The Dragon Wars discussion

Introduction > Brainstorming for Plots

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Based on the information I've provided about this world as well as the Background Story, does anyone have any idea(s) for how this RP should be run? If so, please voice it here!

message 2: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments After looking at the description and dragon information, I think that perhaps the dragons have been fighting for quite some time. Since they've been so distant for so long, maybe they would be out of contact with how things are going. Something must have broken the truce between the good and evil dragons, because they must've worked together in some way before war breaks out. Unless the evil dragons are being poisoned by something to make them evil??

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Hmmm... that's certainly interesting. So say the dragons have been fighting for awhile, how will our heroes play in? Should we divide people up randomly into groups or should they make their own? And if so, groups of how many adventurers per team? Or no groups at all? I'm kind of leaning towards having a "fixed mission" in mind for the heroes. Thoughts?

message 4: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (last edited Nov 29, 2013 10:41AM) (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Well, I was wondering that perhaps the ravaged, fever-induced man was caught in the crossfire between the dragons, their magic/fire/smoke causing his delirious state and maybe a group of heroes/bad guys was there as well.

I think making their own groups would be better and give people even more reason to seek out characters and find different ways to interact. Plus, having groups happens anyways. People tend to flock together, so why not add a reason to join together as well? But that depends on what is the fixed mission.

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Yep, true. I was thinking that the council in the capital would offer a substantial reward for adventurers who want to follow this delirious man's warnings and go and find out what's happening. It would be incredibly dangerous but well worth their weight in gold....

message 6: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Indeed. I would certainly like to do that, plus it's flexible enough of a plot so that if things detract, it might be incorporated instead. And maybe there are a couple of council men who do not want the dragons to stop fighting because they've been using their positions for corrupt purposes. That gives us a reason to have a group of bad guys as well.

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Yeah! I'm thinking we need something to control random bad guys as per Caitlin's earlier suggestion.

message 8: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments So maybe they get their weight in gold if they stop the heroes/adventurers. Either they form a group or become a mole in the hero group.

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Oooh I like that! I'd need to set up some sort of PMing system then to have players let me know which side they're REALLY on. That way it adds drama and suspense. :P

message 10: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Maybe in the beginning we can have representatives of all of the races gather together to decide what to do about the dragons' warring and depending on what is decided, a group of characters set out to find out more about what is going on while tensions at home rise as certain races began to suspect other races of having something to do with the dragon's wars as instigators or something.

message 11: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 11:35AM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) My thoughts exactly! I was thinking that the Senate would find said group of people to gather information (which is why I'm having them post notices at the Adventurers' guilds) but I had thought of just having the Senate decide in the background (as in they would have reached a decision before the RP begins) since we don't actually have Senate characters (as they'd be a lot higher than level 1 characters LOL). Unless people feel we should play out the races' representatives meeting?

Question though: (and I've asked this before I know, but I think it's really important) should the Senate put "teams" together or have the adventurers forge their own groups?

message 12: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments I say the forge their own groups, but you might know my vote already.

message 13: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Firstly: Who does the Senate consist of? Because what they decide would probably be different than representatives of every race unless every race has a representative in the council.

message 14: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Every race has a representative (even the non-playable races) except the dragons who control the Senate.

message 15: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Though, I suppose the Senate might want to make groups because they would want to make sure there is someone they can trust in the group and have eyes and ears on everyone else.

message 16: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Ok, then I think the Senate should put together teams because otherwise many of the characters would likely never come close to meeting each other.

message 17: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 11:52AM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) That's what I was thinking. Plus they'd need to be "even" in order to make sure they all succeed.... Remember that each member is getting paid a lot. The Senate will want something designed like in LOTR. A team that is capable and that can get the job done (much less idealistic, of course).

message 18: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments A fellowship. Yeah, I suppose it would be better. I guess it would only be the Senate offering such a prize? Or else there could be some freelance groups who decide to take on the task while there is the official groups going on.

message 19: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) What I was also thinking was that a lot of the characters don't have a "reason" to become adventurers (for example mine and Woolfie's dwarves). So, if a race doesn't have a representative on the team, perhaps the race Senate member would send envoys to collect adventurers from their races? Going outside of guilds, in other words.

message 20: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Your dwarves could have a reason to go, I mean your dwarf wants to become the most renowned dwarven warrior and this would surly enhance that resume. Woolfie's dwarf would obviously go in order to watch over her sister.

What I was thinking is a problem is our Eladrin. They don't need money and they don't really have a reason to become adventurers. Or maybe it would be something similar to the dwarves where Tawarthion would want to go and Melethril would follow him.

A lot of the other characters I think might meet the fellowship group on their way to the dragons but they wouldn't stay in the roleplay long, I wouldn't think.

message 21: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) True, my dwarf would want to go, except I was thinking she wouldn't have the option to because she's stuck serving in the army sort of. Tawarthion wants to go (I think he would jump at the chance) and yes, his brother would most likely want to follow him.

Okay, so then, here's another question LOL: how many "fellowships" should we have? I was thinking more than one. But then I'm stuck on the question of, does that mean we send the teams in different directions? Or give them different objectives? If so, how do you qualify for team A or team B, etc? Is there such a thing as team A and team B? If so, why the hell wouldn't all the teams go in one direction? UNLESS... the Senate has no idea where the dragons actually stay (which is very realistic) and so maybe the teams are sent in different directions and their first job is to FIND the location of the dragons?

(I'm blabbing, I know.)

message 22: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Having multiple fellowships would be the best idea and it would make sense if no one knew where the dragons actually lived so, yeah, multiple fellowships sent out in different directions is a good idea.

message 23: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Not knowing the location is realistic, especially they only have the word of a delusional man to point them the directions. I would say searching for the location would be interesting and maybe we should have subplots along their search so it wouldn't be as boring. And after they find the location, they see what's going on perhaps and have to report to the Senate for their decision on their next action.

message 24: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) YES!!! Okay, good, now that that's solved, guys, I'm really excited!!! :D

So: we are in agreement that the teams should be put together by the Senate?

Also, of course, subplots should definitely be a part of the RP.

message 25: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Obviously along the way subplots are going to develop between characters in each of the fellowships, as well as whoever they meet along the roads, so that wouldn't be too hard to come by :)

message 26: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Ok, so now that we have the basic plot down, are we going to roleplay the Senate meeting?

message 27: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments I vote yea as well. ^^

Or you could be like it was for the US where New York annoying abstains all the time back when they were deciding on the declaration. :P

message 28: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 12:26PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) I hate it when people don't vote!!! *Rant over.*

LB, I think we should start the RP once the Senate has reached a decision (to send fellowships--I guess this is the word we're using? Hahaha) because frankly, it'd be quite boring to RP the meeting especially since we know what the outcome will be. :P

So, my next question: who wants to help me put teams together? Or should it be a surprise?

message 29: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) A surprise.

message 30: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Surprise! ^^

message 31: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) LOL. Okay!

And should we start the RP in exactly one week? Give everyone time to finish off their characters as well as time to allow newcomers a chance to get acquainted with the RP?

message 32: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) I don't want to wait a week :(

message 33: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Sure! And did everyone vote on the poll? We have our answer, right?

message 34: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Yes, leveling up is unanimous.

LB, I want to start sooner too LOL. But, what would be fair?

message 35: by Kitsune (new)

Kitsune Rose (kitsunerose) Maybe...wait until the end of this week and see how far things are along?

message 36: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments If we are ready to start, then I say go for it at the end of the week. As long as we have answered most of the hiccups and filled in any gaps if there are any.

message 37: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 05:54PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Sounds good! I'm also gonna make a poll about the forming groups thing because some people don't bother reading everything.

Actually... I don't think I'm gonna make a poll. My mind is pretty much made up about the Senate putting the teams together (it's their idea and their money after all!) But I'll see if people want it as a surprise or not (you guys should vote too even though I know what you think :P).

message 38: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 10, 2013 12:28PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Ji Mei, I just realized I didn't answer your question.

I think it would certainly be interesting to have independent groups forming, say once the RP has started and the fellowships have been sent on their way. It would certainly open the door for good subplots, insubordination as well as evil characters to try and mess stuff up. *tents fingers maliciously* :D

message 39: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments ;D Exactly what I was thinking. Mwahaha! But I think it could also bring in the young, inexperienced characters who might not be considered for the job to join in as well.

message 40: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (last edited Dec 09, 2013 06:24PM) (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Right right. That's another thing: not all characters are in the capital, Tam Brithig, right now. That technically means that they can't be part of the same fellowship as the ones that are and if this is the case, how will the Senate go about forming non-Tam Brithigians into fellowships?

message 41: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Hmm... Maybe they sent out notices to their home cities? Or maybe there are sub-Senates in the other cities that caught on? Or messengers were sent out to the guilds? I don't know really. If we need messengers, Andraste can play a role for that. It might actually help her find Caitlin's character as well, if that's worth anything. :P

message 42: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Sort of. It's similar and what your thinking in message 25 might be better. What I was thinking was how were the other cities run. Did they have a small Senate with their leader being the rep at the capital? Were they like city states or were they were run by a mayor or a steward? It just depends on how the other cities are run.

message 43: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) No, the Senate (which "controls" all of Xi'an) is only in Tam Brithig. The rest of the megacities, towns, villages etc. are run differently depending on race and size. They all however, must abide by laws that the Senate passes so each place can be completely different so long as they don't break the major rules. Does that make sense?

message 44: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Yesh. I just wanted to make sure of that. So envoys to the guilds would be best, I think. :D

message 45: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments Do we want another poll or can we leave this be until after the fellowships have begun?

message 46: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) I don't know, what do you think?

message 47: by Ji Mei , The Dragon Keeper (new)

Ji Mei  (jimei) | 613 comments I say it's a minor detail that doesn't need to be focused on, but now that I look at the question topic, maybe what I think might not matter if everyone else would like to know.

message 48: by Ross (last edited Dec 09, 2013 07:25PM) (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Perhaps words of the draconian unrest has reached most of the strongholds of the various denizens of Xi'an and they are already discussing the matter themselves, when emissaries from Tam Brithig arrive, informing the leaders that they are to send a delegation to the capital for a summit?

Also the strife with the dragons could manifest in portents, perhaps even inconsistent weather patterns, or even dragon attacks?

message 49: by ๖ۣۜSαᴙαh (new)

๖ۣۜSαᴙαh ๖ۣۜMᴄĄłłiƨʈeʀ (inked_chinadoll) Yeah, that's a good idea. I like it. Although... I wonder how fast word would reach people. Certainly megacities would receive word quite fast like dwarven strongholds or elven lands etc.

message 50: by Ross (new)

Ross Bauer (nightlightknight) Hmm perhaps there could be a distinction between the major peoples, namely elves, dwarves and men, we could either use messengers on horseback or homing pigeons to convey the summons.

« previous 1 3