Nordic Noir discussion

Author of the Month > December 2013 - Catch-Up Month

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments so I don't know about you guys, but there were always authors I was interested in trying, but time got away from me and I didn't get anything read it a given month...so December is going to be catch-up month.

Its easy...pick any author that we featured this year as author of the month - maybe it is one you didn't get a chance to read, or someone you want to read something else by them and have fun!

message 2: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments for quick reference - here is the list of authors from 2013:

January - Peter Høeg
February - Karin Alvtegen
March - Mari Jungstedt
April - Viktor Arnar Ingólfsson
May - Åsa Larsson
June - James Thompson
July - Anders Roslund and Borge Hellstrom
August - Lars Kepler
September - Anne Holt
October - Jo Nesbø
November - Thomas Enger

message 3: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments OH THANK GOD!! I need it!!!

message 4: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments haha! me too!! I have 3 potentials already identified and slotted into the schedule (Enger, Ingolfsson and Jungstedt)

message 5: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I STILL have not had a chance to read Jim's book! It keeps yelling to me. Anders- I did and wasn't impressed with it at all!

message 6: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments yeah, Jim's books are yelling at me too...haha

message 7: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments I thought you liked The Beast (Roslund/Hellstrom) - you recommended it to me

message 8: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments No, I meant the one I just read for Book of the Month. Box 21. It was pretty stupid.

message 9: by Gina (last edited Nov 29, 2013 08:24PM) (new)

Gina (cecchig) Happy Holidays --- I have three that I will read.

1. Peter Hoeg - Smilla's Sense of Snow - Statred last night.
2. Peter Thompson - Lucifer's Tears
3. Though not on the list - Jussi Adler-Olsen, - The Keeper of Lost Causes.

message 10: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Blackkit10 wrote: "Happy Holidays --- I have three that I will read.

3. Though not on the list - Jussi Adler-Olsen, - ..."

Is that

Lucifer's Tears by James Thompson? If so GREAT READ!

I am reading Death of a Nightingale for publisher review and gotta say that I am enjoying it. It is very different than the previous ones.

message 11: by Gina (new)

Gina (cecchig) Yes, Naomi, lol, thank you. I did mean James Thompson.

Naomi wrote: "Blackkit10 wrote: "Happy Holidays --- I have three that I will read.

3. Though not on the list - Ju..."

message 12: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments blackkit - if you hold off on JAO - he is going to be a featured author next year again

message 13: by Helen (new)

Helen | 55 comments My favourite author this year was Asa Larsson. I did like "Until thy wrath be passed" However, I did read Jussi Alder Olsen's latest and and Leif Davison who was an earlier Glass Key winner with "Lime's Photograph" Asa Larsson I really enjoyed.Could not get into Peter Hoeg and Thompson.

message 14: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments I agree with you regarding Hoeg. I can't get into his stuff either.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Love this idea. I've been out of the loop a while, so this gives me lots of options for digging in again!

message 16: by Gina (new)

Gina (cecchig) Interesting that both you and Naomi had trouble with Hoeg because I just started Smilla's and on chapter five but also having problems getting into it, and something odd about the writing makes me having to keep going back and re-reading to make sure I'm understanding correctly. A bit disappointed already but will press on.
Thompson I had mixed feelings about and you can see that by the review I wrote however I did say I will give the second in the series a try and have it already.
@ Naomi - I will wait on JAO as you suggested.
Would like you to expand a bit more on Hoeg if you don't mind??

Helen wrote: "My favourite author this year was Asa Larsson. I did like "Until thy wrath be passed" However, I did read Jussi Alder Olsen's latest and and Leif Davison who was an earlier Glass Key winner with "..."

message 17: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Actually Dee suggested you wait. I think he is our AoM for February.

I simply feel that Hoeg is very dry. I have tried several books by him. I also like gritty in my NN and tend to shy away from those that aren't.

message 18: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments She likes dark and twisty :)

message 19: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments The darker and twistier the better! Let's me live vicariously! ;)

message 20: by Gina (new)

Gina (cecchig) Oh I understand that, I'm the same. Have you ever read any Sam Millar??? For me I haven't read anything darker or stranger. So good I eat his books up. The Darkness of Bones....crazy time.

Naomi wrote: "The darker and twistier the better! Let's me live vicariously! ;)"

message 21: by Naomi, the Sanity Check (new)

Naomi (nblackburn) | 932 comments Blackkit10 wrote: "Oh I understand that, I'm the same. Have you ever read any Sam Millar??? For me I haven't read anything darker or stranger. So good I eat his books up. The Darkness of Bones....crazy time.

Naomi w..."

Oh great! Thanks, Blacklit, a new author for me!!! I feel the same way regarding Mark Nykanen not NN but still a great author.

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanthomas) Not on the list of author's, but just finished Karin Fossum Eva's Eye and loved it!

message 23: by Dee, the Insanity Check (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 652 comments i finally got my butt into gear and picked up Burned - its a bit slow so far (i'm only about 60 pgs in) - kind of reminds me of Sara Blaedel but with a journalist as the main protag...so far, the murder appears to be an honor killing