Audiobooks discussion

Archives > 6 hour road trip, 11 yr old girl, suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (last edited Nov 30, 2013 07:53AM) (new)

Peter Tubbs | 1 comments Howdy- I make a 6 hour road trip once a month with my 11 year old daughter, and I need audiobook recommendations that we would both enjoy. She has read the usual things for her age- HP, Hunger Games, etc.

Our last trip I broke out "Animal Farm" and a Sherlock Holmes series. She enjoyed both.

Unfortunately the gap between trips is too big to try longer books- "Great Expectations" would require 3 trips by itself.

(side note- this is my only complaint about the service my local library uses for audiobook downloads. You can search by almost every variable except length!)

TIA.

Peter

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1541 comments Moon Over Manifest was a cute listen - it was about 12 hours total - it won a newberry award i think for juvenile fiction

message 3: by David (new)

David Rubenstein | 35 comments A couple of books about some brave girls:

Coraline by Neil Gaiman is rather short for your needs--it is about 3.5 hours long. But, if your daughter enjoyed Harry Potter, she might like it, also.

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak may be a little heavy for an 11-year-old. It is 14 hours long.

message 4: by Kristie (last edited Nov 30, 2013 12:31PM) (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments Has she read or listened to Carl Hiaasen's kid books - Hoot, Scat, Flush, and Chomp? My almost 10 yr old son loves them. They are all 5.5 to 9 hours long. I've only listened on and off, but they don't seem geared only to boys at all. (The covers look little kiddish, but the stories are not little kiddish.)

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan | 431 comments I'm listening to the young adult book Book of a Thousand Days at the moment and I'm really enjoying it.

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travistousant) | 543 comments The Golden Compass I really enjoyed the full cast narration also The Sword in the Stone narrated by Neville Jason was very good and not the story we know from Disney

message 7: by Kim (last edited Nov 30, 2013 11:05AM) (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) The Wee Free Men is a terrific audiobook, funny and engaging, with appeal for both kids and adults - about 7 hours long.

The Ruby in the Smoke is also another fun listen - about 6 hours long.

message 8: by Jan (new)

Jan | 431 comments I would second Ruby in the Smoke!

message 9: by Jess (new)

Jess (jessmonster) You might try Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain, starting with The Book of Three, which is about 5 hours long. Fun fantasy adventure. A lot of the things I would normally recommend are a bit longer - 8-10 hours. Also fun on audio are Dead End in Norvelt (7 hours), A Long Way from Chicago and sequels (4 hours), Skulduggery Pleasant (7 hours), and The Wednesday Wars (7.5 hours).

message 10: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3606 comments Sorry my computer doesn't let me create links, but if your daughter liked Sherlock Holmes, there's a YA series about a much younger sister all less than six hours and narrated wonderfully by Katheryn Kellgren.
Nancy Springer: Enola Holmes Mysteries: The Case of the Missing Marquess (Book 1)
The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Book 2)
The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Book 3)
The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Book 4)
The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Book 5)
The Case of the Gypsy Goodbye (Book 6)

message 11: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3606 comments Oh yeah, I just remembered... Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence is good for all ages and each book is within the time limit. Cooper also has an interesting time travel story that goes back to Shakespeare--literally, the boy gets to act with Shakespeare in A Midsummer Night's Dream--called The King of Shadows--I have a version read by Jim Dale.
There'salso The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman--about seven and a half hours--and theres Terry Sacher's book, Holes.

message 12: by ✨Susan✨ (last edited Nov 30, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

✨Susan✨ (suswelch) | 223 comments The Hobbit. 11 hrs.

message 13: by Patricia (last edited Nov 30, 2013 10:48PM) (new)

Patricia (pjaye) | 447 comments You can search for length on Audible, just select either the children or teen category and then down the left side there's an option to search by length 3-6 hrs.
The Audible result showed 1500 titles.
http://www.audible.com/search/ref=a_s...

Then you can check which ones your library has.

Good reads also has a list for the "Best Kick-Ass Female Characters From YA and Children's Fantasy and Science Fiction"
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
Which is good for cross referencing.
May as well get her on the right track... ;)

message 14: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (themagicmonster) | 50 comments Artemis Fowl series by Colfer

message 15: by Xe (new)

Xe Sands (xesands) | 358 comments Definitely a +1 for Wee Free Men - LOVED it. However, I will caution that the accents are not easily understood by all. I loved them, but both my husband and daughter had a bit of difficulty understanding some of the dialog.

I'd also recommend Granny Nothing, and the Hank the Cowdog series. Yes, written for younger readers...but they are both so hilarious and well performed that I think an 11 year-old would still enjoy them.

message 16: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3606 comments I second Artemis Fowl on the basis that my neice when 11 loved it and her aunt did too (not mentioning my age, thank you very much ;P)
We also both loved Eoin Colfer's "The Wish List"--fantabulous character voices--and his "Half Moon Investigations"--both huge hits with the young girl and *cough* less young woman.

message 17: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 1082 comments May I suggest the Tamora Pierce books? These are wonderful YA stories, and many of the books are under 8 hours as audiobooks. I particularly like the Protector of the Small and Daughter of the Lioness series (4 books each, I think)