A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) A Game of Thrones discussion

Nothing compares

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emilie After reading the first 4 books I just can't get interested into any other book. They all just seem boring and juvenile. :( I gotta get his other books!

Michael Alan Grapin This is definitely a series that leaves you with an empty feeling once you've finished reading. I definitely wanted more and am truly looking forward to book number six...however, I can always get interested in reading another book...so many books to read and so little time in which to read them!

message 3: by Feliks (new)

Feliks Emilie wrote: "After reading the first 4 books I just can't get interested into any other book. They all just seem boring and juvenile. :( I gotta get his other books!"

Please. Widen your reading range.

message 4: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken If you think other stories are boring and juvenile compared to this, you should delve into classic SF and Fantasy, as well as some modern heroes. Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, Ursula K LeGuin, JG Ballard, China Mieville, Zelazny, Neil Gaiman's American Gods, HP Lovecraft, Tolkien, Scalzi, just to mention the first few that came into my head.

George RR Martin isn't a bad writer, but he's not the only one out there.

message 5: by Milena (last edited Dec 02, 2013 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Milena I read all 4 in a row feeling like an addict, like I had no choice but to read in any and all free time. Then I realized there is a fifth book out but decided to take a break after around 4000 pages of Westeros. It's been a couple of months and I just ordered A Dance With Dragons. Ready to dive back in!

Edited to add: That being said, I did not feel like I can't get to anything else. There are so many great books out there. You could look at lists with GOT on them and see what else might interest you.

Chris Bumpas Emilie wrote: "After reading the first 4 books I just can't get interested into any other book. They all just seem boring and juvenile. :( I gotta get his other books!"

Don't worry. I felt similar but the 5th book took care of that. Just not as good.

Michael Alan Grapin Chris wrote: "Emilie wrote: "After reading the first 4 books I just can't get interested into any other book. They all just seem boring and juvenile. :( I gotta get his other books!"

Don't worry. I felt similar..."

Reading number five certainly made me crave number six.

Chris Bumpas Maybe you misunderstood. Number 5 sucks so far, imo.

Michael Alan Grapin Chris wrote: "Maybe you misunderstood. Number 5 sucks so far, imo."

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, Chris, but I enjoyed number 5 very much and eagerly await number 6 which I hope will be available soon.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:00PM) (new)

These books are good. . . . But I can name five authors off the top of my head who are batter: Brandon Sanderson, Patrick Rothfuss, Brian McClellan, Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind. Just for starters. A Song of Ice & Fire is great, but it isn't even remotely close to the best. I have also heard Joe Abercrombie pitched as "GRRM on speed" and I am in the camp of "Pratchett is a visionary". Again, ASOIAF is great, it's epic, it's big and is a turning point in the genre. But it isn't even close to the best. Not by a long shot.

Also, try non-fantasy epics: The Stand, IT, War & Peace, les Miserebles. These are all better as well.

message 11: by Ken (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ken Gotta completely disagree about Goodkind. The guy is squarely pigeon-holed into fantasy no-no's.

Amber I agree, Goodkind uses shock value in a much more distracting way, plus by the end you realize the whole the story was a bit pointless. Plus, too much rhetoric especially toward the close of the series.

I'm even iffy on Sanderson, he's a fast writer that puts out decent fun books to read, but I haven't seen him write anything on the scale of GRRM or Rothfuss. He's still perfecting in my opinion, I've been really hit and miss with his novels.

message 13: by Jack (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jack Conner Yes, ASOIAF is a special series, and there's nothing else quite like it. That's not to say there aren't other equally-as-great novels out there. Tolkien of course. Dan Simmons's "Hyperion" books. Patrick Rothfuss. If you want big juicy historicals with grit and darkness, try Gary Jennings's books, which are just as fat and complicated as GRRM's.

Christian I agree with the others here. Martin is a really good author, probably one of the best living authors in his particular genre, but he's not the best writer over all.
I personally think Jim Butcher and Sir Terry Pratchett are better writers over all.
The fact that he can't seem to get his fingers out his ass doesn't really help him though. Seriously, he has produced less than a page a day since he started ASoIaF.

Thomas Erikson - Malazan
Lawerence - Broken Empire
Hulick - Among Thieves
Cook - Black Company
Sanderson - Mistborn
Brett - Demon Cycle
Abercombe - The First Law

El Mikoe Thomas wrote: "Erikson - Malazan
Lawerence - Broken Empire
Hulick - Among Thieves
Cook - Black Company
Sanderson - Mistborn
Brett - Demon Cycle
Abercombe - The First Law"

First of all great list, I only didn't read the demon cycle but it is on my to read list, I found these series at least equally cool as ASOIF. With Malazan on top I absolutely loved it can't wait for the Kharkanas trilogy

Deborah Emilie wrote: "After reading the first 4 books I just can't get interested into any other book. They all just seem boring and juvenile. :( I gotta get his other books!"

Try Ken Follett. I love that man.

message 18: by Adam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Adam Evans All of the following fantasy series are on the same level in my opinion:

A song of ice and fire. George martin
The first law. Joe abercrombie
The stormlight archive. Brandon sanderson
The kingkiller chronicle. Patrick rothfuss

Honerable mention goes to the wheel of time. Im only done the first 7

Darcy Morgan His books ruined my life, literally. I stopped talking with my family, I stopped taking interest in all the other books that are not in this series. Let's not EVEN talk about the TV show. I didn't go to school for two days after the Red Wedding episode, I'm living in current fear Martin is gonna kill Daenerys who's my favorite TV and book character of all time. I'd spend nights thinking about the books again and again and again. It totally drove me crazy.
The only reason I'm still alive is because of the next season of the TV show that airs in March. GUYS, WINTER IS COMING!

Julia Darcy wrote: "His books ruined my life, literally. I stopped talking with my family, I stopped taking interest in all the other books that are not in this series. Let's not EVEN talk about the TV show. I didn't ..."

A bit like a drug addiction isn't it? You know there's a better life out there, but you just can't peel yourself away.

Matthias Hejlskov I just never got the game of thrones series I guess, I red a few of the books, but found them incredibly boring, and the writing fairly dull and uninspired, and he doesn't bring anything new to the genre really, apart from maybe having 50% of the book spent on who's related to who and what his banner looks like.

I found them so boring that it took me over a month to force myself through each book I read, and people kept saying it gets better in the next book, but it really didn't.

I'll stick to wolfe, abercrombie, rothfuss, brett, brent weeks, robin hobb, pratchett, gaiman, ursula le guin and the literally dozens of fantastic fantasy authors out there and leave boring books for when all the good authors are dead and have stopped writing, but that's unlikely to happen as new authors come along all the time.

message 22: by Feliks (new)

Feliks Kenneth wrote: "If you think other stories are boring and juvenile compared to this, you should delve into classic SF and Fantasy..."

Seriously. These green kids are so easily over-awed.

message 23: by Feliks (new)

Feliks Kenneth wrote: "If you think other stories are boring and juvenile compared to this, you should delve into classic SF and Fantasy..."

Green kids are so easily over-awed. Lately worse than ever.

Christian Feliks wrote: "Green kids are so easily over-awed. Lately worse than ever."

Either we're in a nearly vertical downwards spiral or kids are like they've always been, because people have been complaining about that at least since the Ancient Greeks.

Julia Christian wrote: "Either we're in a nearly vertical downwards spiral or kids are like they've always been, because people have been compla..."

Wishing for a like button right about now.