♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Suggesting Books > Book recommendations for young teen?!! Help

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments I really need some book recommendations for my age group, 12-14. Ive read hunger games, divergent harry potter and all that. Any YA recommendations!???

message 2: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Rogers | 12 comments the bloodlines project? Dystopia with a fiesty 14 year old heroine.

message 3: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments There's a cool Book Gift Guide that gives some good recommendations: http://www.bookgiftguide.com/young-adult

I would also recommend The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant and Unwind (Unwind, #1) by Neal Shusterman , all INCREDIBLE!

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Thanks for helping!

message 5: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments No worries :) Happy reading!

message 6: by Wren (new)

Wren Figueiro | 15 comments Anything by Cassandra Clare, Beautiful Creatures, Under the Never Sky, Delirium, those last two are dystopian. If you're looking for something cute and fun The Ex Games by Jennifer Echols, also by her- Major Crush.

message 7: by B.B. (new)

B.B. Shepherd (bbshepherd) | 519 comments Have you read Legend? The main characters are only fifteen but are very mature. I really loved Cinder too.:)

message 8: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments I have the book Legend and im hoping to read it soon. I'll check out Cinder too.

message 9: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Ah I love Under the Never Sky, great call! And The Mortal Instruments and Clockwork series were both pretty awesome too!

message 10: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments B.B. wrote: "Have you read Legend? The main characters are only fifteen but are very mature. I really loved Cinder too.:)"

Ooh you'll love Legend, it's awesome!! And Cinder is one of my faves! Marissa Meyer just did an INCREDIBLE live Q&A in my YA group, she was so awesome! Here's a link in case anyone's interested: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 11: by Harlee (new)

Harlee I recommend Percy Jackson and the Olympians & The Heroes of Olympus series! :)

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Ya, I really loved the Percy Jackson series!

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2 comments I really liked the Fallen series by Lauren Kate.

message 14: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Ok, thanks!

message 15: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Harlee wrote: "I recommend Percy Jackson and the Olympians & The Heroes of Olympus series! :)"

Ahh Percy is one of my favorites too!!!

message 16: by Daisya (new)

Daisya Spencer (daisya19) The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is a great young teen read :)

message 17: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Agreed! The Fault in Our Stars is really good! And it's on sale right now on Kindle!

message 18: by Ames (last edited Nov 29, 2013 01:02AM) (new)

Ames | 27 comments I really liked The Selection Shatter Me and Across the Universe!
As someone mentioned before, the Mortal Instruments. I LOVE the series, so I definitely recommend it.
Also Flipped! Although you might be a bit old for it, (I read it when I was 10/11), it's just such a fun book! Or you could watch the movie haha. :)

message 19: by Krizza Mae (new)

Krizza Mae Martin (krizzamaemartin) | 3 comments John Green's books. Harry Potter, Infernal Devices and Divergent.

message 20: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Krizza Mae wrote: "John Green's books. Harry Potter, Infernal Devices and Divergent."

Good choices :)

message 21: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments The Book Lover wrote: "I really liked The Selection Shatter Me and Across the Universe!
As someone mentioned before, the Mortal Instruments. I LOVE the series, so I definite..."

I really loved Across the Universe, and that series gets better and better with each book :)

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 187 comments "Krizza Mae wrote: John Green's books, Harry Potter, Infernal devices and Divergent."

Amazing series'! However, I don't read a lot of John Green's books.

message 23: by Harlee (new)

Harlee David wrote: "Harlee wrote: "I recommend Percy Jackson and the Olympians & The Heroes of Olympus series! :)"

Ahh Percy is one of my favorites too!!!"

:D

message 24: by Harlee (new)

Harlee Has anyone mentioned The Maze Runner yet? I've only read the first book so far but I thought it was pretty good!

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 187 comments No, but I have heard lots of good things about it.

message 26: by Ames (new)

Ames | 27 comments Harlee wrote: "Has anyone mentioned The Maze Runner yet? I've only read the first book so far but I thought it was pretty good!"

yeah! That was an amazing book, but people have many different reviews about the next few in the series. In my opinion, the next two are decent, but definitely not as good as the first one.

message 27: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments I loved The Maze Runner, was pretty meh on The Scorch Trials and then thought the third book was pretty good :)

message 28: by Harlee (new)

Harlee I plan on getting The Scorch Trials in a few weeks, so hopefully I like it!

message 29: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Does anyone think Shatter me is good? Im thinking of reading it

message 30: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments J.t. wrote: "Does anyone think Shatter me is good? Im thinking of reading it"

Shatter Me was one of my weirdest reading experiences ever! I was completely and utterly enthralled for the first half of the book. I was literally walking into things because I couldn't put my Kindle down. The writing was unique and beautiful and so so creative. And then I ended up really not liking the direction the plot went and I felt the writing lost some of its luster in the second half. So it ended up being a weird read for me.

But I did read the novella, which I liked, and I'm planning on continuing in the series, because the writer is exceptionally talented. I think you should give it a shot, so many people love this series! But be prepared for some very unique and jarring writing, especially early on :)

message 31: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Ok, I'll try it out

message 32: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Thanks to everyone who suggested books to me!!!

message 33: by Jane (new)

Jane | 12 comments Is the Darkest minds appropriate for a 12 year old?

message 34: by Kaity (last edited Dec 07, 2013 04:51AM) (new)

message 36: by Night Owl (last edited Jan 23, 2014 02:02AM) (new)

Night Owl Reader (allnightreading) Wonder by R.J. Palacio The Giver (The Giver Quartet, #1) by Lois Lowry Number the Stars by Lois Lowry The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

These are some really good books that I have enjoyed while I was around that age(Except, I've read Wonder more recently.)

A Girl With Her Nose in a Book (musicbook_lover) | 61 comments I would recommend the Ruby Red trilogy. The Gallagher Girls and Heist Society books by Ally Carter are really good too.

message 38: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikkicasey) | 1 comments Hmm. I would suggest Divergent and Percy Jackson, definitely. Depending on what you like, The Morganville Vampires series is very good, as well as the Vampire Academy series (the first movie in the series is being released in February). I've also read the Vampire Kisses series by Ellen Schreiber. They're directed towards a younger group. Anything by Sarah Dessen is usually really good. Or even Peaches. I read that as a sophomore in high school and remember really enjoying it.

message 39: by Jessi (new)

Jessi (jessgrieser) | 1 comments I really second Kaitlynne's and Leanne's suggestions above of the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter.

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter (Book #1)

They're very smart and nothing like anything else in YA I read.

message 40: by Maryanne (new)

Maryanne Grabo (maryannegrabo) | 8 comments Here are three from YA Author Markelle Grabo
Markelle Grabo
The Elf Girl (Journey Into the Realm, #1) by Markelle Grabo The Spell Master (Journey into the Realm, #2) by Markelle Grabo The Stolen Child (Journey Into the Realm, #3) by Markelle Grabo

message 41: by Barb (new)

Barb (bubasbookshelf) Uhh, here goes the list:
Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand
Hallowed (Unearthly, #2) by Cynthia Hand
Boundless (Unearthly, #3) by Cynthia Hand
Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) by J.R.R. Tolkien
Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy, #1) by Richelle Mead
Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2) by Richelle Mead
Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake
Delirium (Delirium, #1) by Lauren Oliver
Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1) by Tessa Gratton

message 42: by David (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 350 comments Great list, Luna! I recently read Incarnate (Newsoul, #1) by Jodi Meadows and thought it was a great YA read too :)

message 43: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 31 comments If you're still looking here are some really good YA books

Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout My Wolf's Bane (Shapes of Autumn, #1) by Veronica Blade Something Witchy This Way Comes (Something Witchy, #1) by Veronica Blade Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves, #1) by Quinn Loftis Elfin (The Elfin, #1) by Quinn Loftis Captured (The Captive, #1) by Erica Stevens Bound (The Crystor, #1) by C.K. Bryant Destiny Binds (Timber Wolves Trilogy, #1) by Tammy Blackwell

I hope you find something you like!

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Medhurst (rachelmedhurst) | 28 comments These are great, guys! Glad I found this thread :)

message 45: by Kaity (new)

Kaity (i-love-books-because-reasons) | 16 comments The Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter Cross My Heart and Hope to Spy (Gallagher Girls, #2) by Ally Carter Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover (Gallagher Girls, #3) by Ally Carter Only the Good Spy Young (Gallagher Girls, #4) by Ally Carter Out of Sight, Out of Time (Gallagher Girls, #5) by Ally Carter United We Spy (Gallagher Girls, #6) by Ally Carter