Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Similar to Santa Olivia

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B (new)

B | 17 comments I just read (and LOVED) Santa Olivia and I'd like to find more books like it.

I haven't read any other books by Jacqueline Carey, but from what I'm seeing they're not quite the same as Santa Olivia (not saying they'd be bad, but if I'm looking for something like it, they might not be the best choice).

The characters and writing were just excellent.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 19 comments lol Her other books are nothing like Santa Olivia. Similar books - you mean books where people experiment with other people's DNA?

message 3: by B (new)

B | 17 comments No, not really looking for a specific storyline like that -- any storyline would be okay -- I just meant really good writing and good characters.

message 4: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 19 comments Hmm Well I was guessing because her other books are good, but closer to traditional fantasy and Santa Olivia is either urban fantasy or science fiction. There is no magic and the explanation is scientific, but it has the feel of urban fantasy, you know?

Closer to science fiction spectrum there is Catherine Asaro's Ruby books. (The Last Hawk) Elizabeth Bear (Undertow), who writes both fantasy and science fiction. Closer to the urban fantasy I think there is Skinwalker by Faith Hunter. But none of these are really like Santa Olivia. Ohh one I really like are the Kate Daniels books by Ilona Andrews.

message 5: by B (new)

B | 17 comments Thanks! I do like the Kate Daniels books -- don't know the others, so I'll check them out.

message 6: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 19 comments ohh well if you like Kate Danials there are a ton of books you could try out. Jim Butcher, Karen Chance, Patricia Briggs, Jeaniene Frost, Kim Harrison, Simon Green, Charlaine Harris, etc - all them are urban fantsy writers

message 7: by B (new)

B | 17 comments I've read a bunch of Briggs, Frost, and Harris (really like them). I know of the others -- I'll explore more. GoodReads is helpful for that. I just was hoping to find something in her style -- the writing was noticeably different from other authors (I thought).

message 8: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 19 comments It is. I am not sure which comes closest Santa Olivia's style.

message 9: by Desiree (new)

Desiree Heres a great site I found recently when looking for authors similar to the ones I enjoy. Just type in the author's name and this literature map will give you names of similar authors.

Good luck!

http://www.literature-map.com/

message 10: by K (new)

K | 20 comments Desiree wrote: "Heres a great site I found recently when looking for authors similar to the ones I enjoy. Just type in the author's name and this literature map will give you names of similar authors.

Good luc..."

That link is really fun... :)

message 11: by formlit (new)

formlit  | 19 comments Hey yeah that's a great site! thanks! ohh i did anne bishop and Jacqueline Carey was the closest!!!

message 12: by Nlydia (new)

Nlydia | 1 comments I've enjoyed all of her books, but Santa Olivia was quite different from the others. Of course, they are all really set in alternative histories so in that way they are quite similar. They're all great reads!

message 13: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments Bonnie wrote: "I just read (and LOVED) Santa Olivia and I'd like to find more books like it.

I haven't read any other books by Jacqueline Carey, but from what I'm seeing they're ..."

I just finished Santa Olivia (still have to write my review. I really liked it. I love her other work, too, but be warned it's completely different. It's very well done high fantasy, but not for the squeamish.

What were the elements you particularly liked? The setting? The "otherness" of Loup?

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy (crowgirl) Schnaucl wrote: "I just finished Santa Olivia (still have to write my review. I really liked it. I love her other work, too, but be warned it's completely different. It's very well done high fantasy, but not for the squeamish."

I love Carey's writings. Has anyone read her 2 book series (also printed as one) 'The Sundering'? I loved that it was from the point of view of what you'd call the Devil. Oh, and thanks for the heads-up on Santa Olivia.

message 15: by Schnaucl (new)

Schnaucl | 30 comments Crowgirl wrote: "Has anyone read her 2 book series (also printed as one) 'The Sundering'? I loved that it was from the point of view of what you'd call the Devil."

You know, I haven't, but I've owned the first book for a few years now. It's on my (lengthy) TBR list. I'm trying to alternate books I own with library books so I'll have to move it up the list.

message 16: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 233 comments I'm currently reading Naamah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey, which is not UF, but Santa Olivia is next on my TBR.

Shomeret

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

I just bought Santa Olivia and I can't wait to read it!!

message 18: by K (new)

K | 20 comments I just saw on that there will be a sequel to Santa Olivia, Santinos at Large! So exciting, the link to the post I found it on is below:

http://www.scifiguy.ca/2009/10/jacque...