The Not-So Austen Bookclub discussion

Books To Screen > Divergent ~ The Movie

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Booknut, Head Moderator (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
For the latest news and behind-the-scenes info on the movie, check out the official website here: http://divergentthemovie.com/

message 2: by Booknut, Head Moderator (last edited Nov 29, 2013 06:17PM) (new)

Booknut (booknut101) | 4592 comments Mod
Personally, I love the cast picks for Tris and Four. I know alot of people disagree, but watching the trailer made me realise that Theo carries that 'Four-like' attitude and presence that you'd want Four's actor to have.

I also love the accuracy of the tattoos. My only (tiny) complaint would be that maybe (just maybe!) Shailene is a little too pretty to play Tris!

I like Shailene as Tris. But re-reading the series made me remember the conversations Tris had with Four on the subject. Tris is meant to be pretty plain looking. Unusually attractive in her own right, through Four's eyes. Shailene is gorgeous - and I understand that seeing it's a Hollywood production, Tris being beautified was going to happen eventually. But I wonder how the movie would have turned out if they'd picked someone more like Tris look-wise.

Shailene, acting wise, I think is a great match, though.

message 3: by Jay (new)

Jay | 212 comments Shailene Woodley is awesome

message 4: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I love the cast. Shailene Woodley is amazing and I love her. And I am happy with who they cast as Four as well:)

message 5: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I didn't like him at first either. He's grown on me.

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Yeah, I like the actors separately but am not sure how they'll work together.
Jeanine is perfect.

message 7: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments The tattoos are perfect but yes I agree, the scene itself is a little awkward.

message 8: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments Agreed.

And yeah, I actually really like Shailene Woodley. I think that maybe the two actors just don't have good chemistry. I saw her in The Spectacular Now and it was a great movie and her chemistry with the other actor was good:) Her chemistry with the actor who plays Augustus is pretty good, I hope, and from what I've heard from John Green, their chemistry is good:)

message 9: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I have to agree with you there. He is attractive but I think they could have picked someone a little younger. It can be hard to have in screen chemistry if you don't have much in common off.

message 10: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments That age gap is really insurmountable, isn't it? ;)

message 11: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (olivia1395) | 1948 comments I think the age gap really depends on the couple itself.
And yeah, but a lot of actors do that. Most of the actors who play high school students are in their 30's.

Hopefully the rest of the scenes work out better:) Me too!

message 12: by talltyrion (new)

talltyrion | 708 comments True. My parents have seventeen years between them.