Afro Book Club discussion

African writing -- discussion > Getting Published as a writer of African descent

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments My short time on goodreads has exposed me to many authors who all seem to have struggled with getting published. Have you tried to get published? What has your experiences been and what advice can you share with other members who are contemplating writing or struggling with publishing. Do you think it is more difficult to get published as a writer of African descent?

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments Thanks for opening this discussion - it is needed.
I had planned to write a series of blog posts about this topic, and will make some comments on this in the next few days
Many aspirant authors have also come to me for suggestions and currently supporting a few people in getting published
It really is an issue for discussion and an area where we should support each other
It would also be great to hear from other authors on how they found their publishing journey .. to share knowledge and prevent the common mistakes (especially thinking that if your write great and relevant material that publishing companies will be interested in you!)
I will gather my thoughts on this topic and write in a few days.
What I will say now though, it is not easy and I do believe it is so much more difficult if you are an African
Till later then
(I am really liking this initiative- well done)

message 3: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments You know, I started writing seriously when I was about 18. It has taken me 30+ years to get published not for want of trying

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments Seriously James?
That is something else. Why do you think that is? What would you say are the major stumbling blocks?
Thirty years is a long time

message 5: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Diane, publishers in Ghana were more interested in publishing textbooks for schools than risk publishing an unknown writer. You were just not economic enough.At least that is what I could discern from comments they made. As if to make up for your disappointment, they would add. You are just a young boy. One day you will get published.

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments James wrote: "Diane, publishers in Ghana were more interested in publishing textbooks for schools than risk publishing an unknown writer. You were just not economic enough.At least that is what I could discern f..."

Well that is rather said, though I have heard that the publishing scene has changed for the better there now. Has it? I think in general many countries struggle to have publishers that take on new authors. "economic enough" what does that mean? They do not think that many people will buy the books?
This is indeed sad because we should be reversing the trend of having non-African books available but not Afro books
Anyways will gather my thoughts on this topic as it relates to my own journey and share these in a couple of days.. Thanks for sharing

message 7: by ConnorD (last edited Dec 02, 2013 05:51AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Dear Authors,

Please note that you may also nominate your books for members to consider, in the different months that are relevant for your books
In this case, Diane for Southern Africa, James for West Africa

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Africa Book Club Short Story Competition

http://www.africabookclub.com/?page_i...

message 9: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Thanks. In that case, I nominate Cocoa Island for your consideration. You can get it here www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Island-James-Amo...

http://sbpra.com/jamesamoateng/