The Lost Challenges discussion

Archives - Monthly Challenges > December Scatergories-

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) description

Scattergories is one of my favorite games to play, and reading one of my favorite pastimes, so I’ve combined the two.

The general rules of Scattergories are you are given a list of categories and a time limit. Then the letter dice is rolled and you have to come up with something that matches your letter and the category.

This “Challenge” works in conjunction with the other challenges you may participate in this month. You may use a book to fulfill multiple items (you don't have to read 12 books this month...don't worry!) While you are fulfilling the requirements of your other challenges, be on the lookout for the following items (they may be on the cover or mentioned in the book):

The Challenge: I will post a list of 12 categories, 6 general relating to any book, and 6 specific to that month. On the last day of the month before, I will post the letter of the month. You can start reading on the 1st. The goal is to get as many points as possible by the end of the month.

Duration: December 1 to December 31
Rules:
1.Any genre of books will work
2.Ebooks and audio count
3.You can read in any order
4.Rereads are ok but if you really reread the book

Points: You get one point for each category you can tie to a book, where the first letter begins with the letter of the month. You get double points for each time the letter of the month is used to begin a word (ex. for author if the letter was C, Cassandra Claire would be 2 points). We will not be deducting points for duplicate answers like the original game version does.

…..Note….. if you have already earned 1 point for an item and come across another item worth more points you can replace it. Please only list the one book that you are currently using for points.

Special categories are open for interpretation. As long as it is mentioned in the book and you can justify how it fits, it will work.

When you find one of the items list the Book Title and Author (or link the cover), date it, and specify where the item is found within the book. (i.e. page number, e-reader location, audio chapter)

Just like the regular game we will not use the letters Q, U, V, X, Y and Z. And no K either

Let me know if you have any questions.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) December

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character
5.Place
6.Cover

Many December holidays are themed around GIFT giving and HOT candle light. In the Northern Hemisphere December has the shortest amount of daylight, making it the DARKest month. At the end of the month most people celebrate New Years Eve with a DRINK/toast. December's birthstone is the BLUE turquoise or zircon. The rest of the world may not be celebrating it but I will also be celebrating my WEDDING Anniversary this month.

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

message 3: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (last edited Nov 30, 2013 09:25AM) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Letter of the month is O.

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) ....

message 5: by Penni (last edited Dec 31, 2013 06:47PM) (new)

Penni | 1284 comments Mod
I'm in.

December

15 points - didn't finish all categories.

General
1.Book Title - Off Sides 1 pt
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character - "O" from Lover Awakened - 1 pt
5.Place - Cincinnati, Ohio - Dead Witch Walking - 1 pt
6.Cover - number one on the clock face of the tower - Firelight - 1 pt

Many December holidays are themed around GIFT giving and HOT candle light. In the Northern Hemisphere December has the shortest amount of daylight, making it the DARKest month. At the end of the month most people celebrate New Years Eve with a DRINK/toast. December's birthstone is the BLUE turquoise or zircon. The rest of the world may not be celebrating it but I will also be celebrating my WEDDING Anniversary this month.

December Specials
7.Gift: "He changed me into a rat when he found out ," Nick continued, "then gave me to one of his business associates as a gift." Dead Witch Walking, Kim Harrison, page 212 - 2 pt
8.Hot: "Word's out on you, Hot Stuff," Jenks said from the ceiling. Dead Witch Walking, Kim Harrison, page 42. - 2 pt
9.Dark: "Pulling out his cell phone, he punched a few buttons and strutted past the VIP's dark offices to the vault. Dead Witch Walking, Kim Harrison, page 78. - 1 pt
10.Drink: All smiles, she set three drinks before me: a Bloody Mary, an old-fashioned and a Shirley Temple. Dead Witch Walking, page 6. - 1 pt
11.Blue: There was mud on his shoes and a hint of it on the knees of his blue jeans. Dead Witch Walking, page 48. - 4 pt
12.Wedding: By the time the moon rose, I was wound tighter than a virgin troll on his wedding night. Dead Witch Walking, p. 316. - 1 pt

Firelight (Darkest London, #1) by Kristen Callihan Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1) by Kim Harrison Lover Awakened (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #3) by J.R. Ward Off Sides (Off, #1) by Sawyer Bennett

message 6: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) I have to post Nov, but I want to do Dec, will post by Monday, I have company

message 7: by Sierra (last edited Nov 30, 2013 07:04PM) (new)

Sierra (slowpokereads) Oh joy. The letter O.

Well I'll try it!

message 8: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Well, this month should be a total bust! But I'll try.

Duration: 12/1/13 - 12/31/13

Letter: O Points:

General
1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character
5.Place
6.Cover

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Sierra wrote: "Oh joy. The letter O.

Well I'll try it!"

I almost changed it after that came up in the draw. But I decided well, maybe. We will give it a try, I don't know that we've ever had O chosen. If the month goes badly we can opt to retire O into the realm of K.

message 10: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) O is hard for everything

message 11: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 2049 comments I agree, O is really hard.

Hey Dawn, how about this as a suggestion. Make it the hard letter month and try to use any of them: K, O, Q, U, V, X, Y and Z?

Think of it as our Christmas present - hey doesn't hurt to ask.

message 12: by Missyb (last edited Dec 21, 2013 08:32PM) (new)

Missyb | 127 comments 1.Book Title
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character
5.Place: Ohio (Darkfire Kiss)
6.Cover: old man (he's over 1200 yrs old) (Darkfire Kiss)
7.Gift: Alex gave Sara a book she'd found at a bookstore in Wales, it was an old book about tarot cards and their meanings. (p. 311, Darkfire Kiss, 1 pt)
8.Hot: In the large bathroom off his bedroom, he turned the water on to hot, then stopped in front of the mirror to undress. (1pt, Hope Renewed, p. 32)
9.Dark:Thanks to her new vampiric vision, she was able to navigate through the darkness easily, and once she rounded her building, she found her neighbor's sister on top of a car, surrounded by four goblins. (Hope Renewed, 1 pt, p. 45)
10.Drink: Normally Hope would have pouted her lips, shot off a cute comeback, and before the night would be over, gotten several drinks out of him before deciding if it should turn into something more or not. (Hope Renewed, p. 98, 1 pt)
11.Blue: The western sky was painted with the lighter shades of blue, a swath of green, and a brilliant orange smudge that surrounded the glowing orb of the setting sun. (p. 318, Darkfire Kiss, 3 pts)
12.Wedding
Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire, #6) by Deborah Cooke Hope Renewed (The Watchers, #3) by Madelyn Ford

message 13: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Can't do any worse then last month, I had 2 points, and didn't complete it.

message 14: by Suzanne (last edited Dec 30, 2013 02:28PM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 1513 comments The Lost Challenges
December Scattergories
Duration:
12/1/2013 - 12/31/2013

Progress: 9 out of 12

Letter: O

December

General
1.Book Title:
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez - ***** - 12/30/2013
2.Author
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character:
5.Place: Otherworld:
Bone Magic by Yasmine Galenorn - *** - 12/2/2013
6.Cover: Open Door:
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks - ***** - 12/5/2013

December Specials:

7.Gift:
"I have many gifts and one is to read the past." Page 95

8.Hot: "I let out a long sigh as the hot water streamed over my body." Page 246

9.Dark: "Venture to the sweetness of oblivion, sink into the darkness, join the brilliance of the stars." Page 57

10.Drink: "They never swear, they only drink on special occasions, and I'm pretty sure they've never puked in anyone's lap after a night of bar hoping." Page 62
Futures and Frosting by Tara Sivec - ***** - 12/4/2013

11.Blue: "Instead, his skin gleaming jet in the shimmer of the overcast skies, his hair as silver as the dagger attached to my thigh, with hints of cerulean flowing through the strands, his eyes as blue as the ocean herself. Page 124

12.Wedding: "We eased into the parking lot near Clise Mansion: a community hall that had once been a country estate and now was available for meetings, weddings, and other special occasions." Page 256

Bone Magic (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #7) by Yasmine Galenorn Futures and Frosting (Chocolate Lovers, #2) by Tara Sivec How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1) by Kerrelyn Sparks One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

message 15: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Duration: 12/1/13 - 12/31/13

Letter: O Points: 2

General
1.Book TitleOrdinary Grace
2.Author (Audie O'Connor)Silevethiel
3.Main Character
4.Secondary Character (Detective Oxley)Dream Eyessee below 1 POINT
5.Place (Oregon)Dream Eyes12/3/13 **** stars 1 POINT
6.Cover

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot ...eyes hot and clearly pissed off ..." p.165 Animal Attraction
9.Dark
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz

message 16: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) I personally loved K!! You can do K again any time. I guess it's time to haul out all my Highlander novels for O names!

message 17: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ | 2504 comments O is going to be super hard but we'll give it a shot.

Letter = O

0 POINTS

General
1.Book Title-
2.Author-
3.Main Character-
4.Secondary Character-
5.Place-
6.Cover-

November Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot
9.Dark
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

message 18: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Pat wrote: "I agree, O is really hard.

Hey Dawn, how about this as a suggestion. Make it the hard letter month and try to use any of them: K, O, Q, U, V, X, Y and Z?

Think of it as our Christmas present - ..."

Oh I think that would be rather easy with my reading list for this month. I've got a few Y's & Z'z

Maybe I'll do that next time a hard letter comes up in the draw.

Kitten ~♥️ MM series ~ (wineandbookme) Is Night Owl okay for book title? This letter is kicking my behind and it's day 5.
Also is outer ear acceptable for book cover?

message 20: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Duration: 12/1/13 - 12/31/13

Letter: O Points: 6

General
1.Book TitleOrdinary Grace
2.Author (Audie O'Connor)Silevethiel12/13/13 *** stars1 POINT
3.Main Character (Olivia)Lady X's Cowboy12/4/13 *** stars1 POINT
6.Cover

December Specials
7.Gift
8.Hot ...eyes hot and clearly pissed off ..." p.165 Animal Attraction12/4/13 ****stars1 POINT
9.Dark"As black and dark as the outermost fringes ..." p. 77Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet12/12/13 **** stars1 POINT
10.Drink
11.Blue
12.Wedding

Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2) by Jill Shalvis Lady X's Cowboy by Zoe Archer Silevethiel (The Vaelinel Trilogy, #1) by Andi O'Connor Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones

message 21: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments I think I'm going to give up and go with my 8 points for this month. Hopefully I do better next month.

message 22: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) I forgot about it will put somethign together by the 3rd

message 23: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Kitten wrote: "Is Night Owl okay for book title? This letter is kicking my behind and it's day 5.
Also is outer ear acceptable for book cover?"

Sorry Night owl won't work, but I'll take Outer Ear.

message 24: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Finished with 13 - not bad for a difficult letter!!

Letter: O Points: 13

General
1.Book TitleOrdinary Grace12/30/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
2.Author (Audie O'Connor)Silevethiel12/13/13 *** stars1 POINT
3.Main Character (Olivia)Lady X's Cowboy12/4/13 *** stars1 POINT
6.Cover(Opague tights)Fourth Grave Beneath My FeetSee Below1 POINT

December Specials
7.Gift" ... helping them open their gifts." loc. 1384A Mackenzie Family Christmas: The Perfect Gift12/14/13 **** stars1 POINT
8.Hot ...eyes hot and clearly pissed off ..." p.165 Animal Attraction12/4/13 ****stars1 POINT
9.Dark"As black and dark as the outermost fringes ..." p. 77Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet12/12/13 **** stars1 POINT
10.Drink"Perhaps next time we should try drinking it out of glasses." p. 178The Blood of Roses12/31/13 **** stars1 POINT
11.Blue"... the pillowy blue of her eyes rested sometimes on me and sometimes on Jake ..." p.41Ordinary GraceSee Above2 POINTS
12.Wedding" ...made it easy for non-clergy to officiate at a wedding. " p.382Ritual Magic12/18/13 ****1/2 stars1 POINT

Dream Eyes (Dark Legacy, #2) by Jayne Ann Krentz Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism, #2) by Jill Shalvis Lady X's Cowboy by Zoe Archer Silevethiel (The Vaelinel Trilogy, #1) by Andi O'Connor Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones A Mackenzie Family Christmas The Perfect Gift (Highland Pleasures, #4.5) by Jennifer Ashley Ritual Magic (World of the Lupi, #10) by Eileen Wilks Ordinary Grace by William Kent Krueger The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2) by Marsha Canham

message 25: by Penni (new)

~Leslie~ wrote: "Finished with 13 - not bad for a difficult letter!!

Letter: O Points: 13

General
1.Book TitleOrdinary Grace12/30/13 ***** stars 1 POINT
2.Author (Au..."

You rocked it! I'm about to give up with a couple of the categories empty. Yes, a difficult letter but that's what makes it a CHALLENGE, right? At least I keep telling myself that.

message 26: by Penni (new)

OK - Updated Message #5 - Still not sure I know how to score properly, but think I got 15 points. Two categories I couldn't complete however.

Thanks for the challenge! Enjoyed it.

message 27: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 127 comments Is there a January letter & categories?

message 28: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Missyb wrote: "Is there a January letter & categories?"

Coming soon. The flu has hit my house... blah. hope to have it up in the next few hours.

message 29: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) Penni wrote: "OK - Updated Message #5 - Still not sure I know how to score properly, but think I got 15 points. Two categories I couldn't complete however.

Thanks for the challenge! Enjoyed it."

Great job Penni. I am not sure I would have counted 9,11 or 12. But you tallied right.

message 30: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (lindylee) I didn't do well

1.Book Title Rice, Anne Of Love and Evil
2.Author
3.Main Character Rice, Ann Of love and Eveil Toby O'Dare:
4.Sec Character Woods, Sherryl Flirting with Disaster O'Lear, amanda, Bobby,
6.Cover outer Ear forgot to write the book down

7.Gift 2 pg 5 Rice, Anne Of Love and Evil Some Time or other, when we are browsing int he gift shop, I will have a look for it.
8.Hot 1 33 Amish White Christmas Pie He was from those I had visited on my last adventure, who for all theri passion had not had had this hot dark Meditererean blood.
9.Dark 1 pg 6 Rice, Anne Of Love and Evil I saw his soft dark hair and his dark oval face
10.Drink 1 pg 194 Brunseter, Wanda E. Amish White Christmas Pie |She took a drink of Coffee as she mulled things over.
11.Blue 1 pg 25 Brunseter, Wanda E. Amish White Christmas Pie Same as yours, only my eyes are blue and yorus are brown.
12.Wedding 1 pg 1o Brunseter, Wanda E. Amish White Christmas Pie Papa Mark and Mama ginawere his paretns and they would be the ones who would witness his and Karen's wedding ceremny.

message 31: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jan 02, 2014 03:19PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 2504 comments I had a tough time with this one.

7 POINTS

General
1.Book Title-
2.Author-
3.Main Character-
4.Secondary Character- Prince Otavas - Fifth Quarter - Tanya Huff 12/11 (1 POINT)
5.Place- Omaha Nebraska - Finding the Lost - Shannon Butcher 12/29 (1 POINT)
6.Cover-

November Specials
7.Gift- Your life is an opportunity. A gift. p219 With All My Soul - Rachel Vincent 12/4 (1 POINT)
8.Hot- It's so hot, I'm considering opening another carton. p117 With All My Soul - Rachel Vincent 12/4 (1 POINT)
9.Dark- Creatures who only exist in the dark p364 With All My Soul - Rachel Vincent 12/4 (1 POINT)
10.Drink- and when the drink gave them courage, these whispers would grow stronger, turn to muttered oaths punctuated by fists pounding on tabletops p89 Death Bringer - Derek Landy 12/12 (1 POINT)
11.Blue- that deep bright blue that grew and twisted throughout the other colors p312 With All My Soul - Rachel Vincent 12/4 (1 POINT)
12.Wedding-

Fifth Quarter (Quarters, #2) by Tanya Huff Finding the Lost (Sentinel Wars, #2) by Shannon K. Butcher With All My Soul (Soul Screamers, #7) by Rachel Vincent Death Bringer (Skulduggery Pleasant, #6) by Derek Landy

message 32: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) Sorry about the flu, Dawn. It has hit bad in some of our family.