Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Forbidden Planet: The 50 SF Books You Must Read

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1856 comments Mod
So whilst browsing Forbidden planet for inspiration for xmas presents I came across their list of "The 50 SF Books You Must Read".

Not that any of us need an excuse to add yet more books to our To Read shelves....enjoy!

message 2: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Check out their number 1 pick...

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 439 comments Great list. I have read 17 of them

message 4: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

I have some SERIOUS work to do - I am currently reading one of them. And that's it!

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul (halfmanhalfbook) | 439 comments I will start Snow Crash next week. So many books, so little time

message 6: by Mpauli, Bitten by a radioactive book (new)

Mpauli | 769 comments Mod
Only 2 so far (Dune & Neuromancer), but there are a couple of books from my tbr-abyss on it.

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
EEEP NOT ANOTHER CHALLENGE!!

Maybe I could add this as a challenge to the group? When I work out how...

message 8: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Wow... I went into that list thinking that I'd hardly have read more than a couple and I was really surprised to find that I've read 13 of them! And I don't consider myself to be a SF-reader!

message 9: by Nic, Wormhole Technician (new)

Nic Margett (enn_eye_cee) | 353 comments Mod
I've read 21, but this list is heavily leaning towards the Gollancz SF Masterworks series, which I collect. Some of my favourite books have come from that series (check my favourites shelf on my profile page). I have to say there are a few odd choices, The Centauri Device is really not very good, and The Drowned World is not one of JG Ballard's best either. I've read this list before in the summer and there were some really funny comments at the bottom (this one seems to have been re-posted), Sci-Fi geeks really know how to moan!

message 10: by Antonis (new)

Antonis (antonakis) | 62 comments Yeah, I also thought that some of the choices were a bit questionable and there were some very important omissions but well, what would I know, I'm not the SF-expert. :p

message 11: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2813 comments Mod
ARRGGHH!! Would you folk PLEASE stop coming up with new lists for me to work though? ;)

*sigh* adding to my files....

message 12: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Haha... you're not going to like all these new challenges coming your way then ;D

message 13: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1988 comments Mod
I've read 4 of these and haven't heard of most of them.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 34 comments I've read about half of the book on the list, and feel Dune is sort of a overrated book, but it kind of deserve to be #1 since it is the #1 bestselling science fiction book of all time.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.