City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) City of Bones discussion

I just saw the movie

Comments Showing 1-50 of 70 (70 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

J.D. Field and I was really disappointed. What did you think?

Vanessa As far as book to movie adaptations go, this wasn't the worst but it certainly wasn't the best either. I also hated movie Jace as well. He just didn't seem like the Jace in the book at all. I also really hate Valentine. What they heck were they thinking? Is he suppose to be some sort of thug or pirate? That was not the sophisticated, charming Valentine I envisioned in my head. There were some scenes that I missed which I wished were included in the movie, like the scene when Simon gets turned into a rat; I wish they included that. I didn't like how they portrayed Jace to be this sort of badass shadowhunter that goes around saving everyone (even though this is how Jace sees himself), it undermines the other characters' strengths. Like the scene when Clary gets home and gets attacked by a demon, she finds a way to kill the demon herself before Jace even gets there. Also the scene where they're at madam Dorthea's place and the demon that's inside her comes out and attacks, it was simon who saved them; yet in the movie, in both of these scenes it's Jace that defeats the demons. It makes it seem like they can't survive on their own without Jace there to save them. As awkward as the whole Clary, Jace sibling relationship is, I'm not happy that they revealed it wasn't true in the 1st movie, for 2 reasons. 1 being, at the time when I saw the movie, I only read the first 2 books and had yet to read the 3rd one, so the movie kind of spoiled part of the 3rd book for me. 2nd, if they do make a second TMI movie it will change Clary and Jace's relationship. The whole 2nd book (and the 3rd, until the end) Clary and Jace have this sort of weird, awkward relationship where they try to see each other as just siblings but they still have feelings for each other and then they start to avoid each other a bit, and now we won't get to see that. We won't see the conflict in their relationship.

Lilly Santiago Vanessa wrote: "As far as book to movie adaptations go, this wasn't the worst but it certainly wasn't the best either. I also hated movie Jace as well. He just didn't seem like the Jace in the book at all. I also ..."

I saw the movie and I don't think they ever said anything about the fact that Jace and Clary were siblings was false. When was that?

Vanessa At the end of the movie, Jace tells Clary that he doesn't believe what Valentine said about them being siblings and Clary said she didn't believe it either. So technically they didn't outright say, "they are not brother and sister", but if the characters don't believe the lie, then it will still change the way the relationship is portrayed.

Destiny dissapointed as well :(

Lilly Santiago Vanessa wrote: "At the end of the movie, Jace tells Clary that he doesn't believe what Valentine said about them being siblings and Clary said she didn't believe it either. So technically they didn't outright say,..."

Didn't that happen in the book? Damn and I just reread it yesterday. I'm losing it!

Joyce I saw the previews and decided not to waste my time with the movie. I was too disappointed with what I saw in the previews. Hollywood can be so dumb. If they don't stick to the facts in the book, they are really going to disappoint the fans. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Vanessa Lianna wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "At the end of the movie, Jace tells Clary that he doesn't believe what Valentine said about them being siblings and Clary said she didn't believe it either. So technically they didn..."

I'm pretty sure it didn't happen like that in the book. At first Clary refused to believe it when she first found out but by the end of it, they both just kind of accepted it as fact. Then in the next two books, they're both just miserable cause they want to be together but they think they can't.

Kathryn Lianna wrote: "Vanessa wrote: "As far as book to movie adaptations go, this wasn't the worst but it certainly wasn't the best either. I also hated movie Jace as well. He just didn't seem like the Jace in the book..."

If i recall correctly, they don't really solve that issue until the later. They think they're siblings because they have the same "Father" Clary doesn't meet her real brother until later in the series.

Swathika Manu Maybe we should ask Jamie to put in some weight. And cut his hair a bit so he doesn't look like a girl.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary @ Swanstar, LOL! I just lost my morning coffee reading your post!

Swathika Manu Ooops! Sorry about your coffee. But seriously isn't that true? XD

message 13: by Nurlely (last edited Dec 02, 2013 02:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely Swanstar wrote: "Maybe we should ask Jamie to put in some weight. And cut his hair a bit so he doesn't look like a girl."

He is too skinny indeed. His eyes are too big for his thin face. But the most part which is far from flattering is his butt. If they want to have a clear shot of his bottom, they could at least have asked him to gain more weigh first or did some trick with the camera. Such a disappointing view... LOL

Saf I didn't like the movie, I thought it was so cheesy! I really liked all the books (a few more than others) but the movie seemed me like it was kind of a spoof of the books, or like it was taking the piss, it didn't seem at all serious.

But then again, I don't really like any book to movie adaptations (apart from Harry Potter), I think this just tipped it for me, I'm done with watching book to movie adaptations, I prefer the books and the way my imagination creates the characters in my head and I don't like having the experience ruined for me.

Can we talk about Magnus? His character is perfectly chosen, but HE CAN'T ACT. Ugh it was so frustrating, I felt like I could see the camera crew filming opposite him, I could tell he was acting and when you're watching a movie, you don't want to be consciously aware that they're just acting, you want it to pull you in to thinking to a certain extent that it's real.

AH. Good casting, poor acting on his behalf.

Vanessa Annie wrote: "I didn't like the movie, I thought it was so cheesy! I really liked all the books (a few more than others) but the movie seemed me like it was kind of a spoof of the books, or like it was taking th..."

I feel like that's true of some of the other characters as well, especially Clary and Jace. I did not buy into any scenes with them, the acting just wasn't there.

Sherley Cassandra's books are so good and this movie didn't seem like they valued her work at all. If someone doesn't read the book they won't understand the movie at all. The casting was great but the movie itself was really bad, it was kind of just pointless fighting all the time with no character development.

Koleen Hansen to whom may concern:

I enjoyed the movie a lot

best regards

Morgan Aalia wrote: "Compared to all the great books that have been ruined by the movies that are made, I think this movie done really well. It wasn't exactly like the book and couldn't be, but it was pretty close and ..."

Agreed. I didn't like him either... No hate please! I love the books, I just didn't like him... Sorry...

Lady NoName I already knew the movie was gonna go down hill from the previews, but I went to see it anyway (& b/c I didn't pay for it). It could have been a lot better, but it wasn't the worst book to film adaptation I've see. I'll give them a B for effort.

P.S. I liked the look of the guy who played Magnus but, he really wasn't FABULOUS enough!

message 20: by Nurlely (last edited Dec 03, 2013 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nurlely I saw the movie because I love TMI and wanted to support it. After watching the movie I decided not to recommend anyone to watch it. Not worth the money.

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary I have been debating whether I want to see it. TMI is one of my favorite series but I feel like if I go it will kind of ruin CoHF for me. I am leaning towards no because even the trailer looked upsetting.

Christina The book was amazing and the movie was almost spot on. I love it, but ~shugs~ Maybe it's not for everyone.

SHINY TMI is my favourite book series so I had to watch the City of Bones Movie! It was not really disappointing, but i didn't like a few changes made. But regardless, I loved the movie and I will continue to support TMI!!!! :)

Ayeiska I personally hated the movie adaptions. Especially Jace and Magnus. In my head Magnus is an interesting and flamboyant gay and witty man. This was nothing like I wanted him to be. It honestly felt like to me like they didn't even bother to read the books. And how could I forget that aweful line coming out of Clary's mouth "But I don't remember anything my mother would want me to forget." All in all I thought this was aweful and I will not be spending another dime on the adaptions of these movies. And this is coming from someone who has loved these books from the very beginning and has done several rereads. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone it tries too damn hard to be the The New Twilight. Ugh.

message 25: by Yuli (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yuli I was also disappointed. I agree that everything was revealed and the part where Valentine takes Jace is nothing like how it was in the book. Personally that was my favorite part.

Wendell I tried not to compare the movie and the book, just because the move cost $20 to see, so I was determined to enjoy it!

I did get a little irritated that when we see the tarot deck laid out there was only, like, 20 cards. Did Clary's mum get lazy and only make the major arcana and one minor arcana?

Small things bothered me too, like Clary seemed really two dimensional in the movie, but I thought she was more fleshed out in the book. Maybe on a second reading I will think differently. (??)

And I thought there was a lot more interaction between Alec, Jace and Izzy in the book, and too little in the movie. But that may just be my memory being terrible. Also I think they were a lot older in the movie, like 18 - 21, but in the books weren't they 13 or something?

To be honest I think both the book and the movie have their own merits, and I personally could not be bothered comparing them too much. It will ruin one or the other or both.

Marexelle Ruth During the casting i was actually disappointed that Jamie CB will play Jace, but now that I've watched the movie twice, I understand why Cassie chose him. The face might be disappointing but the personality, the attitude and the EYES!! He can speak volumes with that eyes. I can't think of anyone who'd play Jace that well.

message 28: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field Aalia wrote: "Compared to all the great books that have been ruined by the movies that are made, I think this movie done really well. It wasn't exactly like the book and couldn't be, but it was pretty close and ..."

I guess that worked, but I liked guessing and wondering. I didn't really want it spelled out to me...

message 29: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field Vanessa wrote: "As far as book to movie adaptations go, this wasn't the worst but it certainly wasn't the best either. I also hated movie Jace as well. He just didn't seem like the Jace in the book at all. I also ..."

I think what they might do is go for a conventional love triangle with Simon. Team Jace! Team Simon! Urg.

message 30: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field Annie wrote: "I didn't like the movie, I thought it was so cheesy! I really liked all the books (a few more than others) but the movie seemed me like it was kind of a spoof of the books, or like it was taking th..."

I know! I don't know who that actor was, but he sounded like somebody just reading from a dictionary or something.

message 31: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field OMG I just wrote this discussion last week and forgot about it. Now tons of epople have commented! I agree more with the people who didn;'t like it. I mean some of the movie looked amazing, like the library, and the portal and stuff. But why are there no lightbulbs in the institute. It bugs me when movies try to hide the fact they aren't very good by being dark. Plu Valentine should be big, and stern, with cropped hair, not pirates of the caribbean. And Clary was too tall and too beautiful and Jace was too weird looking. He reminded me of an alien :( his eyes are actually too big

Wendell Now all I can see is Jace's too large eyes.

Aihyana The main thing that bothers me was their choice of characters. I understand it's hard to assign living roles to fictional characters but they could've done better.
-Lily Collins is gorgeous and an amazing actress, but that's not how I pictured Clary at all. And is in the book they put a lot of emphasis on Clary's fiery red hair, maybe I'm just being picky but her hair looked brown. Auburn, if I'm being generous.
-Jace looked...odd, to say the least. I understand it's difficult to find people to play an unrealistically sexy shadowhunter, but that really threw me off.
-Isabelle wasn't tall enough and Clary was prettier than her. Plus, if you haven't read the book you probably didn't get a good feel of her personality. Her whole role in the movie seemed kind of devoid.
-Alec looked 30.
-Magnus was, how can I saw this without sounding racist...but yeah he was Asian. I didn't really get that impression from the book. Maybe I missed something...?
I could go on for days about Valentine, but basically he looked like a cross between a biker and a pirate.
Casting aside, the details were off (did Izzy ever pull out a flamethrower in the book and start blow-torching ravens?) but again, maybe I'm picky. I guess I can understand why people who haven't read the series would like the movie. I had my expectations set petty low since I know how bad they can mess up movies, and this certainly wasn't' the worst (cough cough, Beautiful Creature) but still I didn't enjoy it.

Nurlely Aihyana wrote: "The main thing that bothers me was their choice of characters. I understand it's hard to assign living roles to fictional characters but they could've done better..."

I agree with Lily Collins. Even though she is way too awesome for Clary, she was not suitable as Clary. Too pretty and too smart. Clary was a bit annoying and didn't have Lily's flawless skin.

Yep, Jamie was an odd choice. Too big eyes, too skinny with unflattering flat butt... LOL

Isabelle should indeed be prettier than Clary. She should be sassy and attractive. In the movie, Isabelle was kind of boring.

Alec looked like their uncle. Old and less handsome.

As for Magnus, you did miss the convo when Jace and friends met Magnus for the first time. Magnus was said to be part Asian.

Agreed with Valentine. I choke every time I want to compare the character in the book with that weirdo in the movie. I cursed the casting board of making the gorgeous JRM into a silly Valentine.

"Magnus? Magnus Bane?"
"That would be me." The man blocking the doorway was as tall and thin as a rail, his hair a crown of
dense black spikes. Clary guessed from the curve of his sleepy eyes and the gold tone of his evenly
tanned skin that he was part Asian.

message 35: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field I remember when I first saw pictures for the movie, I saw Lily Collins and assumed she was playing Isabelle.
And the red hair! And she's supposed to be tiny. she goes on about it all the time.
There's an interesting question here: Studios like to make movies like this, and hunger games, because they believe they can tap into an existing fan base. The problem is that if you change things around, you lose that fan base, and if the movie isn't amazing you don't get anyone else.

message 36: by J.D. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J.D. Field Hunger Games and Twilight are much more true to the books, and maybe thats why people like them better?

Christina Bought the movie...It's amazing. :D

Christina I did not like how Jace looked at first, but I grew to it. Clary was perfect so :P

Christina Momokey (Mrs. Jace Wayland) wrote: "in simple words tht r used all around the world I L.O.V.E.D IT."

I'm so glad someone else agrees with me!!! did you think it followed the book?

Rachael I broke my rule and didn't read the book first, mainly bc my husband rented the movie and I wasn't going to sit it out...And I loved the movie! I hope they make a sequel, and now I am going to get on with reading the books.

Jamie Kirby I have to say i did actually like the movie but i love the books so it bothered me that they tossed in sooooo much that is revealed later or things that didnt even happen at all. However i read these books a few years ago so i may not remember the first book as good but i still really enjoyed it and would watch the sequels!! Oh and i was sooooo (can i say it again) sooooooooo disapointed that they picked jamie as jace but believe it or not HE GREW ON ME and by the end i could see the jace from tmi. But i expected someone overwhelming hot lol and i agree with someone else that said there seemed to be more communication between jace, clary, isabella and alec in the book, u kinda got a feel for them but the movie mainly has the focus on jace and clary which i understand but still they could have talked a little.

message 42: by Nikita (last edited Dec 09, 2013 12:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nikita I've read the book and I liked the movie. Had a good cast, amazing effects and music was cool too. What I really didn't like about the film were the changes and what was left out.

They never really touched on about the Accords and how important they are. Luke's relationship with Jocelyn and Valentine or how he became a werewolf. They didn't talk about Valentine's hatred for downworlders, which I thought was the core reason to why Valentine went against the Shadowhunter world.

The thing about Jace finally out or rather remembering that his father was Valentine, wrong.

The final battle was disappointing to me because it was big in the book and was changed in the movie. Also Valentine took the cup in the book and yet Clary has it at the end of the movie.

Again I liked the movie but it could have been better. They could have done more to be true to the books, I mean. I still don't know why they changed so much from the book but hope they do better with City of Ashes.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

El comienzo fue muy bueno, fue el final lo que arruinó la película.. además Geoffry Gao no hizo un buen papal de Magnus en mi opinión, deberían cambiar al director

Basma Nikita wrote: "I've read the book and I liked the movie. Had a good cast, amazing effects and music was cool too. What I really didn't like about the film were the changes and what was left out.

They never rea..."

I agree. I was confused at the end, when Clary still had the cup. That bothered me a lot. And the fact that Simon didn't turn into a rat. I would have loved to see that. However, they did a pretty good job. Not as good as the Harry Potter and the Hunger Games movies, but not as bad as Percy Jackson movie. Because that just sucked.

Nurlely Basma wrote: "However, they did a pretty good job. Not as good as the Harry Potter and the Hunger Games movies, but not as bad as Percy Jackson movie. Because that just sucked...."

I am not a PJ's fans, but I think it is wise to check the box office result on both movies before you went on saying that TMI is better and PJ is bad.

Peter Jackson: Sea of Monsters
Budget: $90,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $14,401,054 (USA) (9 August 2013)
Gross: $68,316,158 (USA) (6 December 2013)

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
Budget: $60,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $9,336,957 (USA) (23 August 2013)
Gross: $31,165,421 (USA) (4 October 2013)

I love TMI books (1-3 mostly), but the movie sucked.
It surely did not get any closer to either HP or THG movies.

message 46: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary After reading all the comments, I have decided to not watch the movie. From what I have gathered of everybody's opinions I feel as if it would just ruin the books for me.

notyourfriend The movie = DISASTER

Hijinee Martinez different from the book....but i loved it.....cant wait for the next one...

message 49: by Joyce (last edited Dec 18, 2013 06:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joyce Paigetwo *Caitlyn* wrote: "The movie = DISASTER"

I just saw it and was very disappointed. A few things I didn't understand was why they changed the plot. Why did they let Clary get the cup back? The movie also didn't clearly establish the importance of why Valentine wanted the cup - although in the book, I don't think we find that out right away.

Also I don't understand why they made Valentine into some kind of biker dude. In my mind, I always saw him as elegant, always dressed very nice like an English gentleman. Two reasons Valentine could get people to follow him were 1. he was very careful about how he portrayed himself (physically), and 2. He was a very elegant speaker. He could talk people into anything and make them confused about how they ever doubted him. In the movie, Valentine looks a little deranged. The movie totally screwed up the role of Valentine. I liked the actor though - He is staring in the Dracula series on TV.Anyway, I seriously doubt the movie Valentine could get any followers.

One more thing I didn't understand was why they picked the actor they chose for Jace. Don't get me wrong, I think his acting was very good, but he doesn't look like a warrior. He looks emaciated. In the book, Jace was muscular, had a little more meat on him and had good posture. The Jace in the movie slouches. I just can't see him as a shadow hunter. In the book they train every day (supposedly). I can totally see Alec as a shadow hunter. His posture is great, and the way he stands-or balances himself - looks like he could spring into action easily. Bet he has studied a martial art at some point.

Joyce Vanessa wrote: "As far as book to movie adaptations go, this wasn't the worst but it certainly wasn't the best either. I also hated movie Jace as well. He just didn't seem like the Jace in the book at all. I also ..."

I totally agree!

« previous 1