Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Where'd You Go, Bernadette
This topic is about Where'd You Go, Bernadette
2014 Books > December 2013

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Penny | 680 comments Mod
This one won the poll for December - wonder what we'll make of it!

message 2: by Val (new) - rated it 2 stars

Val I heard part of an adaption of this on BBC Radio 4. What I heard was funny, but I did not hear enough of it to know the story, so I am looking forward to this one.

☮Karen I just finished this for another group, so looking forward to everyone's comments.

Diane S ☔ I have read as well.. looking forward to the discussion.

message 5: by Ruthie (last edited Dec 07, 2013 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ruthie (ruthiea) | 70 comments I read this and found most of it quite funny - until the end, which I didn't love. Will comment more when more people have read it! If you have ever dealt with moms in a school setting you will probably enjoy this outsider's view of the social dynamics of the school mom world!

☮Karen I have not dealt with those moms, and glad for it. Thought it so funny and appropriate for Bernadette to call them gnats.

Diane S ☔ I agree with you Ruthie about the ending.

message 8: by Val (new) - rated it 2 stars

Val I found the book funny to start with and liked the idea of using email, letters, etc. to tell the story. After a time however, I became less interested in the characters, irritated that the email format seemed to make it almost impossible to get much depth to those characters and stopped finding Bernadette's zaniness funny. My feeling about the ending was 'Oh right, that's tidied everything up then. Meah!'.

☮Karen Val wrote: "I found the book funny to start with and liked the idea of using email, letters, etc. to tell the story. After a time however, I became less interested in the characters, irritated that the email f..."

Have to agree.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
still waiting for my copy to arrive!

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 155 comments Mod
Me too. Apparently there is a giant wait list at the library for this one. (so of course that makes me expect great things of it). It is looking like I won't get to read it in December!

message 12: by Val (new) - rated it 2 stars

Val There was a waiting list here too. I think that was because it was on the radio.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
OK - well those of you who have already read it - dont wait for us to start your discussion!!
Jessica and Val - perhaps we can come back to this one as/when we get our books!

message 14: by Val (new) - rated it 2 stars

Val I have read this one, but did have to wait for several weeks to get it from the library.

Diane S ☔ In the beginning I found this fun and very quirky. That was my first impression. Then I found it strange, quirky still but kind of strange too. How did everyone feel about Bee and that the story was told from her point of view. Also her relationship with her mom?

message 16: by Val (last edited Dec 30, 2013 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Val You can't help but like Bee, from what we get to know of her. I agree with you that the book is fun and quirky, but the problem I had with it is that it never moved beyond that first impression. We do not really get to know Bee or her mother (or anyone else) well enough.
It was a good choice for the busy Christmas period though. It is a time when I like a light fun read to relax with and this one was very promising at the start.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Ok I have finished this one now - a bit different in the writing and I agree the characters seemed to stall. I think it was supposed to be more humourous than I found it - could be the comedy didnt cross the Atlantic! I couldnt really relate to why the husband and the wife allowed themselves to live in such a delapidated state - usually that would be a reflection of depression or poverty - here there wasnt poverty but maybe just depression. I wasnt too convinced though that the mother was depressed rather than just an artistic snob. she looked down on others as 'gnats' , women who were functioning and getting through their lives the best they knew how, and while she's criticising them she's totally detached from what's happening in her life. I found it odd more than anything. I appreciated the skill of the writer in the setting and the 'voice' she managed to get of the daughter but somewhere along the line the plot got lost for me! was it funny to you guys?

☮Karen I thought it was going to be much more of a laugh-out-loud funny than I found it to be. It did make me smile often, but I only laughed once.