knew someone who bought books from professors and they pocketed the money.

message 9: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) I wouldn't pay for a review. My book should be payment enough, like you said Jaimey...but, yeah, Oprah's book club - I'd pay for that! ;)

I've been researching sites for free reviews and that is taking a long time. The States is really a secondary market for me so I want it to be as well-placed a review as possible.

message 10: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Bernadette wrote: "I wouldn't pay for a review. My book should be payment enough, like you said Jaimey...but, yeah, Oprah's book club - I'd pay for that! ;)

I've been researching sites for free reviews and that is t..."

Let me tell you...I have a lot of fans in Canada. I have a really active Facebook fan page and I think I am going to have to make a trip up there. Bernadette are you from Canada?

message 11: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Madison wrote: "Let me tell you...I have a lot of fans in Canada. I have a really active Facebook fan page and I think I am going to have to make a trip up there. Bernadette are you from Canada?"

Nope, I'm American, but I live in Egypt. Facebook is really popular here and I do have a page for my book. How do you keep your fans/page active? Any tips?

message 12: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Bernadette wrote: "Madison wrote: "Let me tell you...I have a lot of fans in Canada. I have a really active Facebook fan page and I think I am going to have to make a trip up there. Bernadette are you from Canada?"

..."

I ran an Ad for a few weeks. Facebook ads are very affordable in my opinion. I also try to interact with my fans. Last week I has 66 fans this week I have 187. I am so new at it, I'm sure I will be able to share more the longer I do it.

message 13: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) I only have 14 people in my group, and I haven't got a clue what to do with it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gina-Co...

message 14: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina wrote: "I only have 14 people in my group, and I haven't got a clue what to do with it.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Gina-Co...
"

Well, I'm about to make it 15! Just nurture your fans and interact with them. If they are reading or have plan on reading it encourage them to suggest your fan page to their friends.

message 15: by Jj, Co-Moderator (new)

Jj Ritonya (JJRitonya) | 67 comments Mod
Another great idea! Facebook fan exchange. I am now a fan of you on Facebook Gina.
Here's my fan page.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/JJ-Rito...

message 16: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Thanks Madison! What's your fan page's address?

I'm now a fan, JJ.

Anyone else with one?

message 17: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina wrote: "Thanks Madison! What's your fan page's address?

I'm now a fan, JJ.

Anyone else with one?

"

My fan site is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pa.... Thanks for joining.

message 18: by Bernadette (new)

Bernadette (bernadettesimpson) Fanned everyone! Madison - I like your discussion starters on your page.

Some of you are already fans, but here's my page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/An-ABC-...

message 19: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Madison and Bernadette, you have been fanned :o)

message 20: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Hi, everyone. Jj, the Facebook fan exchange idea is great! I've become a fan of everyone's page listed so far. :-) Here is mine: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sharon-...

Madison, I particularly like your chapter snapshot idea and may do something similar. :-)

message 21: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Hey, all! Just FYI: I started another thread, specifically for fan page links. There is a lovely list and everything. :o) I have already added the links listed here.

Facebook Fan Pages

message 22: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Bernadette wrote: "Fanned everyone! Madison - I like your discussion starters on your page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/An-ABC-..."

Thanks! I'm the only one talking right now my fan page. Hopefully when they actually read my book we will have more to talk about. My book has not been out a month yet and people just started having their orders arrive this week.

Hey, I'm noticiing it is not that easy to get people to talk on threads in Goodreads. So far this is the only group I really have discussion in. I have tried to join other groups more connected to my cause but so far, it's been a bust. I am glad I have you guys, or I would be bored to death.

message 23: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Gina wrote: "Madison and Bernadette, you have been fanned :o)"

Thanks Gina.

message 24: by Madison, Co-Moderator (new)

Sharon wrote: "Hi, everyone. Jj, the Facebook fan exchange idea is great! I've become a fan of everyone's page listed so far. :-) Here is mine: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sharon-......"

Became a fan Sharon!

message 25: by Jaimey, Co-Moderator (new)

Sharon wrote: "Hi, everyone. Jj, the Facebook fan exchange idea is great! I've become a fan of everyone's page listed so far. :-) Here is mine: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sharon-......"

Sharon, I added you to our list of fan pages: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

And now I'm a fan. :o)

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Madison wrote: "Bernadette wrote: "Fanned everyone! Madison - I like your discussion starters on your page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/An-ABC-......"

A few people have chimed in on my page, which makes me feel very good. I want it to be interactive.

I need to get busy and order some of your books, folks! I've got three going at the moment (I also review for Amazon Vine), so it'll be a week or so, LOL.