Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > Novels that have children play an important role

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ☯Emily (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 17978 comments I have just finished reading N or M? Christie has a toddler play an important role in the novel. I don't remember any other mystery by Christie that has a toddler or a young child have an active role in resolution of the mystery. Can anyone think of one? Did you think Christie gave an accurate portrayal of a toddler? What did you think of Betty?

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4562 comments Mod
I loved Betty - I was listening to the audiobook and the narrator made her so realistic to me. I loved how Tuppence would play with her too. I can't remember, but is Betty in the later T&T books since they adopted her?

message 3: by ☯Emily (last edited Dec 02, 2013 02:50PM) (new)

☯Emily  Ginder | 17978 comments Someone said in the N or M? thread that she is mentioned briefly in a later book.

message 4: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. | 4562 comments Mod
Well, I hope the mention is pivotal then.

message 5: by Indiabookstore (new)

Indiabookstore | 7 comments ☯Emily has reviews on Booklikes wrote: "I have just finished reading N or M? Christie has a toddler play an important role in the novel. I don't remember any other mystery by Christie that has a toddler or a young child have an active ..."

There are 2 that I can think of, offhand: Crooked House, where a child plays a very important role, and The Clocks, where a child is an important witness.

message 6: by Indiabookstore (new)

Indiabookstore | 7 comments Just thought of 2 more: Cat Among the Pigeons, which is set in a girls' school, and Dead Man's Folly, where a young girl is the first victim.

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 74 comments There are several in which memories from childhood play an important role. There is Sleeping Murder and Five Little Pigs.

There are also others in which teenagers are involved. Hallowe'en Party and Evil Under the Sun.

message 8: by Tommy (new)

Tommy | 9 comments Crooked House

message 9: by Edward (new)

Edward Turbeville (edward_turbeville) | 17 comments Crooked House

Astonishing they have never filmed it.

Betty from N or M is mentioned in the later Tommy & Tuppence novel Postern of Fate. There is a rather awkward reference that Tuppence makes to Tommy of "Betty, our adopted daughter". Unlikely that a wife would feel the need to add the qualifier to her husband, but perhaps it was for the reader's benefit. Postern is a very late Christie work and suffers from some of the flaws of her final novels.