I Love Buying Free eBooks discussion

eBook Readers on your PC or Laptop

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark Goodwin (moonfish) | 59 comments Mod
For those of you who may not know about Calibre - it is an astonishing Free Software that allows you to read eBooks in many formats. Not only will it do that, but it will modify from one format to another. It has about 100 bells and whsitles - I haven't figure them all out yet but it is truly a great piece of software. It also works in tandem with Goodreads. How sweet it is ... you can get this program at http://calibre-ebook.com/

message 2: by James (new)

James Ward (jamesward) | 11 comments Don't forget, you can dowload the Kindle to your laptop entirely free of charge.

Where? If you go to Amazon's homepage and click on "shop by department" (top left). Then croll down to Kindle. a menu should pop up with "Free Kindle Reading Apps" on. You can download it for PC, Apple, iPhone, Android, etc.

message 3: by James (new)

James Ward (jamesward) | 11 comments Obviously, I guess most people already know this!

message 4: by Mark (new)

There are always a few that don't ...

message 5: by Nak Attack (new)

Nak Attack | 3 comments I love calibre and the kindle app. There's also Adobe Digital Editions. I think it only reads epubs. Not sure if that program is free or if I got it in my adobe bundle but its worth checking out.

message 6: by James (last edited Dec 10, 2013 07:52AM) (new)

James Ward (jamesward) | 11 comments Ann wrote: "I love calibre and the kindle app. There's also Adobe Digital Editions. I think it only reads epubs. Not sure if that program is free or if I got it in my adobe bundle but its worth checking out."

I've got the Adobe reader too. Beware, however, of a message that pops up when you switch on your computer, asking if you want to install an Adobe update.

If you click on "okay" (as I once did), it installs a crash-your-computer-and-have-to-get-someone-in-to-fix-it-for-hundreds-of-pounds virus. It looks quite authentic. If you just click on the cross in the top right corner, it goes away. If in doubt, switch off your computer.

message 7: by Mark (new)

Ouch ... thanks for the info ...

message 8: by Nak Attack (new)

Nak Attack | 3 comments J.J. wrote: "I've got the Adobe reader too. Beware, however, of a message that pops up when you switch on your computer, asking if you want to install an Adobe update."

Ah yes the infamous Flash update for Adobe. That's a really nasty one. If you're getting that pop up I'd recommend cleaning out your cookies (helps but doesn't stop it, especially if you're browsing the net). And NEVER update your adobe through a pop up. Only update through the official adobe website and you can check there if your flash is up to date.