The Big Comfy Book Club discussion

Batman: Year One - December's book

Comments (showing 1-24 of 24) (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael McEntee | 59 comments Mod
On Dec 29th at 4pm discuss Batman: Year One here.

Due to so many people joining the club on Facebook, as soon as over 50 people joined I could no longer send a direct message to everyone to remind them to vote, read and discuss. This is the main reason, I think, that the past 2 months have been very sparse. On here I think it's more orientated to clubs so we shouldn't get any of those kind of problems. Anyway, happy reading. Batman Year One by Frank Miller

message 2: by Richard (new)

Richard Harrison | 8 comments And it has an App! Whoop

message 3: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments I do love an app! very much looking forward to book discussions on here.
I ordered my Year 1 copy off eBay yesterday. I can't wait to read it. I do love a good graphic novel.

message 4: by Michael (new)

mine came today, but Im not.opening the package until I've read my current book (The Hobbit) as I'll get tempted to read it at the same time!

message 5: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments I rarely read one book at a time, unless I've got stuck with one and then I try to focus solely on that one until I finish it.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Nor do I actually, I just reeeaaally want to finish the Hobbit fast so I can be fully immersed in batman!

message 7: by Richard (new)

Richard Harrison | 8 comments I've Kindled it, probably sacrilege for a graphic novel but it was ok, the pages were big enough to read.

message 8: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments Mind has just arrived in the post. I'm starting it in about 5 minutes.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Just started mine

message 10: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments I started mine the other night, but then I got tired. I'm hoping to get through the last 30 pages tomorrow.

message 11: by Michael (new)

finished mine. very quick read, took about 2-3 hours probably, spread over a week or so. will keep the review and chat til the scheduled date but will say i enjoyed it, but not as much as id hoped.

message 12: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments Same here. I enjoyed it but there were definitely flaws for me. I shall elaborate at a later date.

message 13: by Michael (new)

Right! Batman. I was really looking forward to this. I was...underwhelmed. I knew some of the story was used for Batman Begins but because of this it really took me out of the graphic novel. My preconceptions of Gordon was.based on the films so to find out he was a cheating bastard took me by surprise. I liked the writing and being a graphic novel novice it looked nice. I much preferred Necronomicon and Maus though. It was also dated a little too much for me. overall a nice read, but not as great as I hoped. 6/10

message 14: by Richard (new)

Richard Harrison | 8 comments Sorry I'm late...DIY! Didn't enjoy this, but then I've never got graphic novels, I read this in 20 minutes so I guess I don't appreciate the art. Meh...not a big Batman fan either but hey, I've learnt how it all began. DARK!

message 15: by Marcus (new)

Marcus James | 1 comments I liked the fact they made Gordon more human. Face it the 'Hero' has some serious problems why shouldn't everybody. Granted the story didn't blow me away like "V for vendetta", "Watchmen" or "Sin City" but then they couldn't change much in what was a genre setter, if I remember right. In the same way the Hobbit created the Elf/Dwarf/Orc stereotype I believe. So with those limitations I think they brought the material into a less dated form.

I'm giving it 7.5/10

And remember Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman. (can't remember who said that)

message 16: by Richard (last edited Dec 29, 2013 08:51AM) (new)

Richard Harrison | 8 comments I don't suppose it being on my Kindle helped...but I think I prefer words. I did enjoy Ian Rankin's dip into GN with his Constantine story but probably because that man could poop into a cup and I'd love it.

message 17: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments I tried to stretch this out by reading one of the "chapters" each night. Generally whilst I found it to be an interesting 'origin' story, I didn't really get much out of it. I was bored by the Bruce Wayne parts and more interested by the Gordon plot line which seems a little strange for a Batman graphic novel. I also thought the depiction of Catwoman as a prostitute entirely unnecessary. There were so few female characters that it was a bit depressing to see the most influential or well known character in such a grim role. I suppose that's probably just because I'm a girl though. Finally I wasn't super keen on the art work. I found some panels to be too busy and not well defined enough, but then I read a lot of graphic novels and I much prefer more basic black and white stuff in general.

message 18: by Michael (new)

I never thought about it being a story already written, then embellished for a new generation. i suppose it holds the author to a certain mould.

message 19: by Michael (new)

Yeah Jayde, i also didn't like catwoman starting like that, and too enjoyed Gordon more than Bruce. maybe as Bruce was covered well in the film

message 20: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments I much preferred the Dark Knight Returns where Batman has retired but ends up coming back and fighting Superman.

message 21: by Richard (new)

Richard Harrison | 8 comments I probably should watch some of these new Batman films...Only watched the Buster Keaton one ;O(

message 22: by Michael (new)

I love Batman Begins, Dark Knight is very good but wee bit too long. Dark Knight Rises is ok

message 23: by Jayde (new)

Jayde | 29 comments Batman begins is excellent. I fell asleep watching the Dark Knight as Michael says its just too long and too much is packed in, like the third spiderman in the Sam Raimi/Tobey Maguire trilogy and The Dark Knight rises is riddled with plot holes but Anne Hathaway is excellent.

message 24: by Michael (new)

I've finally gotten round to my review. Read it please. Or you're out. http://thebigcomfybookshop.blogspot.c...