Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Archive > What is your passion?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (last edited Nov 28, 2013 07:39PM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments We all have passions that we can spend hours doing, without any recompense. What is yours? Do you have just one or are there more than one? Tell us about it.

message 2: by Alison (new)

Alison Bliss (alisonbliss) | 48 comments My passion is writing. In fact, I just signed a two-book deal with Entangled Publishing for my debut novel, RULES OF PROTECTION. It will be released Summer 2014. It is a sexy, humorous contemporary romance with a Texas setting. Think cowboys, y'all. :)

Great question, Dee! And I want to know your passion, as well!!!

message 3: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments My passion is beading. I started out with stringing necklaces, earrings, and bracelets over fifteen years ago and move on to beadweaving about four years ago. I'm still working on learning (much less mastering) the different stitches, I take classes and attend the yearly Beadfest and Bead and Button Shows, buy books (of course) and more beads (never enough), and have started designing small bead embroidered pieces. Obsessed? Not much. And I thought knitting was bad. At least my bead stash doesn't take up as much room as my yarn stash (yet).

message 4: by LeiCa (new)

LeiCa | 1081 comments Alison wrote: "My passion is writing. In fact, I just signed a two-book deal with Entangled Publishing for my debut novel, RULES OF PROTECTION. It will be released Summer 2014. It is a sexy, humorous contempora..."

Wow that's really great, congratulations. I'm looking forward to reading it when it's out :)

message 5: by LeiCa (new)

LeiCa | 1081 comments Now this is a little embarrassing but my passion is watching NCIS (and reading of course).. Hmmm, i think i have to make my life a little more interesting :p

message 6: by Alison (new)

Alison Bliss (alisonbliss) | 48 comments @Sandra - Beading sounds like fun! :)

@LeiCa - Thanks so much! And don't worry about being embarrassed...I am hopelessly addicted to reality TV. LOL

message 7: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (oofie) | 12 comments I agree that Beading sounds fun!!! My passion would be in the work I do (blessed to work in a field I love...sales)!....Other than that it's probably reading!

message 8: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments Beading is fun-and the colors and textures! And I can't forget the crystals-especially the Swarovskis. Walking into a bead store is every bit as bad as walking into a knitting or a book store, at least it is for me. I never come out empty handed. My husband is resigned to finding odd skeins of yarn and beads that have escaped the beading table and stacks of books and magazines all over the house.

message 9: by LeiCa (new)

LeiCa | 1081 comments oh i love working with stones! I tried making bracelets and earrings using gemstone pebbles before and i loved it! My eyes and fingers hurt after awhile though plus it was an expensive hobby for a single mom, so i stopped. I wasn't artistic enough to make a living out if it, lol :)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Hey Sandra, your beading sounds so interesting. My grandmother use to do all kinds of what she called fancy stitches. She use to sew, crochet, quilt, embroider, tat, you name it and she could probably do it. I regret to say that even though I lived next door to her for years, she never taught me how to do it. My mother was never interested in that kind of stuff.

Anyway, since you are in the know what is so special about Swarovskis crystals?

message 11: by Dee (last edited Nov 30, 2013 10:56AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments After thinking about it I would have to say that my passion has everything to do with reading. I usually read or listen to a book a day, even when I was working a full-time job and going to college full-time I managed to read, for fun, about 2 or 3 books a week. I volunteer at the library, especially with the READ program. As I have said in the past that is where my Yorkie, Stewart Little (Stewie) listens to children read to them. It helps with their reading and public speaking skills. I also moderate a couple of different groups, which I usually spend a few hours on.

Before my church stopped putting on plays I also use to act. I, also, use to teach, and I love to write.

My other passion is my dog, Stewie.

message 12: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 149 comments Swarovskis are made with a pretty high lead content which makes the glass sparkle. Then the facets add more sparkle. The company is well known for the consistency and the colors of their beads. There are all kinds of fancy finishes and shapes available, too. They're not the only crystals I use (if it's shiny and the color catches my eye, I'll use it), but they're definitely favorites in the beading world. The bead show vendors carrying the largest variety of shapes, sizes, colors, and finishes always have crowded booths at the shows. And most of the instructors/designers use them in their designs and patterns.

message 13: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Thanks, Sandra. A few years ago, my girlfriend and I were at Macy's. There was a necklace that was sitting on one of the counter displays. It was really beautiful. The sales clerk said the necklace was Swarovskis crystals and it was on sale for only $350.00. We liked to had a cow! We decided Swarovski could keep his crystals. I couldn't believe that they had intentionally left this necklace on a display on the counter. That was the first time I had ever heard of Swarovskis.

message 14: by Dee (last edited Apr 23, 2014 01:43AM) (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Ruth wrote: "I agree that Beading sounds fun!!! My passion would be in the work I do (blessed to work in a field I love...sales)!....Other than that it's probably reading!"

Loving sales...my dad and brother were like that. I swear they could sale condoms to the pope. My dad got both my mother and me into real estate, and we joked we always thought I hope they're not at home. I hope they're not at home.

Today, I have the confidence and the discipline to do to make it work, but ...

message 15: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments Getting myself to the nearest beach or amusment parks or zoos or a good motorcycle ride-ah heaven.

message 16: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 3 comments Good question...what IS my passion? I'm almost 40 and I am still trying to find the real me, who am I and what makes me happy outside of being wife and mother. In the mean time, I am a voracious reader, often getting swept away to another place and live vicariously through the characters I read about. Is that sad or what?

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Stacey wrote: "Good question...what IS my passion? I'm almost 40 and I am still trying to find the real me, who am I and what makes me happy outside of being wife and mother. In the mean time, I am a voracious re..."

I am in my 60s (gosh I'm getting OLD) and I still have to think about what my passions are. I went to the Desert Botanical Gardens a few days ago. It was so awesome, and I realized I LOVE nature. I wish I lived near water, but the desert is still really interesting. I also love animals. I love watching how wild animals act. We recently had a hummingbird make a nest in a tree near my kitchen window. It was the coolest thing watching the whole nature thing.

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Besides reading after reading Wesley the Owl animals are another passion of mine. I don't necessarily mean owning them, but learning about them and watching them.

message 19: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) | 598 comments I forgot to put what is probably my all time favorite passion which is dancing.
I don`t think of there being a real me-I think I`m more of a mishmash of anything that really intensley gets my attention at the time.

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Kathy Anne wrote: "I forgot to put what is probably my all time favorite passion which is dancing.
I don`t think of there being a real me-I think I`m more of a mishmash of anything that really intensley gets my atten..."

Isn't that the way it is with all of us? I know it is with me.