You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Snow Child
This topic is about The Snow Child
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > December 2013 - The Snow Child discussion

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments Happy Reading!!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments I am half way through a book then I have another to read before I get to this one but I'm looking forward to reading and discussing it.

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I read the first chapter this afternoon. I'll make some more detailed comments when I'm not on my phone and am a bit further along.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2013 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I read the first 3 chapters. I enjoy the book so far, I think the author does a really great job in describing living in Alaska, and what life is like for Mabel and Jack. I feel for them, (view spoiler)

edit: somewhere in chapter 7 now, (view spoiler) I'm still enjoying the book, and I really liked (view spoiler)

Oh! And I was a bit confused in the beginning when I read (view spoiler)

message 5: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (yakyma) | 1044 comments This one looked interesting to me...I might read it after I finish my current book.

message 6: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I'm about 30% through now, still enjoying it a lot! I wonder why (view spoiler)

message 7: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I'm just over halfway through, and (view spoiler)

Kirila | 612 comments I started the book yesterday and so far I am enjoying it. I am at chapter 7. I like how the author doesn't reveal everything at once but makes us wonder (view spoiler).
Peggy, I was also confused about (view spoiler)

message 9: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments You shouldn't read this spoiler until you're at chapter 38 or so, (view spoiler)

message 10: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I've almost finished the book, I'm at chapter 49 now. (view spoiler)

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments Finished!

This is my whole review:

I really liked this one! I had been looking forward to reading it for quite some time and while that sometimes disappoints me because I've come to expect too much of a book, it didn't disappoint me this time. The book had a very nice writing style, and I was immediately sucked into the lives of Jack and Mabel. I could feel the harsh Alaskan living conditions, and the troubles of their lives. From page 1 I felt for them, and was sincerely hoping that they would find more joy in each other and in their lives. Then Faina arrived, and she intrigued me so! (view spoiler)

Unfortunately, part 3 of the book was not as good as the first two parts in my opinion. The story rushed along a bit, with no real explanations of why things happened. (view spoiler)

Whereas the first two parts were well-explained and very detailed, I felt like the third part was written in a hurry, with the writer trying to finish things quickly and not as much care was taken in writing the story. I still enjoyed all of the book though!

Can't wait to hear some more opinions on this book :)

Julia Gallagher (juliagallagher) | 140 comments I absolutely agree, I remember the beginning being a lot stronger than the end. I thought it got a little rushed and confusing in parts in the last section. One of the things I really remember about the book is very much feeling as though I was in that frigid, dark Alaskan winter. The book did a great job at pulling me into that setting.

message 13: by Snoozie Suzie (last edited Dec 08, 2013 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Snoozie Suzie (snooziesuzie) | 937 comments The whole Alaskan winter thing got me too in that the writing really got across the isolation and the addition of the darkness and cold could be felt so I thought this was written well, and also their despair when things failed and went wrong the feelings of helplessness and so on. But, Some of it was a bit confusing/unexplained/rushed which was a shame as other parts were so good.

I remember feeling quite tense at times wondering what would happen, whether Faina would return, etc. I really got sucked into the story.

Kirila | 612 comments I am at Chapter 22, at the point where (view spoiler)

I am enjoying the book so far, but I am confused about one thing. (view spoiler)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Julia wrote: "I absolutely agree, I remember the beginning being a lot stronger than the end. I thought it got a little rushed and confusing in parts in the last section. One of the things I really remember abou..."

I agree as well, but still loved the book overall. Did wish the author had taken more time and care in ending the book.

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Dec 10, 2013 03:18PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I started reading this today and am up to Chapter 7. I am enjoying it so far, I love the writing style and the storyline is intriguing. I particularly like the vivid descriptions of Alaska and the imagery that they evoke. It sounds harsh and unforgiving yet beautiful and magical at the same time.

Peggy, I too really enjoyed the part where (view spoiler)

I am really excited to discover (view spoiler)

Looking forward to reading the rest! :)

message 17: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments I really enjoyed this book. The author described the surroundings and characters so well that you almost felt like you were watching it instead of reading it. It's a weave of fairy tale and reality as intricate as a snow flake!!

Hillary (hmom) | 5 comments Have you notice the author doesn't use "quotation" marks?

message 19: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori (glitzyrebel) | 433 comments Hillary wrote: "Have you notice the author doesn't use "quotation" marks?"

No, I didn't notice that at all. The lack of quotation marks is not something you notice on an audiobook. ha!

message 20: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments Hillary wrote: "Have you notice the author doesn't use "quotation" marks?"

Yes, I did, for the conversations that included Faina. It's not clear to me why it was done like that though.

message 21: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments Kirila and Lisa (and everybody else), don't read this until you've finished the book, (view spoiler)

message 22: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I did notice that the author doesn't use quotation marks. It seems to be quite a common thing nowadays. The book I read immediately before this, The Collector, didn't have them either. I don't know why they are not included, maybe it's just to make the whole thing a bit different.

message 23: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I think it had something to do with somehow making their conversations with Faina different. At first I thought maybe it was to stress that the conversations took place in Jack and Mabel's heads or that Faina was imaginary, but because Jack and Mabel could both see the same Faina and could both be involved in the same conversation with her, I dismissed that idea.

message 24: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49937 comments I read the audiobook version of The Snow Child, so didn't notice the lack of quotation marks. I recently read The Orchardist and it didn't use quotations at all. It gave it an ethereal feel, almost like the characters had no voice.

message 25: by Lisa (last edited Dec 10, 2013 04:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have just reached Chapter 17 which is the beginning of Part 2.

I am fascinated by the mystery of the girl. (view spoiler)

So many questions! I hope we get answers to some of them at least! My theories will most probably turn out to be completely wrong (they usually are, I would never make a detective!) but I am sticking with them for now :)

message 26: by Josée Leon (last edited Dec 10, 2013 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Josée Leon (join_bookland) This was my I book for the Alphabet challenge and I truly enjoyed it. I think the author intentionally leaves some things vague to leave it up to the reader's imagination. I thought the story was quite magical and (view spoiler) BTW, has anyone seen the movie "The Fox & The Child". I saw it in French : "Le renard et l'enfant". Because of the fox in this story it reminded me of this wonderful movie. There is almost no dialogue in the movie but the scenery is beautiful and the relationship that develops between the child and the fox is magical.

message 27: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I haven't seen 'The Fox and the Child' movie Josee but I have just checked it out on IMDB and it sounds really good. Will probably give it a watch once I have finished reading this.

Kirila | 612 comments Lisa, I like your theory about (view spoiler).

I am now at Chapter 31. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Dec 11, 2013 04:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I am now up to Chapter 23. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments I hate snow, but the author indeed makes it magical! I almost wished for snow when I was reading it. And I really liked those scenes too Lisa :)

message 31: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I quite like snow. This book has had me wishing that it would snow too. It is definitely a good read for this time of year. It is actually making me feel quite festive as well, even though it is not a Christmas book.

Marnie (marnie19) | 2019 comments I finished this book while I was sitting on a plane waiting for it to be de- iced...which sure set the mood :).
I enjoyed this book especially the first two parts. It was almost mystical.. I thought the author painted a clear picture of the bleakness of the Alaskan wilderness. The isolation and daily struggle to survive. I thought Faina brought much needed color into their lives.

The beginning reminded me a bit of The Light Between Oceans where the adults are so desperate for a child that they are too afraid to ask any questions. The circumstances are different but the longing is the same.
Where the book lost some of its charm for me was the ending. I wasn't crazy about how it ended. All in all a nice winter read.

Josée Leon (join_bookland) Lisa wrote: "I haven't seen 'The Fox and the Child' movie Josee but I have just checked it out on IMDB and it sounds really good. Will probably give it a watch once I have finished reading this."

If you do see it Lisa, let me know what you thought about it :)

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments Come straight to the end without reading any posts (I'm being good!). Now I've finished my alphabet I'm starting this book. Looking forward to it.

Kirila | 612 comments I just finished it. Two late nights... but always worth it when the book is good. I am sure I will dream of Alaska tonight :) Overall I really enjoyed it. Referring to other people's comments, the third part didn't feel rushed to me. Yes, things happened faster but we can fill in the gaps. I liked how the author mixes the different stories about Snegorochka, but also doesn't really follow any of them.

(view spoiler)

Sorry if my thoughts are not very connected :). I just finished the book and my head is spinning with ideas and possible explanations :))

message 36: by Lisa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Josee wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I haven't seen 'The Fox and the Child' movie Josee but I have just checked it out on IMDB and it sounds really good. Will probably give it a watch once I have finished reading this."

..."

I will do Josee :)

message 37: by Lisa (last edited Dec 12, 2013 03:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Sarah wrote: "Come straight to the end without reading any posts (I'm being good!). Now I've finished my alphabet I'm starting this book. Looking forward to it."

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Sarah.

message 38: by Janice, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Janice (jamasc) | 49937 comments I really like what you had to say in your spoiler, Kirila. I think your comments really explain Faina well, and in a way that I hadn't considered before.

message 39: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments I've read up to the end of chapter 3 so I'm not far in. I'm loving the bleakness of it all. Their landscape is so harsh and unforgiving and it reminds me of the setting of the hotel in The Shining - I get the same feelings about it - at first I think wow that would be great to live out in the middle of nowhere, plenty of peace and quiet and amazing terrain but I think it would send you mad after a while.

Reading about Mabel's trip across the ice (view spoiler)

I can see that after what they had gone through they wanted to escape in to solitude (view spoiler)

I am really liking the writing style and in places it is very poetic. I have found myself really drawn to all the characters I have met so far.

I was pleased that Mabel and Jack were invited to the Benson's (view spoiler)

I'm hooked and can't wait to read on and find out more.

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments I noticed someone mention the lack of quotation marks and so I've been keeping an eye out as I read. She does use them when characters are in conversation in the present but when a character is recalling a conversation from the past, there is an absence of them. I know that Margaret Attwood does this too - The Handmaid's Tale is a classic example of it.

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Dec 13, 2013 11:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments Kirila wrote: "I just finished it. Two late nights... but always worth it when the book is good. I am sure I will dream of Alaska tonight :) Overall I really enjoyed it. Referring to other people's comments, the ..."

I like your thoughts on the book, especially how Faina (view spoiler)

message 42: by Peggy, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15351 comments Sarah wrote: "I noticed someone mention the lack of quotation marks and so I've been keeping an eye out as I read. She does use them when characters are in conversation in the present but when a character is rec..."

Hm, I thought only the conversations including Faina were without quotation marks, but I could be mistaken.

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Dec 13, 2013 11:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments Peggy wrote: "Hm, I thought only the conversations including Faina were without quotation marks, but I could be mistaken. "

There are definitely a couple conversations in the first few chapters in this way - I don't know who Faina is yet (I'm presuming the snow girl whom I have met but she has not provided a name as yet).

message 44: by Lisa (last edited Dec 13, 2013 02:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I have finished!

Overall, I thought it was a really enchanting story. I loved the writing (snow has never been this magical in my opinion) and the breathtaking beauty of Alaska was captured and bought to life brilliantly by the author. I really want to visit Alaska now after reading this book!

(view spoiler)

All in all, this was a really enjoyable read that is perfect for a cold winter's night. 4 stars from me.

Kirila | 612 comments Peggy wrote: "Kirila wrote: "I just finished it. Two late nights... but always worth it when the book is good. I am sure I will dream of Alaska tonight :) Overall I really enjoyed it. Referring to other people's..."

Peggy, (view spoiler)

Lisa, (view spoiler)

message 46: by Lisa (last edited Dec 13, 2013 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Kirila, (view spoiler)

Also, I liked the fact that (view spoiler)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I'm so happy to see the predominantly positive feedback for this book that I found so magical when I read it at the beginning of this year : )

message 48: by Sarah, Moderator (last edited Dec 14, 2013 02:14AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments I've read up to the end of chapter 16 now. It's a very magical book.

I too loved the "first snow" scene. (view spoiler)

The little girl is so made for the wild, the woods and the cold. (view spoiler)

The lack of speech marks when the little girl is conversing with Mabel and Jack has to be for a reason and not just to be different. I think perhaps it implies that the snow girl is an illusion but I am sure I will be able to form a better idea as I read further in to the book.

I was quite surprised (and a little confused) (view spoiler)

message 49: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 18194 comments Just read your spoiler Lisa at the beginning of chapter 17 and your theory sounds like a good one - I had not thought of that - it would certainly explain things. I look forward to finding!

message 50: by Lisa (last edited Dec 14, 2013 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Having now read the entire thing, (view spoiler)

« previous 1