Kobo Users discussion

New to Kobo and e readers.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by cHriS (new)

cHriS | 18 comments Hi, I have been think for sometime about getting an e reader. I'm not sure if I will like the idea of reading from a screen rather than from a paper page. But I guess most people start with that thought in mind.

Anyway it was between the Kindle paper white and the Kobo Aura. But then I noticed the Kobo Touch on sale for £35. So my thinking now is get the Touch see how I get on with it and upgrade at a later date to the Aura.

Is that I good idea? Or would my first experience with an e reader be more favourable with the Aura.

Also, now that Goodreads are part of Amazon should that influence my choice?

I do like the fact that Pocket is now available on Kobo.

message 2: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind I have a Kobo Touch and I'm happy with it. At first it took a while to get used to having to 'turn' the page more often, but after a while I found that I hardly noticed it.

I have no experience with a Kindle, so I can't compare them. If you're looking for free books, the Kindle does have more available (though I won't vouch for the quality of them) but you can get some with the Kobo.

I use my Kobo to borrow library books. I don't know if you can do that with a Kindle. At one time you couldn't, but I think that may have changed.

I've been very happy with my Kobo Touch, and I haven't been tempted to trade it in for another model.

message 3: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 4 comments I had kindles for a few years before I recently switched to the Kobo Glo. I find it a bit more ergonomically friendly than the Kindle Paperwhite- you can choose which hand to use to turn pages, etc.

If you ever read after dark, I'd recommend going for a lighted device. You can buy lighted cases, but the cost of the case plus the device is often just as expensive as getting an e-reader with a light.

I haven't noticed a real difference in book availability between kindles and kobo. In our area it's easier to borrow library books with a Kobo. Whichever device you get, I'd also recommend downloading Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/)- it's not only a great library management tool, but will convert most formats.

message 4: by cHriS (new)

cHriS | 18 comments Shanna & Jen. Thank you for your replies. I have always bought and read paperbacks, I don't like hardbacks, not really because of the cost, but they are not as easy to hold while reading and bulky to store.

But I also don't like waiting 9 months for the paperback version to be published. That's why I have been thinking about an e reader, maybe a good compromise.

Shanna, I think I might give the Touch a try on your recommendation and maybe upgrade later.

Jen, is the screen readable with electric lighting or does the ecreader still need a backlight.

message 5: by Shanna_redwind (last edited Nov 29, 2013 05:10AM) (new)

Shanna_redwind I use a clip on light when I'm reading at night after the lights have been turned out. It's not perfect but it's not too bad.

The nice thing about all e-readers is that they're good to read in any light that you can read a regular book in. They don't fade out in sunlight and regular electric lights are just as good for them as a paper book.

message 6: by cHriS (new)

cHriS | 18 comments Thanks Shanna. I will give the Touch a try, I can't see that I would need a clip on light but sunlight yes, that could be an issue. Nice to know it does not fade: some mobile phone screens are not viewable in sunlight.

message 7: by Jen (new)

Jen (jenlb) | 4 comments Any of them are fine in electric light and sunlight- I think that you'll be happy with the difference between using one of those and reading on a phone.

message 8: by Alan (new)

Alan | 6 comments I had my Kobo glo for a year and I use it mostly to borrow library books. But last week when I tried to
recharge my device the plug wouldn't fit into the USB
port anymore, it seemed as if the connecting gadget
had shifted. I wrote to Kobo and three days later they
responded with the wonderful news that they will send me a new device for free. I was so thrilled with this
service.

message 9: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind Wow, that is great service. I wonder if it's a known flaw?

message 10: by Alan (new)

Alan | 6 comments I switched to my Kindle paperwhite this past week to read one book (I use my Kobo more often because of library loans)and the shadows on the bottom of the screen are really noticeable. I think the Kobo screen
is cleaner. I like the light on the Kindle but overall there are no shadows on the Kobo.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan | 6 comments Kobo books has started a deal of the day like Amazon's
daily deal. The price yesterday was only 2.99 but today it is 4.99. Still it's always fun to check the
deal.