Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Lullabies for Little Criminals
This topic is about Lullabies for Little Criminals
Archive Read > december Archive Lullabies for Little Criminals

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Here is our December read !!
I know nothing about this one or about the author so its all new to me!

Ruthie (ruthiea) | 70 comments I loved this book although it was quite disturbing-as any book where a child is in danger would be. It shows you how easy it can be for a child to get into trouble and how hard to save her. This book reads as if Francie, from "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" had not been protected by her mother and put in a better school by her father etc. Baby, the main character, is a brave girl though, and the author pulls the reader in. It was very hard to put this book down. I am from Montreal and often drove through the neighbourhood where this story takes place. While the surrounding areas are gentrifying this part of the city is still a tough place for a child to be growing up without strong parental support. When this book came out there was much speculation about how much of the story was autobiographical and the author addresses this at the end of the book and in a great interview by Ginny Wienhardt -www.fictionwriting.about.com/od/../on... that I found on About.com under her name...
Lullabies for Little Criminals has now made it's way onto many local high school reading lists! While it is a bit rough for younger teens those 15-16 and up might like it.

message 3: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Brought this one home, honestly had never heard of it before and hope I can find time to read it. Your comments Ruthie definitely propel me forward.

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 155 comments Mod
great post, Ruthie!

I look forward to reading it.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
I just got this today - enjoyed your post Ruthie - hope the book is good!!

message 6: by Val (new) - rated it 3 stars

Val The library emailed me to say this is ready for collection, so I will be joining you some time this week.

message 7: by Val (new) - rated it 3 stars

Val I have finished reading this book now.
Several reviewers have said they found the story either depressing or heart-breaking. It is, but I think the point of the book is to explore how Baby sees the world, what she regards as normal, not to write a fictional 'misery memoir'.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
I too finished this on holiday (Tenerife - 28 degrees lovely!!) I read it quickly and wanted to find out how it ended. I can understand why some may see it as depressing Val - I think the author did a great job in getting the voice of a 12 year old - but I did find it excruciating the situation she was in and that no one really helped her out. It reminded me a bit of White Oleander which I read a long time ago but followed kids in care in the US. I also desperately wanted a rescuer - I suppose there is some hope in the ending but so much damage had been done by then. As a mother of a girl of a similar age I cringed so many times - but I agree with your commment Val - we are being asked to view this awful world through Baby's eyes and she has no way out at least that she felt she could take.

I am starting this tonight! (finally!!)

I finished the book early this morning (at around 4 AM, heh) and overall I enjoyed it. It definitely had a difficult subject matter but I still found it very readable.

I can't imagine experiencing what Baby went through at age 12 or 13. It is so far outside my experience. The author did a good job at showing us the world through Baby's eyes. There was never anything judgmental in the narrative, yet we did feel when Baby felt shame, confusion, fear or loneliness.

Penny | 680 comments Mod
wow Jessica - it must have kept you going to want to read it so fast!! I immediately read some light chick-lit simply to get away from all the nastiness in this book!!! I think you are right about the author not showing judgement and I hadnt thought of it that way. That's probably one of the best aspects of the writing is that she clearly showed us Baby's world and her response to it. Still found it awful though!!