What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > The other, fantastical London

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Martini (last edited Aug 06, 2015 05:06AM) (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments When browsing through my bookshelves, I realised that I have quite a lot of books about London as an Urban Fantasy setting, e.g. London that is inhabited by paranormal creatures, or even better: a fantastical London under ground!

The books I have already read are:
Neverwhere
Un Lun Dun
Something from the Nightside
Midnight Riot
Lycidas
The City's Son
The Amulet of Samarkand and the rest of the series.

I would like to read more books like these - any recommendations? :-)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Mercedes Lackey has a series called Elemental Masters which has fantasy tales, some of which are set in London. The Serpent's Shadow is one of these.

message 3: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 478 comments This isn't a book, but have you played the game Fallen London?

message 4: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Thanks Kate, sounds interesting. I'll definetely check them out.

Sophie, I'm not that much into games. Thanks for the suggestion, anyway.

message 5: by Pamela (last edited Nov 30, 2013 01:32PM) (new)

Pamela Love | 1055 comments Mortal Engines by Philip ReeveMortal Engines

message 6: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 333 comments What about the Felix Castor series starting with The Devil You Know?

It's an urban fantasy that takes the view that all types of paranormal creatures stem from ghosts and/or possession. Zombies are ghosts possessing dead bodies. Werewolves are either human ghosts possessing animals or animal ghosts possessing humans, etc.

message 8: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
The Iron Duke by Meljean Brook is set in a steampunk London of about the Regency period. But it's a radically different city and world from ours. This is a very interesting series of books, and I loved the world building that Ms. Brook does for it.

message 9: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Pamela, "Mortal Engines" sounds really weird, but in a positive way. Great recommendation, thanks!

Melanti, I've stumbled upon this series several times already, but the blurbs did not intrigue me as yet. Thanks for providing a summary of the concept - now I'm hooked!

Kagama, thanks for recommending "The Faerie Ring", sounds interesting.

Ann, I really like steampunk, so a combination of this genre with a London setting sounds like a fun read, thanks.

message 10: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 76 comments How about Soulless by Gail Carriger (adult steampunk - Victorian woman dealing with werewolves and more), The Sweet Scent of Blood by Suzanne McLeod (adult UF - a darker look at magic) or The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson (teen UF - what if the ghost of Jack the Ripper came back). Some, but not all, of Sarah Rees Brennan's Demon's Lexicon series also takes place in London (starts with The Demon's Lexicon - teens dealing with demons and magic).

The Name of the Star is particularly accurate in terms of London geography. I loved all but The Sweet Scent of Blood which I remember enjoying but not enough to continue with the series.

message 11: by Ashley (last edited Jul 22, 2015 05:17PM) (new)

Ashley Ja (ashja99) | 3 comments Mind the Gap by Christopher Golden

A Madness of Angels by Kate Griffin is the first book of one of my favorite series

message 12: by Teri-K (last edited Jul 23, 2015 02:03PM) (new)

Teri-K | 302 comments My first steampunk novel was Kiss of Steel from the London Steampunk series. It's still my favorite, but I liked the whole series. I thought she did a good job making her alternate London fell real.

Also, there's Dodger by Terry Pratchett that I thought was really, really good. And Dodger works in the sewers, so it's very underground. lol

message 14: by Yue (new)

Yue | 137 comments A Darker Shade of Magic has FOUR! Londons XD

message 15: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberlibri) | 158 comments Lady of Devices series is Steampunk London. I'd second Dodger by Pratchett as one you would enjoy. The Map of Time by Felix Palma is about a Fantasy London centring around H.G. Wells and A Study in Silks series is about a 'niece' of Sherlock Holmes with a touch of Supernatural included.

message 16: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1055 comments The Barnaby Grimes novels, starting with Curse of the Night Wolf, by Paul Stewart, are excellent. Curse of the Night Wolf

message 17: by Js700 (new)

Js700 | 107 comments I second Kate Griffin The Midnight Mayor or A Madness of Angels (I forget which one is first). All about the blue electric angels in telephone wires and the circle line never stopping. Pigeons and modern day oracles.

Also, Katie Griffin is same author as Catherine Webb whose Waywalkers series is really good. Not really London Urban Fantasy, but worth a look!

message 18: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6980 comments Mod
Street Magic is the first book in the Black London series. You might try that.

Lady of Devices is another alternate London suggestion.

message 19: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Thanks all of you for the great suggestions! :)

I have already read "Dodger" and enjoyed it, but imo it was historical fiction as it didn't have any fantastical elements, that's why I did not list it above.
Same issue regarding steampunk: As long as there are simply steampunkish elements in a story, there's not enough fantasy in it for the kind of book I'm looking for with this request. I want my London to be inhabited by strange fantastical creatures, or even a completely different secret London underground or hidden behind a mysterious portal!
Sakura Yue Michaelis wrote: "A Darker Shade of Magic has FOUR! Londons XD"
Sounds like a winner! :D

I will definetely check out all your other recommendations, thanks a lot, everybody! :)

message 20: by mj (new)

mj l (valiantmj) I just bought Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times this summer. I started but put it on hold so that I would have time to read a couple library books before they were due. Anyway, I think it's good so far! As far as I know it's a stand-alone.

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments It's the first in a steampunk series, but quite fun The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack

message 22: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2358 comments Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials series, starting with The Golden Compass

message 23: by Shardangood (new)

Shardangood | 2 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman By Neil Gaiman. If you still haven't read it.

message 24: by Viola (new)

Viola Power | 19 comments How about the bartimaus trilogy? I haven't read the whole series but the first one is about a magician in training living in London, and his very sarcastic demon.

message 25: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32230 comments Mod
Link for the Bartimaus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud suggested by Viola - https://www.goodreads.com/series/4083...

message 26: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Thanks for the new suggestions, everybody! :)

I have already read the "Bartimaeus" trilogy but simply forgot to list it, so I have now added it to my OP.
I have also already read the "His Dark Materials" trilogy - was the setting really London? I have a vague feeling that it was Oxford or Cambridge.
"Neverwhere" was one of the books that led me to post this request, so of course I have read it. Thanks anyway!
Spring Heeled Jack is already on one of my wishlists, but thanks for mentioning it. I'll now have to move it up on my to-buy list.

message 27: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (hydrolagus) | 94 comments Jonathan Stroud also has the Lockwood & Co series, where London has a problem with ghosts (as do other cities, but London is where the stories take place).

message 28: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 277 comments Maybe too young for this list, but Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone plus many in the series have bits of the other London. This one has the first trip to the "other" shopping place, and the platform hidden at the train station. Throughout the series, other parallel places emerge, such as the parallel government.

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna (goodreadscomdonna_demeter) | 12 comments Marie Brennan's Onxy Court series. Midnight Never Come #1 Deeds of Men #1.5, In Ashes Lie #2, A Star Shall Fall #3, With Fate Conspire #4. They're set in hidden catacombs beneath London during the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1, but about Queen Invidiana ruler of faerie England.

message 30: by Lindig (new)

Lindig | 51 comments Mary Gentle has a wonderful book set in a fantastical London.The Architecture Of Desire

She's a fabulous writer especially of alternate history. Check her out.

message 31: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Thanks for the new recommendations! I'll check them out - except for the Harry Potter books, as I have already read them, and there isn't enough of the "other" London in them.
I am looking for books in which the fantastical London is the main - if not the only - setting.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (berrynumey) | 48 comments A Darker Shade of Magic, where there are parallel worlds "Londons." High fantasy, late medieval and elemental magic.

message 33: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments "A Darker Shade of Magic" was already suggested, but thanks anyway! :)