The Sword and Laser discussion

Did you hit your reading goal?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments I've got about two books left to go out of 200. Also, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a totally epic book to close out the year. Note: If T or V makes a suggestion I will read it.

message 2: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments I reached it a while back but I haven't finished much since then

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 14 comments Yeah, I did today but my amount was very small because I only set it up like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott (dodger1379) | 124 comments Passed reading goal a few weeks ago and finishing my year out reading Riyria Revelations Series (I would recommend it if you haven't read it)

message 5: by Louise (new)

Louise (louiseh87) | 352 comments Yep, 40 books. I've actually reached 50 now according to GR, but that's counting short story magazines.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Harmon (thesaint08d) | 639 comments Yeah I underestimated myself and my time this year and actually more than doubled my goal

message 7: by Brightlord (new)

Brightlord Sabri (Spiro) | 11 comments I set 10 and i read 42 :P

message 8: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
My original goal was 48, then 60 then 90 I think. I just bumped it to 95 and I'm not changing it again. I might break 100 with some graphic novels and manga I've done recently, as I'm currently at 92 with a month to go.

Overall it's been a great reading year for me. A large part of the big underestimating was due to doing far more audio books than I expected.

message 9: by Mpauli (last edited Nov 30, 2013 10:23AM) (new)

Mpauli I didn't read a lot in the first half of the year and only had a reading goal of 35, which I achieved.
I was way behind for most of the year, but since September I took more time for reading and read the majority of the books within the last two months.
I'm curretly at 39 and challenged myself for 50 till the end of the year.
In the last two months I was always able to read around 10 books per month, so that might work out.

message 10: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments I set it low this year, just 36 books, and I still didn't reach my goal (and don't think I'm going to). It's been a bad year and my head hasn't been in reading. I'm hoping to do better next year, though am also working to try to catch up a bit this year. :)

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy O'Toole (temporaryworlds) | 135 comments My goal was 100, and I'm currently sitting at 102. Quite pleased with the results!

message 12: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments 36 out of 50. It's not looking promising. Though I do have several books that I'm part way through right now. I think I can pass 40 by the end of next week.

message 13: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments 41/48 so far...might hit it.

message 14: by Alicja (new)

Alicja (darkwingduckie7) | 63 comments I started with 50, changed to 60, then 75, and now 90. I hit 90 two days ago! Yay! Not changing it anymore. :)

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 13 comments I aim to finish 1 book per week, hit 52 back in September and changed goal to 70. I'm currently at 62 / 70. Almost done 63, half done 64 & 65.
Often wonder if I stuck to one book at a time would they go faster or slower.

message 16: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (davidscharf) | 327 comments I'm at 46 out of 52. For most of the year, I was a book or two ahead of schedule. Ancillary Justice has put me a book behind the pace I need to have set.

It's the same number I set for last year, but last year I was also a bit less picky. I've been avoiding graphic novels and trade collections of comics this year, which helped quite a bit last year. If I'm a behind in the final week, I may pick up one of the ones I've been putting off reading to boost my numbers.

message 17: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments I deliberately set my goal low for me in the hopes that I might actually read less, this did not work out. Thinking of pushing for 200 before the end of the year. Last year hit 240, so I didn't fail completely.

message 18: by Clyde (last edited Nov 30, 2013 07:37PM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 413 comments Set a goal of 52, one a week, but am easily overshooting it. I am on 70 now and will probably hit 75 or 76 before year-end.

Mr. Noah and Christopher, you guys are amazing! (Your book budgets must be rather amazing too.)

message 19: by AndPeggy (new)

AndPeggy | 38 comments I reached my goal of 80 and hope to finish 100 books.

message 20: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Preiman | 347 comments Oh no. I am remarkably poor, I just make good use of the library and sales.

message 21: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 85 comments I just hit 100. Chances are good I'll make my 113 before the end of the year.

message 22: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Amazon daily deals have helped me a lot, as well as finding new authors who price their books low. Also, this is my main hobby, so most of my entertainment dollars go to it. Of course, most classic books are public domain,so that helps too.

message 23: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 96 comments I am still short 206 out of 225
I think I will finish I tend to read more this time of year than I do in spring and summer - it is my hibernation hobby lol

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments I keep my goal at 150, and the last few years have hit a very specific 197. Yesterday I just hit 203 and that's with reading Infinite Jest this summer.

Booyah! \o/ A great year of reading!

message 25: by Leah (new)

Leah | 8 comments I reached my goal of 36 yesterday. I love reading, but don't know how so many folks read so many books in a year! I should finish 2-3 more books than my goal by the end of the year.

message 26: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I set mine at 30 then upped it to 40. Hit it week before last and now I don't care to read anymore.

message 27: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments I made my goal one a week this year and just passed 65, so well ahead. By the end of the year I may break 70.

My additional personal goal was to catch up on at least one series and I will make that too. Currently half way through book 6 of David Weber's Safehold series. Next year I will be doing something similar. Try to read all of Narnia or Princes of Amber I think.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments AndrewP wrote: "Next year I will be doing something similar. Try to read all of Narnia or Princes of Amber I think. "
You know, I've never read Princes of Amber and I have the first one at home, purchased from a used bookstore in Georgetown, SC. It has a unicorn bookplate with a child's name. The bookstore burned to the ground earlier this year so it seems to matter more.

message 29: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 148 comments This year's goal was 120, and I passed that mark a couple of weeks ago. It is more interesting for me to see how much that I actually am reading (though the number is falsely low since re-reads can't really be counted), than to try to meet a specific goal - but watching the widget on the Home page is fun. :-)

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken (kanthr) | 334 comments I wish the goal system were capable of more abstract plans. Quantity is not a gauge I care about, so I leave it blank and it continues to nag me on my profile page, just sitting there with the offered blank field waiting for a positive integer.

I'd rather set a goal like, "Read a book by Author A, B and C this year, and also read something in genres X, Y and Z. Maybe read something in another language."

message 31: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Kenneth wrote: "I wish the goal system were capable of more abstract plans. Quantity is not a gauge I care about, so I leave it blank and it continues to nag me on my profile page, just sitting there with the offe..."

I met my goal, but I agree with you. It would be nice if a more meaningful target could be set. For example, I was thinking of making my own personal goal for next year to be to only read books by authors I've not read before.

message 32: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments I agree. Next year I want to read longer books,, like the stand. I guess we can have a thread to declare personal goals., or just add them to this one. I'd also like to do more book dares, because it was a lot of fun reading books that others suggested and suggesting my own.

message 33: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 355 comments Couldn't you make a list of the authors you want to read, tally up the total, and only count the books on that list?

message 34: by Gregor (new)

Gregor Xane (gregorxane) | 111 comments Caitlin wrote: "Couldn't you make a list of the authors you want to read, tally up the total, and only count the books on that list?"

Yeah, but it wouldn't be too difficult for Goodreads to add a text field to their reading challenge template that would allow you to declare a personal goal.

message 35: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Me. Noah - I started a thread like that late last year for this year. For example, my goal this year was to read 36 books but to ensure that each S&L pick was one of those (I tried all this year, Lem'd 1). So I'm totally in support of non quantity-based goals :)

message 36: by Noah (new)

Noah Sturdevant (noahksturdevant) | 173 comments Well, by all means start the thread for next year. I don't want to step on your virtual toes ;)

message 37: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments You could always create a bookshelf called "goal to read in 2014"

message 38: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4135 comments Mr. Noah wrote: "Well, by all means start the thread for next year. I don't want to step on your virtual toes ;)"

Nah, feel free this year. If I don't see one, I'll do it later but no toes stepped on, I assure you!!

message 39: by AndrewP (last edited Dec 01, 2013 08:16PM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Michelle wrote: "I aim to finish 1 book per week, hit 52 back in September and changed goal to 70. I'm currently at 62 / 70. Almost done 63, half done 64 & 65.
Often wonder if I stuck to one book at a time would they go faster or slower."

For me they go faster if I have them on different mediums. Having a 'beach/pulp read' in the Kindle App on my phone works well as there are a lot of 5-10 minute breaks in the day where I can read a few pages. Over a week or two they all add up.

message 40: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I aimed higher this year than last, have read 50 books (goal was 70). But no worries here. I'm more concerned that only 2 non-re-read books got 5 stars from me this year. I'm trying to figure out if it's me or the books I chose.

message 41: by Scott (new)

Scott | 312 comments I'm currently at 26 of the 30 I had set as my goal

message 42: by Shaline (new)

Shaline Lopez | 42 comments My goal was 54 and I am currently at 71. I think I will just crack 75 by the year's end. I read a lot more than I expected to.

message 43: by Angie (new)

Angie (bookaddictang) My goal is 60 and I'm two away from that. I think if I didn't have school I would have hit it ages ago...I might try to read up to 75 but that depends on what goes on during the semester break.

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 701 comments 39 out of 36 currently. That includes a couple of short story magazines and graphic novels, but I'll finish 3-4 more books by the end of the year, so it'll even out.

message 45: by Leif (new)

Leif (leffa) | 19 comments Had a goal for 54 books, and have read 62 so far. That's a success. E-books and sword and laser have really rekindled (no pun intended) my love of reading. Most books I'v read in 5-6 years.

message 46: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 580 comments My goal was 100, and I hit it the last week in November, no audio books or graphic novels were counted. 95% of the books I got from my public library. My goal for 2014 is to read 100 books that I own

message 47: by Lonnie (new)

Lonnie Smith (readwithmybrain) | 47 comments I am at 12/14 - and looks like I will nail the last two this month... but... HOW DO YOU ALL READ SO MUCH!!!! I consider myself an avid reader, but I do read a lot less than I used to.

Might have something to do with 3 boys under 5, and two jobs... :)

message 48: by Fresno Bob (new)

Fresno Bob | 580 comments Lonnie wrote: "I am at 12/14 - and looks like I will nail the last two this month... but... HOW DO YOU ALL READ SO MUCH!!!! I consider myself an avid reader, but I do read a lot less than I used to.

Might have s..."

I travel a lot for work, so I read on planes and in airports, I stopped watching television, I also read pretty fast

message 49: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments I keep my yearly goal set at 50. I've had trouble reaching it in recent years, including this year, which is sitting right at 37 at the moment, but I'd be pleased with at least making it into the 40s somewhere.

message 50: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments Lonnie wrote: "I am at 12/14 - and looks like I will nail the last two this month... but... HOW DO YOU ALL READ SO MUCH!!!! I consider myself an avid reader, but I do read a lot less than I used to.

Might have something to do with 3 boys under 5, and two jobs... :) ."

That may have a lot to do with it. LoL. I also have trouble with that.

« previous 1