Young Adult Book Blogger Club discussion

Ruby Red (Precious Stone Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Ruby Red
December 2013 > Overall thoughts & impression (spoilers discussion when you're finished)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bec (booktineus) (booktineus) | 129 comments Mod
Discuss whatever you want about the book. What you loved, what you hated, what made you cry so much you ruined your book?

HOW CAN IT END THERE

WHERE IS THE REST OF THE STORY

WHERE ARE MY ANSWERS???

(I am kind of relieved I'm reading this now the trilogy is finished & all out)

Overall this was really fun though. It sort of reminds me of Hex Hall (writing/character wise). There could have been so much more time travel though hashfsdkf

Sophie | 25 comments I know. It didn't really clear anything up. I still liked the book but it seemed like they didn't do that much during it, there was a lot of build up to the idea before anything actually happened

It was good. It seemed very much like an introductory book. I want to see where the plot goes in Sapphire Blue

Sophie | 25 comments Yeah I agree. Hope sapphire blue comes before I have to travel down to the last horse show of the year then I can probably manage to read the entire book while travelling

Nara (greengp01) Definitely seemed like an introductory book. Also was it just me or did the writing style kinda seem like it was almost Middle Grade rather than YA?

Thank god I had enough foresight to borrow the other two books from the library as well haha.

message 7: by Bec (booktineus) (last edited Dec 12, 2013 01:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

It reads like it was directed at a younger YA audience (like I feel Hex Hall was). I wonder how much of that had to do with translation though.

Ah, lucky. Pretty sure my stupid library doesn't have them :/ (their collection is terrible)

Sophie | 25 comments I think its the translation, german tends to be alot more formal language once you translate it. When I studied it there was also a large difference in how teenagers in germany and teenagers in england act, well I always thought so anyways

Kate (ficthoughts) | 14 comments Bec wrote: "It reads like it was directed at a younger YA audience (like I feel Hex Hall was). I wonder how much of that had to do with translation though."

That's what I was wondering too. It did feel young but the characters didn't - if that makes sense.

I think I was a little disappointed with this one. I'll give it 3.5 stars. A lot of great backstory and set up but nothing much in terms of a climax and whatnot by itself.

I reckon it'll get better in book 2. Everything has been introduced now so surely we'll get to more exciting answers and more time travel and what not

message 11: by Nara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nara (greengp01) I did a total binge of the series haha and book two is definitely better than book one! There are still quite a lot of questions left unanswered in book two, but everything is really neatly tied up in book three, which is probs my favourite. Totally didn't expect the ending though!

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea So I DNFed 100 pages in. I know you guys loved it, but I found Gwen to be annoying and I just didn't care

I would say 30% of me wanted to keep going, but that 70% was too strong. I wanted to really like it too!

I am scared and excited at the sound of the surprising ending. Why doesn't my library have these books?!

Aw, that's too bad Andrea :( Hopefully our next book is a little more enjoyable for you.

message 14: by Nara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nara (greengp01) aw can you order the book in from other libraries? SA has this one card network so you can reserve books from any library and pick them up at your local one.

@Andrea: I have to agree, Gwen was pretty annoying haha. To be honest, she doesn't really get much better in later books.

No clue. Ours is a big network with many libraries, but only in the Brisbane city council area. And I'm not another member of other council libraries :(

message 16: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (ficthoughts) | 14 comments Haha that's the library I belong to. So I bet that if there is a copy you'll beat me to it!

I have to admit - I can't wait to see what happens next. Especially with James the ghost. For some reason I liked his character.

message 17: by Bec (booktineus) (last edited Dec 23, 2013 06:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

They don't have any copies :'(

YES! He was so funny. It'd be awesome if she time travelled back and met him when she was alive.

Laura AP (0nlybyl4ur4) | 28 comments I just finished! i do agree with the middle grade comments (although i love the middle grade genre and writing style, so that wasn't a downside for me).
I liked Gwen a lot and I loved her friendship with Lesley - so rare to see authentic friendship in YA this days.
but yes, overall this was. very introductory book, and now I'm just dying to get to the other two. I also really like Lucy and Paul for some reason, and I want to see the storyline evolve. overall i gave it 4 stars

YES LESLEY! She was fantastic and hilarious and deserved more page time.

There is so much going on with Lucy and Paul and I eventually want to ALL the reasons behind why they run away. They're also interesting choices for "villains"

message 20: by Kate (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kate (ficthoughts) | 14 comments They can't be the true villains - can they? I like the mystery surrounding them but I think that Falk (I think that's his name. I'm TERRIBLE with character names. I usually write myself a cheat sheet and put it inside the cover just to keep reminding me) is going to be pretty bad. For me he's sort of untrustworthy. He's too swarve and overwhelmingly blah that I just don't think he's as upfront as he wants to appear.

Yep... I'm terrible with words.

That said - haven't read Sapphire Blue yet so I may be completely off base.

Hence "villains" I suspect the actual Order or whatever are the villains (or at least the guy who founded it and the others just don't know any different). His powers creeped me out. He's a shady man. This could be Faulk I'm talking about... I am terrible with characters also (especially when I read a book in a day like I did with Ruby Red...)

I think Lucy and Paul know the truth and are trying to stop the evil people, but since they're the minority/everyone's brain washed by the order everyone is convinced they're bad.

Yeah, this is just speculations on my part too. Though it just feels like it's going to go in the direction we're thinking