Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy" discussion

Sword & Sorcery in other media > [Movies] IMDB list

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.E. Lindberg (selindberg) | 2188 comments Mod
Started a list on the IMDB for Sword & Sorcery movies. Tried to capture some new ones coming up and most of the old ones.

There is a nice sorting features (by release date, rating, etc.).

http://www.imdb.com/list/TuXvLT7s874/

Any I should add?

message 2: by S.wagenaar (new)

S.wagenaar | 388 comments I didn't see the new Hercules movie with Dwayne Johnson on the list. Could be the biggest S&S movie of the 2014 season (more sword and sandal than true S&S). Hope it turns out good!

message 3: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.wagenaar wrote: "I didn't see the new Hercules movie with Dwayne Johnson on the list. Could be the biggest S&S movie of the 2014 season (more sword and sandal than true S&S). Hope it turns out good!"

Good catch..added that. I had the Hercules: The Legend Begins (2014) .. which apparently is different. Not sure of the recent interest in Hercules.

message 4: by S.wagenaar (new)

S.wagenaar | 388 comments Hollywood seems to have movie ideas on the shelf waiting for a trend. One company does some research and finds the market ripe for a Hercules movie. Then another company gets wind of it, and green lights their own Hercules screenplay they have had sitting on the shelf for years. Happens a lot; just check out last years Olympus had Fallen and Whitehouse Down- nearly identical plots!

message 5: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 425 comments I don't think we really need more Hercules movies. How about a new character?

message 6: by S.wagenaar (new)

S.wagenaar | 388 comments Hmmm...like Death Dealer? I could get behind that, if done seriously, rather than cheap and silly.

message 7: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

S.wagenaar wrote: "Hmmm...like Death Dealer? I could get behind that, if done seriously, rather than cheap and silly."

Robert Rodriguez (Sin City director) is said to have a reboot of Frazetta's Fire and Ice in the works (a live action version in which the Darkwolf essential plays the Deathdealer.) Haven't been updates on that for a long time.

message 8: by Periklis, Fafhrd (last edited Dec 01, 2013 05:46AM) (new)

Periklis (periklisbegzos) | 427 comments Mod
Nice list Seth! also, quite a few films I have to track down. The Hercules movie starring "Rock" might be interesting since the original graphic novel was good:

Hercules The Thracian Wars Volume 1 (Hercules (Radical)) (v. 1) by Steve Moore

message 9: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Periklis wrote: "...The Hercules movie starring "Rock" might be interesting since the original graphic novel was good..."

Periklis, yep...S.wagenaar already pinged me about that. The Rock's version is on the list, but its listing is not as filled out as the other Hercules due out soon.

I am looking forward to the Hobbit-2 and 47 Ronin this Holiday Season.

message 10: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 789 comments Do you want the marginal ones, like those made by Asylum and SyFy? For example:

3 Musketeers
The 7 Adventures of Sinbad
The Land That Time Forgot
Princess of Mars
Allan Quatermain and the Temple of Skulls
King of the Lost World

Anonymous Rex
Aztec Rex
Dragon Dynasty
Dragon Fighter
Dragon Sword
Dungeons and Dragons II: Wrath of the Dragon God
Immortal Voyage of Captain Drake, The
Lost Treasure of the Grand Canyon
Minotaur
Odysseus: Voyage to the Underworld
Reign of the Gargoyles
Riddles of the Spinx
Rise of the Gargoyles
Thor: Hammer of the Gods
Wraiths of Roanoke (Lost Colony)
Wyvern

I don't remember the details of most of them.

message 11: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Randy wrote: "Do you want the marginal ones, like those made by Asylum and SyFy? For example..."

Some of those should work. Thanks for the list. I will go check them out.

message 12: by Mark (new)

Mark | 77 comments Dragonslayer.

message 13: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Mark wrote: "Dragonslayer."

Cripes, I did miss Dragonslayer. Thx Mark.

message 14: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

I am hoping this list will be more informative for the future movies...so it is well to mop up the past ones...but if you know of future/current movies's let me know.

Periklis noted Indomitable, which just realesed.

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark | 77 comments What about jabawocky?

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 789 comments How about:

-- Outlander
-- Riverworld
-- Robin Hood (many versions)

Do you want animated features, such as:

-- How to Train Your Dragon
-- Shrek

How about television series, such as:

-- Legend of the Seeker
-- Witchblade
-- Roar
-- Xena: Warrior Princess
-- Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
-- Conan the Adventurer
-- Robin Hood

message 17: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Randy wrote: "How about:....How about television series, such as:..."

The animated ones are probably ok. I will check those.

It is tough to demark the boundaries. I would love to incorporate King Arthur and Hammer of the Gods, but they have no "sorcery."

The TV/cable series requires its own list (Game of Thrones, Earthsea, D&D cartoon, etc.).

message 18: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 789 comments S.E. wrote: "I would love to incorporate King Arthur and Hammer of the Gods, but they have no "sorcery.""

Kevin Costner's Robin Hood did. :)

Hmmm. How about Danny Kaye's The Court Jester!?

Lotta grey areas. :)

message 19: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 789 comments Mark wrote: "What about jabawocky?"

Even Monty Python and the Holy Grail. :)

message 20: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Randy wrote: "Kevin Costner's Robin Hood did [have sorcery]. :) ..."

Really? I saw that forever ago... I do not recall any sorcery in there.

message 21: by Mark (new)

Mark | 77 comments Bit of witchcraft.

message 22: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 789 comments S.E. wrote: "Randy wrote: "Kevin Costner's Robin Hood did [have sorcery]. :) ..."

Really? I saw that forever ago... I do not recall any sorcery in there."

Mortiana was the Sheriff's "witch" (and mother, as it turns out).

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Mortianna

message 23: by Jason M (last edited Dec 01, 2013 11:22AM) (new)

Jason M Waltz (worddancer) | 297 comments Legend of the Red Reaper

coming in June 2014...and RBE just so happens to be very shortly releasing the prequel novel co-authored by the movie writer/director/actress Tara Cardinal and Alex Bledsoe (of noir S&S fame).

message 24: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Jason M wrote: "Legend of the Red Reaper

coming in June 2014...and RBE just so happens to be very shortly releasing the prequel novel co-authored by the movie writer/director/actress Tara Cardinal and Alex Bledso..."

Jason, awesome! Added the movie to the list, of course. What a great tie-in. Keep us in the loop re: the prequel novel.

message 25: by Gene (new)

Gene Phillips | 6 comments There's also a third DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS flick, subtitled "the Book of Vile Darkness." The second one is the best of the three IMO.

message 26: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Joseph | 1189 comments Mod
Gene wrote: "The second one is the best of the three IMO."

I don't think "best" is an appropriate word to use in relation to any of the D&D movies ...

As far as movies from Hong Kong, I'd also add Storm Riders (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0165499/?...), which has both swords and sorcery, and the original Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086308/?...).

message 27: by Gene (new)

Gene Phillips | 6 comments My definition of "best" in this case means that there's at least some basic entertainment there. #2 at least was at least more lively than the first one, which seemed too slow and pretentious for a D&D flick. If you got nothing out of #2, well, that's what makes horse races.

I didn't read the whole list but I'll bet it doesn't have the absolute botttom-of-the-barrel S&S flick, one that makes the worst of Asylum look professional:

TIME BARBARIANS!

Also, should this list include Arthurian knight sagas as long as they have magic/sorcery in 'em?

message 28: by Francisco (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 11 comments Conan the legend directed by Paul Verhoeven? talking about Paul Verhoeven, what about Flesh+ blood?

message 29: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 76 comments Don't forget the Granddaddy of S&S movies, Fritz Lang's 'Die Nibelungen'. You may want to check out this site, too. It has a really comprehensive list:

http://swordcinema.blogspot.ca/p/list...

message 30: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Now this is reminding me that I'd love to see a DVD release of Hearts and Armor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086074/?...), an Italian adaptation of episodes from Orlando Furioso, I believe.

message 31: by Charles (new)

Charles (kainja) | 425 comments Joseph wrote: "Now this is reminding me that I'd love to see a DVD release of Hearts and Armor (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086074/?...), an Italian adaptation of episodes from Orlando Furioso, I bel..."

Yes indeed. "Hearts and Armor" was a very fine movie, I thought

message 32: by S.E., Gray Mouser (last edited Dec 05, 2013 12:12PM) (new)

All, I have been tracking the movies you mention in imdb as you discuss them...and am adding most of them. Thanks!

message 33: by Sean (new)

Sean (capthowdy) | 75 comments You need Barbarian Queen II: The Empress Strikes Back!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103768/?...

Plus the mighty 'Eye of the Serpent'!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109764/?...

How about Army of Darkness, that not suitable?

message 34: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

I think you added something called Hearts and Bones instead of Hearts and Armor. But still: Great list! I'll have to start looking for things on Netflix.

message 35: by S.E., Gray Mouser (last edited Dec 05, 2013 12:23PM) (new)

Up to 131 movies...with 13 available for free streaming on Prime or Hulu.

You guys identified about a dozen other movies I feel like I have to track down and watch (some of them sound terrible actually! Cripes I had trouble sitting thru Barbarian Queen 1...but "Barbarian Queen II: The Empress Strikes Back!" ...eh gad).

message 36: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Apparently at some point in the 80s or 90s there was a whole genre of sword & sorcery movies shot for a collective budget of about $50 whose main draw was that most of the women were topless most of the time.

Why was I never informed?

message 37: by Francisco (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 11 comments some italians not in the list... Krotar, Gunan, Thor, Conquest and the spanish Tunka el guerrero

message 38: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Francisco wrote: "some italians not in the list... Krotar, Gunan, Thor, Conquest and the spanish Tunka el guerrero"

Conquest was on there (I saw that one :) ), but not the others. Just located Gunan...and "Il trono di fuoco" which I think is Krotar. And "Thor il conquistatore"...

message 39: by Francisco (last edited Dec 06, 2013 04:31AM) (new)

message 40: by Francisco (new)

Francisco Ponce palmero | 11 comments is Hearts and armour, 1983, on the list?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086074/

message 41: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Yes, "hearts and armor" is on the list. Looks interesting.

message 42: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

I've only seen it (Hearts & Armour) once, many years ago on VHS, but it kind of reminded me of an Italian version of Excalibur. Which, considering the source material, is kind of appropriate.

message 43: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

2015 Movie and TV Show Lists in IMDB

I continue to maintain lists of movies (and now TV shows) related to Sword & Sorcery. Definition is pretty broad (not strictly REH-like, anything with Sword and Sorcery elements). Some neat ones coming in 2015 (or beyond) including the Fire & Ice reboot (live action) and a Warcraft movie.

Feel welcome to suggest additions.

Sword and Sorcery MOVIES - past and future

Sword and Sorcery TV shows - past and future

message 44: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

Coincidentally, I just watched the 2007 Robert Zemeckis version of Beowulf last night. Kind of a shame -- it seems like there was something interesting there, but I'd like to see it reshot with actual human beings on camera instead of Zemeckis' weird, waxy CGI puppets staring at me with their cold, dead eyes.

And has anyone been watching Vikings on the History Channel? The first season was quite good; need to watch the second season one of these days.

message 45: by S.E., Gray Mouser (last edited Jan 03, 2015 11:18AM) (new)

Joseph wrote: "Coincidentally, I just watched the 2007 Robert Zemeckis version of Beowulf last night. Kind of a shame -- it seems like there was something interesting there, but I'd like to see it reshot with ac..."

Is there any sorcery in "Vikings"?

message 46: by Joseph, Master Ultan (new)

S.E. wrote: "Is there any sorcery in "Vikings"? ..."

Nope, although most of the characters are followers of what I'm incorrectly going to describe as the Norse pantheon. But it definitely scratches the same itch.

For series that do contain sorcery, Krod Mandoon remains one of my favorites.

message 47: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

Joseph wrote: "Krod Mandoon remains one of my favorites..."

I have "Krod" on the TV list, though I've never seen it. Looks funny.

message 48: by S.E., Gray Mouser (new)

This list is continually updated: IMDB Sword & Sorcery movies listed by release. List is broad (not just old school S&S, but anything close with swords & magic).

2015 look promising, at least for the start of productions for two biggies including Legend of Conan and the live action Fire and Ice reboot. They may not make it to market until 2016.

http://screenrant.com/legend-conan-sc...
http://screenrant.com/fire-and-ice-mo...

Sword & Sorcery: "An earthier sort of fantasy"

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Hercules: The Thracian Wars (other topics)