Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Themed Months

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Once again a wonderful idea by Nic - themed months, where the nominations for the month must fit the theme e.g. classic books = books more than 50 years old.

What do you think of this? How often would you like to see themed months?

Nic also suggested that every quarter of the year, we have a moderator's choice book, meaning that every three months there'd be three books per month, chosen by either myself, Nic, Freya or Kirsty. Which of course, would be optional to read, as are the regular Books of the Month.

Thoughts? =)

message 2: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Sounds like an interesting idea. If I get this right, the themed month books will be the books of the month, i.e. not additional to the ones we usually nominate and vote on. I suppose as long as not every month is a themed month I could easily go along with this idea, or otherwise the themed month nominations could be additional to the usual/normal one (2+2). More books to read is always a good idea, me thinks.

For the same reason, I'm totally game for the mod choice book. I think if we stick with only two book month books (and not the 2+2 I mentioned above) then why not have a mod choice every month? As I said, more book choices = more book reads = more discussion! :)

A question though, will the theme of the themed months be chosen by a mod or are we going to vote on it through a poll a couple of months in advance?

message 3: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Nov 29, 2013 05:16AM) (new)

They will be books of the month, yep. All nominations would have to fit the category. And nope, it wouldn't be every month =)

I'd just open a post for suggestions and let the feedback come in, I think. =)

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 439 comments I like the idea of themes for the book of the month, for example steampunk, other worlds, dystopian and classics. It is probably worth doing there of four times a year

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren I like both ideas. What are some examples of themes?

message 6: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1853 comments Mod
Nice one Nic and Rinn! Great ideas here - I agree with Paul 4 times a year sounds good, the type of themes you suggest as examples sound great too.

I like the idea of polling for a theme - Democracy ftw.

I also like the idea of a moderators choice :D

I like like like!

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Haha, I meant open a POST for ideas, then POLL for the final choice. Early morning post writing is a bad idea... but yeah, same thing as BotM nominations.

I'll try and work on this and the challenges over the weekend a bit. I wish we could have a separate moderators discussion board, but I don't see how...

message 8: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
My other ideas for themes were British writers, Award winners (Hugo, Nebula, etc), Gollancz SF/Fantasy masterworks series, Best of 2013.

I think it's possible to set the challenges to match the themes too.

message 9: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments I really like Nic's ideas! Also we could do a In Memoriam Tribute to great authors who have passed away. Or we could do some decade-themed months like '60s, '70s and 80's.

message 10: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1853 comments Mod
So many great ideas! :D

message 11: by Sinead (new)

Sinead | 49 comments All ideas sound good especially the themed one. The more books the merrier.

message 12: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1988 comments Mod
Sounds good to me, I'd like to keep it to four times a year. It will provide a bit of a change up and get me to read things that might be out of my comfort zone.

message 13: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1777 comments Mod
Sounds good to me - I think 4 times a year is a good idea, silly me already struggles with the desire to read both BotMs :P

When would we pick these times of the year? Would it be worth this month/January picking the 4 months (for example) to be themed, and then vote and poll for the themes so they are set at the beginning of the year, and then as the voting for each month comes up, people know the theme already... does that make sense or did a verbal splurge just happen? :)

message 14: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

I've made a suggestion thread, which will then be made into a poll at the end of the month/beginning of January, and then the top four from the poll will be our themed months =)

message 15: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1777 comments Mod
Marvellous :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.