Fable Lounge discussion

July book club

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (last edited Jun 19, 2009 12:07AM) (new)

Sheila | 12 comments The book I wanted to do for book club is not available right now (individual copies are in the 50's on the hold list at both libraries.) A club set becomes available for the first time July 1, but chances are slim that I'd be able to get it (unless I'm the first to call in to ask for it.)

Carina, Kristin said that she is scheduled to do book club in September. SOOO...if you already had a book in mind and still want to host in July, let's leave it as scheduled. I'll plan on doing it in October (if nobody is scheduled for that month.) I'll try to reserve "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" for October. Whoever has the schedule, let me know if I need to do a month other than October. Thanks!

Margot Jennifer (fablelounge) | 26 comments Mod
So have we decided what we are reading this month? Anyone? Anyone?

message 3: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments Carina said she was choosing something but I haven't heard what.

message 4: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 16 comments For September I have reserved the book club set of "Ender's Game." I've heard mixed feelings about it - so it should make for interesting discussion.

message 5: by Carina (new)

Carina | 7 comments I looooooooooooooved Ender's Game when I first read it (years ago.) I can't wait to read it again.

As far as July--what do you guys want to read?

Here are the choices:
Year of Wonders (a book about the plague hitting a village in England. I read it a few years ago and I think I liked it.)

The Blind Assassin by Atwood
"A tale of two sisters, one of whom dies under ambiguous circumstances in the opening pages. The survivor, Iris Chase Griffen, initially seems a little cold-blooded about this death in the family. But as the story unfolds we're reminded of just how complicated the familial game of hide-and-seek can be."

Black Tulip - by Dumas
"Weaves historical events surrounding a brutal murder into a tale of romantic love. Set in Holland in 1672, this timeless political allegory draws on the violence and crimes of history, making a case against tyranny and creating a symbol of justice and tolerance: the fateful tulipa negra."

message 6: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 16 comments Your pick, Carina. What do you want to read?

I vote for Year of Wonders, or Black Tulip, but only because I have already read Blind Assassin. I am fine with whatever, though!

message 8: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments I vote for Blind Assassin since it's the only one in at the library. :)

message 9: by Carina (new)

Carina | 7 comments OK!

I choose Wide Sargasso Sea--which is a sort of prequel to Jane Eyre. It's at the Orem Public Library, and I think I've been able to get the whole set. I'll let you guys know when they get back to me.

message 10: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments You're so funny.

message 11: by Carina (new)

Carina | 7 comments Alright, Whitney, I left the book on your doorstep. Bek & Melody? No one looked home at your places. Susan? I can't remember which number is yours. Anyone else? I still have copies and can drop them off at your houses if you need them.

message 12: by Carina (new)

Carina | 7 comments What works best for everyone? The 21st? The 23rd? The 28th?

message 13: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 16 comments Thanks for bringing the book by, Carina! I am excited to read this story and find out why this lady went crazy (I'm sure it was the husband, though). :)

My calendar says I can do any of those dates.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (erindhatch) | 6 comments I would love a copy if you've got one, and I can come on the 21st or 28th.

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erindhatch) | 6 comments Oh, and I scheduled to get "Three Cups of Tea" for November if anyone wants to do that and if the month is available. The library had a lot of requests coming in this morning and they were pretty sure I could get it but will confirm in a few days.

message 16: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments Any of the dates are fine with me--but I think Tuesdays work better for Sheila.

message 17: by Sheila (last edited Jul 01, 2009 02:24PM) (new)

Sheila | 12 comments The 28th works best for me. My father-in-law's 80th b-day in on the 21st, and Thursdays are my date night with Spence.

Also, I'm on the list for getting The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for October. The librarian said they would confirm with me later today or tomorrow. I never heard if anyone else had October, so I scheduled it for then. Let me know if I need to change it to another month.

message 18: by Margot Jennifer (new)

Does anyone need a copy of Wide Sargasso Sea? I am through with mine.

message 19: by Melody (last edited Jul 02, 2009 07:32AM) (new)

Melody | 3 comments

I need a copy, if you still have it.

message 20: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments So what did you think, Jennifer? Didn't do much for me other than the end when she's running around lighting everything on fire. I liked that part.

message 21: by Sheila (last edited Jul 05, 2009 10:10PM) (new)

Sheila | 12 comments I got an e-mail from the library saying I could have The Guernsey Literary....book set November 30 (that was the closest available date to my September request.) I said yes. Is someone already doing December? Are we meeting in December? We could read it for the January bookclub and I would just need to return the books before we actually meet. Let me know.

message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments I say let's just read it in December. It might be a good idea to skip December since it's so crazy but I would still love to read it again.

message 23: by Margot Jennifer (new)

Dara wrote: "So what did you think, Jennifer? Didn't do much for me other than the end when she's running around lighting everything on fire. I liked that part."

It makes a big difference knowing that its a prequel. I am rethinking everything now. Only I still don't love any of the characters. And now that I think of it, she basically decided to go mad, on purpose, so I have even less sympathy. Remember her saying something like, "tell me to die and I will die"? So she does. She shuts off her senses to die and the result is a nice big bonfire. And now Jane Eyre is practically ruined.

message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments Oh rubbish. Jane Eyre is still great. Maybe I need to read Jane Eyre again with a greater appreciation for the mad woman. I still liked the big bonfire.

message 25: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 16 comments What a sad story (I knew it was going to be the husband!). Poor girl - she should have gone to England. Love did her in. What an awful fate, it just gives me the creeps. How do you prove you are sane when someone says otherwise? She should have held it together, though, and she could have gotten out when Richard came. It just takes time and patience (like "Count of Monte Cristo"). I have to read Jane Eyre again now. Mr. Rochester sure didn't come through this book with any redeeming qualities. Interesting that the author worked it this way given the story of Jane Eyre.

I'll be happy to drive to book club on the 28th if anyone wants to carpool.

message 26: by Dara (new)

Dara | 52 comments Just spoke to Carina--we're set for the 28th at 7:30 at her new home: 408 West 3900 North. (Turn left at Will's Pit Stop, right at the roundy roundy, then left on 3900 North.)