Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) Catching Fire discussion

What did you think of the Catching Fire film?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

thethousanderclub Watching an excellent adaptation of a book play out before my eyes is one of my favorite things. Catching Fire, the second book in The Hunger Games trilogy, was a fine and entertaining book, but its film adaptation has successfully surpassed it in almost every way. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire is a great film and is a perfect example of how a film adaptation of a book can be accomplished.

See the full blog post here: http://thethousanderclub.blogspot.com...

What did you think?

Basma I thought the movie was amazing. It was awesome to see the book come to life. They actually did a really good job in keeping it related to the book. It was so emotional and perfect. I just loved it so much.

Lani It was amazing! I absolutely loved it and although I don't think it was better than the book, it was still really good.

MacKenzie Drury It was really good! It made me really happy because in some places they actually went word for word from the book. Also, the arena was perfect! But they didn't show the rebellion starting as much as I would have liked.

Matilda Rose It was perfect. :) So, so much better than the first movie. And instead of awkward staring and awkward silences, they could portray what was actually going on in Katniss's (properly messed up, as they also remembered to show) head. Word for word quotes from the book, whole scenes spot on, perfect arena, amazing backing characters like Finnick and Johanna who were by no means cardbaord cut outs... Ah, it was brilliant. And the end! That was good.

Richard me wife is a teacher so we tend to keep up on YA stuff, makes her time in the classroom easier. as such i'd read Catching Fire and given we had an afternoon without our kids we ducked up to see the movie

it was better than the first film, but that wouldn't be hard. but it was still a daft pantomime, ridiculous bad guys, dull love triangle and, despite jennifer lawrences best efforts, very silly dialogue

addmittedly though i am not the intended audience for this

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Did anyone else feel like the director told all the actors to be extremely overdramatic or was that just me?

David Feela Sandyboy wrote: "me wife is a teacher so we tend to keep up on YA stuff, makes her time in the classroom easier. as such i'd read Catching Fire and given we had an afternoon without our kids we ducked up to see the..."

THE SNACK GAMES

“Why aren’t you at home studying for the exam?”
“My parents told me I was born to be sacrificed at the government games next week.”
“But you have the highest academic standing in the class!”
“Yeah, I wish I’d known about this back in kindergarten.”
“But you’re the only one in the district who understands calculus!”
“They say math skills aren’t a good predictor of who will survive.”
“But you’re my best friend!”
“Then let’s switch places. I take your exam and you go to the arena.”
“You’d really take my exam?”
“Sure, what’s a little sacrifice.”
“If I don’t pass this year, I don’t graduate!”
“Well, I can say without equivocation that you will pass.”
“That would be so cool, if equivocation means you won’t get caught.”
“That’s what it means.”
“And you won’t mind your exam getting marked as a no show?”
“Just so nobody from the arena comes looking for me while I’m doing your calculus.”
“I’ll cover for you.”
“Here, take my knife, and my bow and arrows; they won’t allow them in the exam room.”
“Sure.”
“And you might as well have these cookies and cheese sticks too.”
“But you’ll need every ounce of energy you can muster just to think straight!”
“I had a big breakfast.”
“But it’s a six hour test!”
“I know, but chances of getting a snack once they let you into the arena are not that great.”
“Well, if you think so.”
“That’s what I’m here for, to do all the thinking.”
“A kiss for luck?”
“As if luck had anything to do with it.”

Reva.s IT WAS AWESOMOES YAY!!! I AM GONNA WATCH IT AGAIN!
But I wish that they put Haymitch's games in, that wood be coolios to see

message 10: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya IT WAS THE BEST MOVIE EVER, I'M GOING TO SEE IT AGAIN SOON, I ABSOLUTLEY LOVED IT!!!

message 11: by Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} (last edited Dec 02, 2013 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} The only big mistakes I saw in the movie were the lack of Peeta's mechanical leg(but they messed that up in The Hunger Games), District 13 was not mentioned until the end of the film, it never showed Katniss having trouble with electric fence, the bread never made an appearance, and they changed Prim's cat from the first movie. The only thing they will have to change for Mockingjay is Peeta's leg. As long as they can do that in a believable way, I have no problem with it.

message 12: by H.J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

H.J. Daly I thought it was a great adaptation but I thought that about the hunger games as well. There may have been the odd thing that was not included but I believe all the relevant bits were there. Loved it!

Tatiana I really liked it I felt they did justice to it, but then when I got home started to think about all the stuff they left out. Still it was awesome can't wait for the next installment.

Sherley I think Francis Lawrence and the rest of the crew did such an amazing job trying to stay as true to the book as possible. There were so many quotes from the book, it was literally perfect. Best book to movie adaption

message 15: by Anna (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anna Brentwood I really enjoyed it and thought they did a brilliant job keeping to the book--- something so many movies fail to do right.

Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} Sherley wrote: "There were so many quotes from the book, it was literally perfect."

I could literally speak with the movie it was so exact.

Shewanda Pugh Minda~Quenn wrote: "The only big mistakes I saw in the movie were the lack of Peeta's mechanical leg(but they messed that up in The Hunger Games), District 13 was not mentioned until the end of the film, it never show..."

You can forget about the leg. I think we can assume they plan to ignore that tidbit.

Shewanda Pugh I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, though I wasn't enamored with it the way I was with the first one. It felt rushed to me. Also, I was a little disappointed with the arena. I'd hoped that they'd shoot on location in the Amazon or something, the foliage looked a little too staged to me. Also, I wished they would have spent a little more time with Katniss and Peeta outside the tent once they were in the arena, as that's my favorite part.

Originally Pristine Matilda wrote: "It was perfect. :) So, so much better than the first movie. And instead of awkward staring and awkward silences, they could portray what was actually going on in Katniss's (properly messed up, as t..."

Oh yes! Definitely. The first movie did have a lot of awkwardness. The silences and the staring. But there are parts in the second movie where I thought that the most important bits didn't need the dramatic music in the background. Kind of overkill, you know? Like the part where Gale says that there wasn't a District 12 anymore in the ending, they didn't need to play sappy music in that part. =___= Overkill.

I also agree on the characters. They were portrayed so that they didn't seem two-dimensional.

And they also followed the book's original plot but not so much that it ended up being excruciatingly long. They only left in the important parts which is good. Unlike when I watched the Harry Potter movies (not that I don't like Harry Potter) where some parts bored me to death. I mean, come on, leave those parts in the books.

I was really happy with the movie. So when it ended, I had little complaints! :D I freaking loved it and I recommend it to anybody is interested in the series.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

PERFECTION

Stenedria Basma wrote: "I thought the movie was amazing. It was awesome to see the book come to life. They actually did a really good job in keeping it related to the book. It was so emotional and perfect. I just loved it..."

That is awesome to hear. I heard many people at school talking about today, and said it was amazing. The people who did read the book said it was close if not exactly like the book. When I heard that I had a little more faith in humanity. Thanks!

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood I just went and saw it yesterday and it was AMAZING!!! I LOVED IT!! I even kinda dressed up like her from the first one. Although sadly I can't say my dad can say the same.....seeing as he went with me caz I had no one else to go with and when I asked him if he liked it at the end he was all like 'eh it was okay.' and I'm like :O HOW COULD YOU NOT OF LIKED IT!?! IT WAS FLIPPIN' AMAZING!!!!!!

message 23: by Arielle Rae (last edited Dec 02, 2013 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arielle Rae Aguilar It was

Sometimes I was just like

Other times I was like

And sometimes it was just

It was one of the best book to movie adaptations so far, and I loved how they stuck true to the book

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Kirk (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kirk Just saw it today and enjoyed it. Better movie than the first by far, although the book was worse than its predecessor. Jennifer Lawrence looked a bit old to play Katniss the first film, and now she looks way too old for it.

Sonya marie madden money is tight at the beginning b4 I get my check so no money for movie tix. might have to wait for redbox

Sonya marie madden want to finish the book b4 I see the movie anyway

Jennifer Goebel The movie was fantastic! Better movie than the first and as good as the book--in fact, possibly better than the book as it tightened up the story--less of Katniss's personal angst. I loved it. Just loved it.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It was awesome. I really hope that people understand the meaning instead of just seeing it as entertainment.

Ayeiska I thought this was an amazing adaption and right afterwards I did a reread of both Catching Fire and Mockingjay because of the craving I felt after watching the movie. I just couldn't get enough. I'm already counting down the days to Mockingjay. This has always been one of the series so I hope each movies becomes better than the last. I do secretly hope that they do not kill Finnick in the movie adaption of Mockingjay. :)

Robin Patchen Agree with all of you on this. The movie was excellent. I can't wait to see Mockingjay.

Melaine I thought it was better then the first movie. I always like the books better but they did a really good job.

Masen OMG! I was surprised by Catching Fire! The first movie was only okay, so I just went with some friends to see the second, and especially compared to the first, it was really good! :)

message 33: by Jessica (last edited Dec 04, 2013 05:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jessica I thought this one was better than the first movie. I really enjoyed it. I thought they did well with Finnick and the other previous victors. VERY close to the book. I loved it. But now I'm nervous for Mockingjay because that's when Peeta goes bad...and something tells me that would be terrifying to see...

message 34: by ~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~ (last edited Dec 08, 2013 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~ ! ♥ I rp therefore I am Awesome ♥ ! ~ I think I am the only one who dislike this movie. I thought the first one was ten times better than this one. The only two things I didn't like about the Hunger games was the fact that the muttation wolves didn't make me feel repulsive (due to the eyes resembling that of the victor as well as they didn't resemble wolves at all) and that the fire costumes didn't look as realistic as I wanted. The fire looked very fake. I was hoping it would look more like the fabric was really on fire. Of course the big problem people had with book one was that the mayors daughter did not give the pin to Katniss. While I didn't enjoy that part it didn't particularly bother me. I would've preferred it to be the same as the book but I didn't really care too much about that part.

I did not think Catching Fire follow the book as much as people say.
What I disliked:
-Didn't show the escapees heading to district 13. Therefore at the end when they said "We're heading to district 13" it's like what? If someone hadn't read the book it would have been rather confusing.
-Gale's Flogging and medical scene was done wrong. I felt like they completely ruined the relationship (not romantically, the friendship) between Gale and Katniss. I felt absolutely no feelings or connections whatsoever. Gale had no turkey he attacked a peacekeeper. Katniss barely got hit. I was wanting a giant scratch not a 1 inch long pathetic little "cut" it didn't even look very deep. Gale wasn't passed out when Katniss came and he was like "Yo it's okay". They didn't show the one peacekeeper stepping out and saying the standard rules. The whole scene was all wrong and I wouldn't mind how they executed it if it was executed better. I was wanting some more emotion. There was nothing for me. I didn't feel like there was anything between Katniss and Gale. No friendship, no nothing until Katniss was by his side while he recovered. I think they could've stressed how important the medicine was to show the cruelties of the Capitol.
-Plutarch didn't have the watch with the mockingjay. I felt that the scene with Plutarch and Katniss was all wrong. The mokcingjay was a subtle hint to the revolution.
-There were a lot of hints and assumptions that were left out. For example, Snow showed Katniss a video of her kissing Gale versus the book where he was like "I know about the kiss" and she has to recall it and put together there were cameras. It was assumed that there was cameras but never said (even though it was obvious there was). These little things that were left out bothered me tremendously.
-Left out the scene where Katniss was stuck outside the fence and they were trying to get her caught. I was really looking forward to this scene but nevermind you can just cut it out altogether, that's fine.
-Lastly, the ending. I think the ending should've ended with the line "Katniss, there is no district 12." However, Gale then goes to say that there is nothing left and then they zoom in on Katniss's face. I kept waiting for the movie to cut out but it took awhile. It was just awkwardly on her face showing her expressions. It could've had a huge cliffhanger if it would've just cut off after Gale had said there was no district 12.

For those reasons I strongly disliked the film Catching Fire.

On the other hand I loved how well they executed Finnick. I also thought that the monkeys/muttations were executed a lot better than the first movie. I also loved it when Snow was like "PLUTARCH! PLUTARCH!" after the force field was destroyed. I also liked how they added in parts of the rebellion such as the mockingjay on signs, walls, and the graffiti of "The odds our never in our favor!" I thought those were nice touches.

Kalla [A Bookish Nerd] It was amazing!

Ellie I absolutely adored this movie! It was incredibly good and better than the first one (which was my favorite movie up until this one, next to Les Miserables). They did a really incredible job with creating the set for the arena, and the rebellion in District 11 was very well done. That was a very emotional scene. I think that the makers of the movie have outdone themselves.

Lorena PERFECTION <3

message 38: by AgCl (new) - rated it 4 stars

AgCl it was one of the better film adaptation of novels i've seen so far, though i felt that some parts were a bit rushed.

Andrea Minda~Quenn wrote: "The only big mistakes I saw in the movie were the lack of Peeta's mechanical leg(but they messed that up in The Hunger Games), District 13 was not mentioned until the end of the film, it never show..."

They also never showed the scene with Plutarch swiping his hand over his watching, the bread signaling when to break out, and the District 8 Rebels

DeVon i think it was good but it left out some important things out the book, but other than that the movie was great

Minda~Quenn {Somehow I found a way to get lost in you} Andrea wrote: "Minda~Quenn wrote: "The only big mistakes I saw in the movie were the lack of Peeta's mechanical leg(but they messed that up in The Hunger Games), District 13 was not mentioned until the end of the..."

I remembered the bread, I included the rebels with the unknown District 13, and I didn't think about Plutarch's watch.

Andrea Minda~Quenn wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Minda~Quenn wrote: "The only big mistakes I saw in the movie were the lack of Peeta's mechanical leg(but they messed that up in The Hunger Games), District 13 was not mentioned until..."

Sorry about that, I just wanted to clarify.

message 43: by Sindy (last edited Dec 10, 2013 06:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sindy LOVED IT...however Jennifer was too stiff for my liking and whats with the accent whenever she said the name Peeta? and not to mention she looked like a cougar compared to Josh who looked like a proper sixteen year old.
and man is he hottt....
TEAM PEETA!!!

Lakeisha I loved this movie.. I'm very particular when it comes to movies that were amazing books before. Hollywood seems to slay amazing literature and turn it into something completely different, this however was not the case. I think Francis Lawrence did an incredible job adapting this novel into a movie as I had such high expectations (this was my favourite book.) I think the casting choice and the acting was amazing. I have seen this movie twice already and I can't get enough of it!

message 45: by Uday (new) - rated it 4 stars

Uday Kanth I loved the whole tour part. And that fiasco in district 11! Every time Rue comes up on screen, my heart just swells up.

Perfect movie. Perfect casting. And prefect director to handle this series. I'm glad he's undertaking the next two movies as well.

message 46: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Thomson Lakeisha wrote: "I loved this movie.. I'm very particular when it comes to movies that were amazing books before. Hollywood seems to slay amazing literature and turn it into something completely different, this how..."

Urgh, please don't degrade this storyline to a mere love triangle with 'TEAM PEETA'.

Valley Brown I enjoyed watching the movie, but felt a lot of important bits were left out, things that lent critical nuances to the plot, as others have mentioned. It did seem crammed into the "allotted time" it was shown in. I think it would have helped to give just a wee bit more backstory from the first film at the beginning -- it would've helped the flow of things, the logic train. Some people have not read the books, yet see the films, and I hear them comment on a feeling of disconnect between the two films, as if a viewer needed to have cheat sheets from the books to make sense of everything. It was definitely worth seeing, but could have been adapted more judiciously.

Leila I LOVE THIS MOVIE. It was perfect; exactly like the book. In the tour I cried a river. Jennifer and Josh was more adults, and she worked better than the first movie. Oh, and about Peeta, I love him <3

Kaitlyn AMAZING!!!!!!! But I did scream when the monkey screamed at Peeta, even though I knew it was coming. :)

message 50: by Haidi (last edited Dec 16, 2013 01:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Haidi Jennifer wrote: "The movie was fantastic! Better movie than the first and as good as the book--in fact, possibly better than the book as it tightened up the story--less of Katniss's personal angst. I loved it. Just..."

I agree with you, I got the book back out the other day and flipped through bits to see how it compared to the movie and I think the book reads for such a young audience and that yes, there is lots of Katniss's thoughts about unnecessary stuff. I loved the movie and it did a great job of complementing the book and bringing it all together.

« previous 1