Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

March/April 2009 > Metropole - Karinthy

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) Has anyone out there read this? I'm not very far into it, and I'm enjoying it, but it leaves me with a very uneasy feeling. Like I want to itch and scratch or something. I am certain that it is purposeful in the writing, but it's still a bit uncomfortable. It feels very Kafka or Camus-esque.

But, what I'm wondering is, did/does anyone else have a hard time suspending so much reality? I just keep thinking that there is no way that this situation could ever happen. Not in this modern age.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I haven't read this, but would be very interested to know your thoughts on it after you're finished. i've considered putting it on my TBR list for the sole reason it was first published in Hungarian and I was host mother to a Hungarian exchange student this past school year.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) I'm trudging through it, and will save recommendations (or not) until I'm done, but I have to say, when they say a book is very Kafka-esque, I'm not sure that's a good thing. At least for me.