Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads discussion

Chit Chat - Getting to Know You > Anything like Santa Olivia?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by B (new)

B | 8 comments I just read (and LOVED) Santa Olivia and I'd like to find more books like it.

I haven't read any other books by Jacqueline Carey, but from what I'm seeing they're not quite the same as Santa Olivia (not saying they'd be bad, but if I'm looking for something like it, they might not be the best choice).

The characters and writing were just excellent.

Any suggestions?

message 2: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

♥Tricia♥ (siddie) | 1167 comments Mod
That sounds interesting!

Though I can't think of any books like it.. um I can think of some shifter books that are good if you like those types of stories.

Patricia Briggs has a shifter series thats really good, you should check her out.

message 3: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ If you're looking for "genetically modified" males -though not shifters - Christine Feehan's Ghostwalkers series is terrific. It starts with Shadow Game.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 276 comments I just bought a copy of Santa Olivia, but I haven't got it yet. Maybe I can comment when it comes.

message 5: by B (new)

B | 8 comments Thanks Tricia -- already caught up on all of the released Mercedes Thompson books (and waiting for the latest Alpha & Omega to hit the library).

Thanks Barbara -- I added a request at the library for Shadow Game.

Thanks Sarah. :)

message 6: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Is it just shifter stories you are into? Just wolves?

Would like more info as I could probably suggest more books for you.

message 7: by B (new)

B | 8 comments Not just shifter stories, no! (Santa Olivia isn't a shifter story.)

I just really enjoyed the writing and characters in Santa Olivia.

message 8: by ♥Tricia♥, Group Lead (new)

Oh wow I read the description and for some reason thought shifter! lol

So sorry.

message 9: by B (new)

B | 8 comments I don't want to give too much away -- but I had the same impression. I was surprised, but not disappointed.

message 10: by new_user (last edited Jun 23, 2009 12:35PM) (new)

new_user Carey really is a good writer, and thus, of course, has a very unique style. I don't think there are too many similar writers. You already know Briggs. You might want to try Guy Gavriel Kay. Different setting and different style altogether, but he invests as much time into the plot and characters. I highly recommend him. The Summer Tree is the first of his most famous series (although ironically not the one I read, LOL).

message 11: by B (new)

B | 8 comments Thanks -- I placed a hold on The Summer Tree to check it out.

Paranormal & Urban Fantasy, Monthly Group Reads

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shadow Game (other topics)
Santa Olivia (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jacqueline Carey (other topics)
Patricia Briggs (other topics)