Brandon Sanderson Community discussion

Warbreaker

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe (hockeybeard) | 2 comments Anyone had a chance to read this one in its final form?

I read the very first version on-line and then didn't read any of the others in order to preserve the eventual surprise when the book came out. I must say, Brandon has done it again. A great read for any age.

message 2: by Janice (new)

Janice (seemomrun) | 2 comments Read it,loved it, want more.
Does he have a plan to write more on this?

message 3: by Joe (new)

Joe (hockeybeard) | 2 comments From what I have been able to find, he says its a 'stand-alone' novel, so it doesn't sound like it.

His current projects are Memory of Light (Wheel of Time), and he says he wants to finish "The Way of Kings" (unsure of the exact title) which is an epic fantasy novel which he has kept on the back-burner for several years.

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruth0524) | 1 comments Yeah, he said at the Book Expo that "Warbreaker" was a stand-alone; it was his sixth book. (He wrote like 9 or 10 before he ever got published, so he's got a lot of "back burner" stuff he could bring out...) His current priority is the Wheel of Time sequel, though...it's gotten so big that his publisher has broken it into three parts.

message 5: by Janice (new)

Janice (seemomrun) | 2 comments Dang! I want more on this story. My kids are looking forward to the next Alcatraz book. I have read them to my kids and they can't get enough, so we bought the first one on CD and they listen to it on trips. What a great author.

message 6: by Emily Michelle (new)

Emily Michelle I agree, I wish there were going to be sequels. The story wrapped itself up well, but there were enough things left open that a sequel or two totally would have worked--will they stop the army? How will the reappearance of Vasher affect how the God King rules and is worshipped? What crazy hijinks are Vivenna and Vasher going to get up to?

message 7: by DavidO (new)

DavidO (drgnangl) So, what is this book about anyway?

message 8: by ~Sara~ (last edited Dec 09, 2009 12:03PM) (new)

~Sara~ I just read Warbreaker for my fantasy book club and I loved it!
I agree that he left a lot of openings for sequels so I would be sad if he never came back to it. He writes a lot about Idris, but doesn't really go back to it leaving that part of the story feeling unfinished to me. I would also like to read more about what happens to Vasher and Vivenna and also to Siri and Susebron, but I suppose sometimes things are best left to the imagination. I think it's better to leave some of my questions unanswered then to drag the story on and make me lose interest. That's what happened when I tried to read the Wheel of Time series. I lost interest somewhere in the 4th book since it just seemed to go on and on. Now that there's an end in sight, and I would like to read more by Sanderson, I think I might give this series another try. If the same thing happens again, I could always read plot summaries for the middle books and then read the ones closer to the end where I'm told they get really good again :)
If anyone is interested, Sanderson is supposed to be joining the group discussion on Warbreaker in January for the Fantasy book club. Maybe if we let him know we would like to read more he'll come back to it, or tell us why not at least.

message 9: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 12 comments I just finished The Well of Ascension, bk 2 of The Mistborn trilogy and I must say it is an excellent read. I can't wait to start bk 3!
I have also read Elantris and Warbreaker, and they both were great, very different and well written.

message 10: by Jeff Diamond (new)

Jeff Diamond | 9 comments Sara wrote: "I just read Warbreaker for my fantasy book club and I loved it!
I agree that he left a lot of openings for sequels so I would be sad if he never came back to it. He writes a lot abo..."

It seems that he is planning on just letting Warbreaker stay as a stand-alone novel, like Elantris. Sad . . . I agree, though it would be nice to read more about these characters. He creates such deep, loveable characters that it's kind of hard to let them go when the book is over.

message 11: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 12 comments Elantris was definately left open for a sequel, and I really loved that book. You never know, maybe he will decide later to contine it.
I tend to only read books with sequels because I read alot and I would much rather continue a saga than start over with new charachters. I make exceptions when its an author I love like B. Sanderson.

message 12: by Esmera (new)

Esmera | 2 comments Did anyone else think that book was a little confusing?

=(SPOILER ALLERT)=

I mean, everyones changing sides for one thing...
first Susebron (the god king) is bad, then hes good
Vasher starts out evil but ends up saving everyone (and has like 5 different names and is 300 years old)
Bluefingers almost kills everyone
Denth is some evil person (and has a 300 year old grudge against Vasher) who trys to kill Vivenna
Vivenna herself ends up an awakener
And then we figure out Lightsong is actually a scribe

And on top of all that,
We have Nightblood the amazing thinking sword who kills almost everyone
And Statues made of stone covered skeletons (BTW were they Lifeless, or just Awakened objects? I could never figure that out)

And a crazy book cover that makes no sense

Please help me figure this out.

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike | 23 comments I think that one of Brandon Sandersons staples is that we never have all of the information about any particular character until towards the end. We hear that Suseborn is evil but when we actually get to know him he is not. Denth feigns helping Vivenna to keep her out of the way and further his own cause.

Warbreaker is my least favorite book by Sanderson and I hope it is only an anomaly.

Can't wait for The Way of Kings!

message 14: by Amelia (new)

Amelia | 6 comments Esmera wrote: "Did anyone else think that book was a little confusing?

=(SPOILER ALLERT)=

I mean, everyones changing sides for one thing...
first Susebron (the god king) is bad, then hes good
Vash..."

For starters, Susebron is never bad, just undereducated and misunderstood. Vasher isn't evil, he's just portrayed as evil. Vivenna, as one of the main characters, is not stagnant so yes, there are significant changes in her personality as she learns to be less critical.
Nightblood was given only one command and that was to destroy evil. However, "destroy evil" is a bit vague and he, coming from an inanimate object, does not have the depth to interpret this appropriately.
The statues are lifeless because they have skeletons inside of them. They're just like super-lifeless.
The book isn't confusing, it has a lot of depth and symbolism to it so you need to keep an open mind when reading it.
I for one, loved the book. It was the reason I started reading Brandon Sanderson in the first place.

message 15: by Flint (last edited Jul 02, 2010 03:40PM) (new)

Flint | 1 comments It seems to me that Sanderson ran out of ideas on this one. Warbreaker came off like some weird amalgamation of Elantris and Mistborn that really didn't work for me. Why not just write an Elantris or Mistborn sequel instead? I can understand if Sanderson wanted to write something really different from his past novels, but this certainly was not it.

message 16: by Jeff Diamond (new)

Jeff Diamond | 9 comments Here's what I think about Warbreaker.

***Spoiler***

A wise man once said: "You'll find that many of the truths we believe in depend greatly on our own point of view." Whether a certain character is good or bad depends on which character you are thinking about. In the beginning, Vivenna thinks that all of the citizens of the God King's empire are terrible and decadent because of their flashiness, right? But the people down in the valley think that those people in the mountains are all stuck up, and just waiting for an excuse to cut off the mountain supply passes so that they can take back the city. That's for starters. Vivenna meets with Denth, and is told that Vasher is a bad dude, and she believes it. So for us reading it, we tend to believe it as well.

Also, I think that he actually wrote this one before the others. Probably when he was a little younger and very hormonal. Think about Blushweaver. His writing has matured somewhat.

message 17: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 72 comments Hahahaha. Hormonal. Sorry, but that was so funny. I love Brandon Ssnderson and I would never think to describe him as hormonal but hahahahaha that is a funny picture :D. totally made my day.