GOOD REVIEWS discussion

D. Aswini
This topic is about D. Aswini
Second Novel > YA Fantasy,Paranormal and Horror

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments My fantasy ebook Saffron - The Blood Swan published by "Books to go now" publisher, Seattle, Washington, US.

Here's the Amazon link,

http://www.amazon.com/Saffron-The-Blo...

Here's the link for the first chapter,

http://aswiniauthor.blogspot.in/p/blo...

message 2: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Second chapter from the book Saffron - The Blood Swan updated. Here's the link,

message 3: by D. (last edited Dec 12, 2013 08:50AM) (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Saffron - The Blood Swan  by D. Aswini

Prologue

Missing someone I loved was a pain I never knew before my grandma's death. I could not have imagined the scary stories that came true. Life offers you a job to do that everyone should finish before their life ends.

Love has an extreme capacity to offer everything we need but not without extreme pain. Anyone who tastes the sweet fruit -joy of love, deserves to taste the bitter fruit -pain of separation. Nobody should taste the bitter before the sweet. It means not being able to feel the pain of separation before enjoying the joy of love.

I deserved to taste both fruits from my handsome guy and my caring brother. Perhaps, I wouldn't have even touched these fruits, if I'd stayed away from them.

The Half Sun

One week ago my parents insisted that I stay with them but I didn't want to. But two days ago, I came to beautiful Florence, Oregon, a nice rainy place but with a wonderful seashore.

The sky was cloudy, and a slight breeze stirred the air as I walked along the almost deserted road. I didn't think about where I was going because of thoughts of my grandma going through my head. She is gone but her affectionate words still stood out in my mind. Missing someone I loved was a pain I'd never experienced until she died.

It was a stolid, dull gray light-the familiar light of evening and the breeze before the rain blew on me constantly. It was hard for me to walk, as the air was fresh and very cold and my hands trembled which forced me to stick them inside my coat to keep warm.

"Hurry Jesse, hurry, . Move faster. It's not enough. Danger is near. Hurry... "

someone whispered in my ears. I looked around, afraid of the whispering voice. 

The darkness swallowed the sunless evening and slowly moved toward a starless night. My trembling legs wouldn't stop my faltering walk.

Suddenly a girl jumped from a tree. She had long, black, curly hair, and wore a white dress that hid her feet. Her intense eyes looked at me in a frenzy. Her burning eyes could only be described as a red sun-dreadful to glance at even once. She looked very beautiful but her fang made me shudder when I realized she was a vampire, and her ferocious look frightened me.

I jerked back in fear with no way to sneak away. My heart beats very fast, and I couldn't shout with my dry throat. I knew that was futile anyway. I froze like a statue. There wasn't anyone to rescue me from the blood sucker. I couldn't budge an inch as she took another step forward, She'd just catch me if I tried to run away.

I searched for the whispering one but I couldn't find it. I could only feel the cold breeze.

"You look very palatable, and delicious to me," the vampire said in a whisper, sniffing my scent. "I wonder, should I keep you to myself or share you with my friends?" she asked me.

I squirmed, and closed my eyes in fear when she licked my cheek. I felt the saliva of the vampire on my cheek, and I couldn't turn away from her. I opened my eyes.

"Taste." She smiled viciously, "You are going to succumb to me." A hungry expression crossed her face, her lips parted, exposing the fangs to bite me. Then I believed the fable my grandma told me.

Abruptly, a heavy stream of light focused on us. I was scared. The vampire shrieked, and howled and her voice echoed the sound of her howl.

The vampire flew toward the forest, and disappeared from my vision. I was right; it was difficult for the vampire to hunt in the heavy stream of light.

The light began to shine on me, so I hastily ran from there. I ran but the light followed me all the way home. I couldn't turn back to look at the bright light and I felt parched when I tried to call out to my mom. There was a strong pain in my throat.

I tried to open the door, but I couldn't. The door opened automatically. I didn't have time to think about the door, as I rushed inside. It was dark inside the house and I groped for the lock on the door. Finally, I latched it and switched on the lamp. Again, it was a shock to me because nobody was there.

I fell to my knees, and trembled and a reeling sensation in my head annoyed me. I stepped forward, terrified.

I ran upstairs to my room and leaned against the bed. My eyes closed and I began to relax.  The darkness surrounded me when I closed my eyes, but I was afraid to turn off the lights.

Someone knocked at the door of my room.

I woke up, afraid, . It took some time to realize that it was only a dream. I would not have dreamt about a vampire. A few years back, I'd dreamed about a fairy. She treated me as a child, as a friend but oddly the dress she wore was the same as the vampire's.

I don't usually read fairytales or fantasy stories. I like to watch horror movies alone, and love to listen to music late at night without any interruption.

I wondered if it was possible to dream about a fairy and a vampire? It seemed mysterious, and absurd to me.

My eyes wandered over to the clock on the wall as I wasn't familiar with the room. It wasn't my dad, Reynold's, or my mom, Maria's house.  It was our ancestor's property, so in their memory, my dad decided to make it their permanent residence. About four to five servants worked there. My mom, changed a lot in the house according to modern trends, but the ancient sculptures were kept some places, which looked nice.

I heard the knocking sound at my door again. and forced myself to sit up. I weakly brushed my hair out of my face as dizziness overtook me. The door opened and I saw that it was my mom. I blinked, trying to recall what had occurred the night before, . I felt numb until she tapped my shoulder. Her dazzling eyes gazed at me in suspicion as if she recognized the dread on my face. Everybody would taunt me if I revealed my dream to her, I realized. That persuaded me not to tell her about my vampire dream.

She creased her forehead when she saw me blink, my eyes. She smiled. "Hey dear," she said when she hugged me.

With a deep breath, I said, "Hey." , It took a few minutes for my mind to return from the nightmare.

"Is everything okay?" she asked as she embraced me.

After a few seconds pause I said, "Yeah," and moaned.

"Get up Jesse. Your dad is waiting for you, " she demanded.

Without asking her any questions, I nodded and said, "Yes.3‍I refreshed myself and went down to see him. Servants were busy at their work. I knew three of them who had worked there for over ten years, but two were new.

My dad sat on the sofa with the newspaper in his hands and smiled once when he saw me.

"Hey dad," I said, irritated, as the nightmare still bothered me.

"Hi," ." He gestured for me to have a seat opposite him. He showed me the details about my new school, as he'd already completed all the formalities. Then, he returned to read the rest of the paper.

My brother arrived and sat next to me with a gentle smile.

"Hey," I said and wouldn't meet his eyes.

"You aren't like this, Jesse. I know you don't want to stay with us." His eyes grew very soft. "But you must accept the fact." ,"  Rick said, laying his arm across my shoulder.

"I'm fine."," I replied.

"That's nice." He looked at me with concern. "Why don't we just hang out this evening?" He took his arm back and leaned back on the sofa. "It's an Indian restaurant run by my friend." ," he continued in a hushed voice, and said he wanted to take me out to change my unhappy mood.

"Umm..." I nodded reluctantly, staring at the floor.

One of the new servants interrupted us, and we all snapped our heads up at once to listen her, as she told us breakfast was ready. Dad nodded, folding up his newspaper .

When we walked to the table. ,  Mom was waiting for us, getting ready to go to work.

"Are you going to the office?" Rick hissed at Mom grimly.

"Yes, but I'll be back before your dad," she reminded him. I could tell by the tone of her voice and her look in her eyes that Mom was worried at the thought of leaving me alone.

"Why don't you extend your leave for two more days?" Rick demanded. "She'll feel alone in your absence." ," he accused her in exasperation.

I ate in silence because I couldn't think of a way to protest Rick's request for me.

"No." ," Dad said, "you must come in today." "There is work that needs to be done."  He shoved his chair out to leave the table.

My mom bowed her head, trying to appear casual.

Rick frowned at him in silence. We had been afraid of Dad since childhood, and still we wouldn't cross Dad.

Not meeting my eyes, Mom mumbled, "I'm helpless.", but her eyes wandered to my dad.

With a small smile I shrugged and whispered, "That's okay, forget it. Don't worry about me, I'm fine." Rick's eyes widened at my unexpected reply. I wanted to comfort Rick, but couldn't.

"This isn't anything new to me." He paused. "Try to live with it." Rick's voice was a diatribe that I could see hurt my mom.

We finished our breakfast and parted. Dad and Mom to work, and Rick somewhere else. The servants were busy with their works, and I felt alone.

I spent the next seven hours looking at everything in the house, then went upstairs. ,  to my room, exhausted, and listened music.

message 4: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments First Sight of the Restaurant

Slowly the day passed, as I listened to the music in my room. I didn't want to hurt my brother's feelings, so I got ready to go out with him.  Soon, he arrived.

"Nice to see you like this, Jesse,"  Rick told me, happy.

I turned to him, . "Shall we go?" I asked, my voice hoarse.

He smiled broadly. "Sure, sure, come." He nodded.

I reluctantly followed him in silence, We got in the car and Rick started the engine, and then drove me to the restaurant.

When we arrived, the restaurant was crowded. As soon as we entered, a handsome guy wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans came near us with a beautiful smile. His eyes were crystal green. I think Rick already told him we would be there as he seemed to be waiting for our arrival. He seemed very welcoming. as he shook my brother's hand. Then he gently tapped Rick on the arm and said, "I thought that you forgot me." His smile was huge.

A surprised smile played across his face when he saw me. I couldn't see his beautiful, dazzling eyes once again as he stood next to us.

"This is my sister, Jesse." ," said Rick without answering his question.

"Hey. I'm Fredrick." ," he spoke animatedly.

With a swift glance I mumbled, "Hey." I couldn't make my voice any louder, I was so awed by his good looks.

We walked to our table, my eyes scanning everything and Fredrick gestured for us to take our seats. Rick took his seat on my right; Fredrick took one cross from me. I felt attracted to his dazzling crystal green eyes, and told myself to stop looking at them, but it was hard not to. A waiter arrived and asked what we wanted to eat. and Rick ordered my favorite dishes.

Ricks's phone rang and he hesitated to take the call in front of us. He excused himself for a minute, and left us. I felt uncomfortable with the silence .

"You looked worried." ," Fredrick said in a quiet voice.

I sat in silence for a minute without answering him, and just when I decided to speak, the waiter brought our food.

Fredrick gasped at all the food that covered the table. "I think this must be all your favorites.3†

Without looking at him directly, I asked, "How do you know?"

He shrugged with affected astonishment. "I know Rick's taste." He smiled.

I was dazed for a minute. I winked once, meeting his eyes directly. I saw his beautiful smile again. My mind fluttered and I raised my head slowly to meet his face directly but looked instead at his right side.

A girl came up to Fredrick and whispered, "I can smell the-" She abruptly stopped talking to him when she saw me listening, to their conversation. She whispered the rest directly into Fredrick's ear. I couldn't hear her what she said, but could only think that something terrible was about to happen.

Fredrick grimaced, frowned at her once and turned away to stare, his eyes focusing on something outside the window, which I couldn't see. Fredrick looked unhappy. The girl was still whispering something, and I wanted to ask them about it, but I controlled myself.

Then Fredrick shoved his chair away and stood up. The girl pressed his shoulder, and forced him to sit back down, then gestured for him to watch me.

I lowered my voice. "Is anything wrong?".

Fredrick shook his head, and replied, "Nothing." He paused. "Everything is fine." ," he answered loudly but looked embarrassed and smiled serenely to hide his discomfort. 

Fredrick didn't say a single word to Rick when he came back after disconnecting his call, but looked at him for few minutes. I felt there was something between them that they wanted to hide from me.

"You didn't start to eat Jesse!" ?" Rick asked me, glancing at the dishes on our table.

"No." ,". " I was waiting for you," I answered .

Rick seemed to be trying his best to be casual with us even though he looked depressed. We ate our dinner in silence and then left the restaurant and walked out to our car. Rick signed to Fredrick to call him by phone. Then Fredrick looked at me.

"Bye," I murmured. It was really hard to say goodbye to him.

"Bye. See you again sometime," he said with a tranquil smile. His words made me feel somewhat better about leaving him.

We got in and Rick started the engine.

After a few miles of silence, Rick spoke. "You didn't tell me anything about the dinner or Fredrick."

"Nice,"  I answered in a single word and turned to stare outside.

"Nice,"  he repeated, in derision.

"You said it was an Indian restaurant, but they offer a variety of foods." My voice expressed my eagerness to know about the restaurant. I gazed at Rick, waiting for his response.

"Uh, yes, it's famous for Indian food. Fredrick's mom, is from an Indian reservation, and designed the restaurant, but now she is gone," he said.

I turned to him to ask more questions. "Do you like Indian food?" I asked, raising my eyebrows in suspicion.

"Yes, but only since I got to know Fredrick." He paused. "Usually I have my dinner three times a week with him." His face brightened while talking about Fredrick. "It helps me to feel better about everything, but I didn't see him for two weeks." ," Rick said in a disappointed voice.

We arrived home quickly since the restaurant was just two or three miles drive from our home. Mom opened the door when I rang the bell. It was a pleasant surprise. She'd gotten home from the office before Dad.

"Did she enjoy the dinner, Rick?"  she asked him.

"Yes but not as much we thought," he answered huskily.

Rick's explanation disgusted her. He went to his room to avoid her next question.

She walked over to me with a light smile but her eyes expressed some feeling I couldn't read.

"Jesse we all know that you are unhappy and don't wish to stay with us. But soon, you'll like this place." She touched my shoulder, turned me toward her and pressed her lips to my forehead. I bowed my head with a small smile. "Trust me dear," she whispered. I felt her hot breath on my face.

"You know Fredrick?" I asked.

She stood staring at me quietly for a moment. "Yes, he's a nice guy and our family must thank him forever. She spoke quickly. I felt surprised because I knew my mom.  She didn't praise anyone easily. She continued to speak calmly and I could feel the difference in her voice.

"Two years ago, your dad had an accident on a late night drive." She paused for few seconds; . "He struggled there for more than half an hour." The pain in her voice was almost tangible. "No one was there to help him." She groaned and I could see panic in her eyes.

My eyes felt frozen open, as though I couldn't even blink them. I looked up, trying to focus on her.

"Fredrick returned back home after purchasing some materials for his restaurant and saw Reynold struggling for help on the roadside. He took your father to hospital and told Rick." She tried to hide tears in her eyes by turning her head, but she couldn't control the overwhelming tears.

We stood in silence for few minutes. He rescued my dad; he is alive because of Fredrick. I thought about it for awhile until my mom touched my shoulder. That I hadn't spoken much when I met Fredrick this evening, made me feel guilty.

Mom continued slowly. "More than a week he was in the hospital because of heavy blood loss." Her voice had a bitter edge. "Fredrick didn't miss a day visiting Reynold in the hospital." She paused. "He is very kind to everyone - truly a nice guy." She added fervently. "He undertook the restaurant run by his father three years ago."

I could feel the deepness of the pain in her voice, but I'm angry now. "You didn't tell me about this accident until I asked about Fredrick."

"Why don't you remember that he is my dad?"  I shouted, furious, because they didn't tell me anything about the accident that happened two years ago and it's hard for me to accept.

"No dear," Mom interrupted. "You suffered a severe flu at that time. We thought it would be okay to hide it from you." She paused. "Your granny knew about it."

She tried to console me but I wouldn't let her. For a moment, I thought the reason she gave me wasn't acceptable.

"I am sorry Jesse." ," Mom apologized. "Please go to bed, now. You need some rest and tomorrow is your first day of class in your new school." ," she added reluctantly. She'd interrupted my thoughts and apologized once, which was pathetic. I nodded to comfort my mom since she looked worried.

Yes, she was right. The next day would be a new experience for me and I struggled with new things. Thinking about my new school, I opened the door to my room. It was too dark and I groped for the switch to turn on the light as quick as I could.

Abruptly, I remembered the nightmare with the vampire and it frightened me. I would have to explore the dreadful dream that made me scream in horror. I hesitated to go to sleep, afraid because I couldn't keep it from my mind and the thought of the vampire's face made me shudder. I couldn't forget her ferocious look, but I tried to forget it for now. I shrugged to felt the reality but it was hard for me to close my eyes. I fidgeted on the bed.

message 5: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Second chapter from the book Saffron - The Blood Swan posted and continue reading third chapter here,

message 6: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Welcome to join in the discussion topic about the book Saffron - The Blood Swan in the name "Vampires, Werewolves and Magic" started by Gayathri Baskaran.

message 7: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Hi, I just wanted to let you all know that Saffron - The Blood Swan book will be available at Amazon for .99 from 1/27 - 2/2.  Amazon link,

http://www.amazon.com/Saffron-The-Blo...

message 8: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Happy New Year :D

message 9: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Now its time to read for those who marked my book "Saffron - The Blood Swan" to read. You can receive this book by sending your email id to aswiniauthor@gmail.com 

message 10: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Merry Christmas To All ♥

message 12: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 17

https://aswiniauthor.blogspot.com/202...

message 13: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 18

message 14: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 19

message 15: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 20

message 16: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 21

message 17: by Lee (new)

Lee Hidalgo | 9 comments Hello ,
My name is Lee Hidalgo, and I’m reaching out to you because I would like to interview you and promote your book on my podcast show. If you are interested, please reach out to me and let me know either way. Thank you for your time and cooperation in this request.

Sincerely
Lee Hidalgo
http://authorleehidalgo.net/dark-plac...

message 18: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Lee wrote: "Hello ,
My name is Lee Hidalgo, and I’m reaching out to you because I would like to interview you and promote your book on my podcast show. If you are interested, please reach out to me and let m..."

Thanks for your request.

message 19: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 22

message 20: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy page 23

message 21: by D. (new)

D. Aswini (aswiniauthor) | 21 comments Dark Forest Fairy Mercy 1st chapter