Fantasy Junkies discussion

Author Discussion! > Brent Weeks

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (davidjburrows) | 7 comments Anyone else reading the shadow books. Just read the first two and they are very good. Some very novel ideas and good plots.

message 2: by Matt (last edited Jun 19, 2009 10:10AM) (new)

Matt | 4 comments Almost done with Beyond the Shadows. I am loving this series and recommend it to everyone. Well, not everyone. Very dark and gritty. Not for the faint of heart!

message 3: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Read them, they were very good. Extremely original I thought.

message 4: by David (new)

David (davidjburrows) | 7 comments I've read books one and two. Book two was a little slow,but still enjoyable. What's the third one like? I've bought it already so will read it soon. My son is also reading them. There's a lot of characters though and that can sometimes get confusing.

message 5: by Kataury (new)

Kataury Book three is... maybe the best? I can't choose between the second and the third. I think the thirds the best though.

message 6: by Jared (last edited Jul 24, 2009 06:10PM) (new)

Jared | 18 comments Definitely one of the best fantasy series I have read. All three books are top notch, and that includes the third. No offense to you Kat, but i think the first book was the best, and I think David will probably feel the same, since he finds the second book a bit slow compared to the first. The third book is more or less the same pace as the second, but that pace is walking through higher stakes and more powerful characters. Be prepared to want more when it is over, because there is quite a bit of story potential Weeks has not harvested yet. He is working on a second trilogy to continue the story, and it has the potential to be even more epic and exciting then the first.

message 7: by David (new)

David (davidjburrows) | 7 comments Yes, I liked the first book the best. Mind you book 3 was a cracking read as well. What next though? Anyone recommend something?

message 8: by Jared (new)

Jared | 18 comments As far as books that are similar to Night Angel, I am coming up short. One series I can not recommend enough is A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin. It is VERY different from Night Angel, but in my opinion it is the best thing being written right now. I see you like Harry Potter, so you might try some other YA fantasy books. The Inheritance Cycle is a good one. It's very enjoyable.

message 9: by Matt (new)

Matt | 4 comments If you like Brent Weeks and you like Harry Potter, try The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Other notables: The Blade Itself, The Darkness That Comes Before, Gardens of the Moon

message 10: by Kataury (new)

Kataury All great books. And I honestly don't remember the first one much.... The time spaced between me reading the first and second was a large gap. I think I just need to reread it again.

message 11: by Sierra (new)

Sierra | 4 comments I liked this book and am planning on reading the rest, but wasn't completely enthralled... mostly I wished that I was more attached to the world. Reminds me a lot of Song of Ice and Fire because of the same dark feel. Now I'd recommend the Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher, and of course Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time and Terry Goodkind's the Sword of Truth.

message 12: by Kataury (new)

Kataury I'd recommend anything by Jim Butcher, He's up there pretty high on my list.

message 13: by Spike (new)

Spike Anderson (spikeanderson) | 2 comments pretty good- decent character development & action. I don't like that sometimes the author withholds information from the reader and then springs it on us for surprise twists in the plot...this in itself is fine but when Weeks does this, it seems inconsistent and truthfully, a bit forced. The chapters are written like scenes from a movie, intended to keep the reader on the seat's edge, but again, a bit forced. The darkness of the plot and world is fairly well done, but the rules of the powers and magic, and even keeping some of the characters straight is confusing. I've read reviews of the second and third book in this series and people seem to like them...so i'll likely read them, but i'm not in love with this series (yet)