The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Series 8 > Peter Capaldi as The Doctor

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1146 comments Mod
It is a bit too soon right now (before his appearance in the 2013 Christmas Special toward the end) so this is more a holding space for when Series 8 officially starts and we have had a chance to see Peter as the Doctor in at least one or two episodes.

message 2: by Sinda (new)

Sinda Quietus (superwholockedtrekacrossthestars) | 553 comments Mod
I'm ridiculously excited for his Doctor. He seems to be a great actor and this is the first new Doctor I've been around for.

message 3: by Zohal (last edited Nov 29, 2013 01:38PM) (new)

Zohal | 202 comments Sinda wrote: "I'm ridiculously excited for his Doctor. He seems to be a great actor and this is the first new Doctor I've been around for."

Totally agree! :) :D

And this is also the first new Doctor I've been around for. And Eleven is my favourite Doctor. :) :D

message 4: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer Yes, I'm really looking forward to seeing what he'll do with the role.

message 5: by Sylvian (new)

Sylvian (gothic_cantankard) | 45 comments Anyone seen The Thick of It? he totally won't be like that, or won't he ;)

message 6: by Sylvian (new)

Sylvian (gothic_cantankard) | 45 comments I think the Doctor has been young a bit too long now, I think we need an older man :)

GlitchObsession-Eridan's Matesprit (DontlaughIknowwhereyoulive) YES!!!!!!! Let us shout it out to every one from all around!

GALLIFREY FALLS NO MORE!!!

message 8: by Lynne (new)

Lynne Stringer I think that's just trying to bring some sense into what was nothing more than a casting decision. They picked the actor they felt was right at the time!

GlitchObsession-Eridan's Matesprit (DontlaughIknowwhereyoulive) Eh, I REALLY would've liked another young Doctor for the supposedly last Doctor. I think there will be more time for action and less time for romance(which with Tennant, I can admit I was a little jealous)

message 10: by Pamela Su (new)

Pamela Su (thebluebaroness) | 142 comments I'm looking forward to an older doctor. :)

I'm curious to see what his interpretation of the Doctor will be.

GlitchObsession-Eridan's Matesprit (DontlaughIknowwhereyoulive) More actiony and not as much timey wimey!

message 12: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I hope he is as witty as the others. What some may call the younger ones' immaturity, I like. Those little comments and modern pop culture references. For example in watching the episodes again during the week of... I picked up (for the first time) in "The Shakespeare Code" where they dispel the witches by saying "Expeliarmus!". And Matt Smith's nicknaming Clara "Souffle girl".

Lynne wrote: "I think that's just trying to bring some sense into what was nothing more than a casting decision. They picked the actor they felt was right at the time!"

Exactly. But the guilt thing is a nice after-the-fact cover theory.

message 14: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I knew where it was from just couldn't remember the spelling.

message 15: by Novia (new)

Novia (novroz) | 236 comments I am full of eagerness to see Capaldi as the Doctor :)

message 16: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) mimaimi... you were teasing it's okay. No need for being sorry. I am sorry I was too lazy to look up the spelling.

message 17: by Dagny (new)

Dagny Drake | 11 comments I am so excited to see Peter Capaldi as the Doctor in a few weeks! Already I can see comments being made about his awesome eyebrows. Also, (*50TH ANNIVERSARY SPOILER*)

that scene with Tom Baker was AWESOMENESS. Maybe that museum is where all old regenerations go when they die. It seemed to be a showcase purely for the Doctor.

message 18: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 52 comments I can't wait to see him!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I knuuuuuu! :D I'm so excited too! XD

message 20: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I am looking forward to it as a great Christmas Day night present. Like some people are anxious to view certain Christmas movies. This will be a treat for me.

message 21: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 11, 2013 01:32PM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabethnovak) I don't know how I feel about Capaldi being the Doctor, but I'll reserve judgment till I see his acting. I haven't seen him in anything else

50TH ANNIVERSARY SPOILER*

But I can definitely see why they choose someone like him to find/go looking for gallifrey Vs some like Matt.

message 22: by Elysia (new)

Elysia (elysia_rae) I'm actually pretty happy they got him as the Doctor, he's older! I adored the other Doctors but I think it was time we got someone older. (Plus he's a good actor)

I think it would be neat if they had a younger companion for an older Doctor, like, a 14-15 year old maybe so it would just be cutesy fun and friendship, no romance. :)

message 23: by Sylvian (new)

Sylvian (gothic_cantankard) | 45 comments That would be cool. I would be happier if they refrained from the relationship aspect.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait for the doctor to regenerate into Peter

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait either

Sylvian wrote: "That would be cool. I would be happier if they refrained from the relationship aspect."

Agree. I don't like when shows start having main characters who work together get into romantic relationships. If I want to see characters get together I'll watch a Rom-Com or a Romantic Drama, not Sci-fi (or Police Action/Adventure dramas like the NCIS shows).

message 27: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Now I admit I do enjoy a flirting relationship. Not enough that would lead to romance.

Karen B wrote: "Now I admit I do enjoy a flirting relationship. Not enough that would lead to romance."

Exactly that and the friendships that have some tension because one of them "likes" (for lack of a better or stronger word) the other while the second one doesn't, or at least not in a romantic way.

It really doesn't occur to some "shippers" that most places of employment (particularly law enforcement) have strict rules against fraternization between employees. Yeah I know we are talking about fictional characters and fictional settings/worlds but the entertainment universe does try to show real world realism from time to time.

message 29: by Sinda (new)

Sinda Quietus (superwholockedtrekacrossthestars) | 553 comments Mod
I know I barely know him yet, but I think he may become my favourite.

message 30: by CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (last edited Dec 26, 2013 09:56AM) (new)

Have a very good feeling about him, more so than when I first heard about him taking on the role, (oops do I need to do a spoiler? think I will to be safe)(view spoiler)

message 31: by Sylvian (new)

Sylvian (gothic_cantankard) | 45 comments I'll miss Handles :(

Sylvian wrote: "I'll miss Handles :("

I wanted to see how he met Handles and saved him.

message 33: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Well now we have Peter Capaldi's performance to look forward to. It reminds me of so much I have been hearing in the last few weeks ... life moves on and we can either move on with it, or stagnate. I have made up my mind to be just as excited and looking forward to every episode because I am not just a Matt Smith/David Tennant/Christopher Eccleson fan ... I am a Doctor Who fan. And just like my life, Doctor has to change too. Will he redecorate the Tardis, will he have a new Sonic Screwdriver? All that remains to be explored.

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

Karen B wrote: "Well now we have Peter Capaldi's performance to look forward to. It reminds me of so much I have been hearing in the last few weeks ... life moves on and we can either move on with it, or stagnate..."

Yeah me too, I'm not going to give up Doctor Who because the new doctor is older. I AM A DOCTOR WHO FAN AND I WILL STAY WITH IT TILL THE END! Did you like his 1 minute of screen time in the episode?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

from the little bit I was last night, HE'S GOING TO BE GREAT!

message 36: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 52 comments :D

He'll do great! can't wait to se him!

Emelia{Get out. I need to go to my mind palace} {geronimo!} | 97 comments Nobody can deny that he is a great actor and will BE the doctor

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) A new Doctor always takes me a couple episodes to get used to. Smith grew on me pretty quickly, as did Tennant.

Emelia{Get out. I need to go to my mind palace} {geronimo!} | 97 comments Same here, I was very sceptical of Matt Smith at the start but from the first second I was hooked!

message 40: by Heather (new)

Heather (clockwork_wings) | 4 comments I have never liked a new doctor right off the bat, it generally takes me an episode or two to warm up to them. He had meat, "New kidneys...I don't like their color," though.

Emelia{Get out. I need to go to my mind palace} {geronimo!} | 97 comments And he forgot how to fly the tardis- no other doctor has done that after regenerating.

message 42: by Noelle (new)

Noelle Walsh (doctordonna) | 1 comments Peter Capaldi is going to be a great Doctor! I can hardly wait to see how him in his first episode!

Emelia{Get out. I need to go to my mind palace} {geronimo!} | 97 comments Does anyone know when the new series is starting?

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) Probably sometime in the fall.

Emelia{Get out. I need to go to my mind palace} {geronimo!} | 97 comments I'm not sure I can wait that long

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

it is starting autumn 2014

message 47: by Novia (new)

Novia (novroz) | 236 comments It took on episode for me t fall in love with Tennant, and 1 series with Smith...judging from the 1 minute performance of Capaldi, I might like him in one episode too...but I have to for months to prove that.

message 48: by Novia (new)

Novia (novroz) | 236 comments Dear God...so many typo n my previous comment..the agony of typing with mobile phone.

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) I think what made Matt Smith accepted with in the first episode was how funny and charming he was as The Doctor. Not to say that Matt Smith himself isn't charming, he might be, I haven't met him. And Tennant was my first Doctor, so I loved him right away, the first episode I saw was The Runaway Bride, which is why Donna is my favorite Companion. Those two together is pretty fantastic.... and I wish Donna had more than one season with the Doctor.

Marie wrote: "...and I wish Donna had more than one season with the Doctor"

I wish the same thing for Martha. That was during the time when they were apparently only contracting the companions for one season. It might also be that right after Donna's season was the "Specials" season which technically should have been season 5 but was only 5 episodes only half a seasons worth. I think they originally planning for a season long hiatus, but figured out a way to squeeze those 5 episodes into the budget or whatever they claim(ed).

« previous 1