What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. girls goes (runs away?) to UK. There is an undead zombie man who has to eat a magic red crystal to stay alive...

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Subtledawn (new)

Subtledawn | 3 comments In the beginning of the book the young girl steals some kind of small figurine or something from an old lady her mother is providing homecare for. Later she runs away ( I think) to the uk. I think she is looking for her dad, maybe her dad runs a pub?
Somehow this story line connects with another plotline involving this undead zombie thing that is looking for her or for someone and has to keep eating this red crystal in order to be animated. I think someone dug his body out of a bog to use him for some purpose. I can't remember the end but it was an amazing book. I think the girl was around 14 years old. It might have started out in canada, if not I think she was from north america somewhere.

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4967 comments Subtledawn, was this more of a fantasy or horror story? Remember anything about the cover?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34340 comments Mod
How about the story "Thistle & Thorne" by Ann Aguirre in the collection 'Til The World Ends? Here's a description from a reviewer on Amazon:

"Thistle and Thorne features a post-apocalytic world ravaged by pollution and chemical spills. The only law of the land is kill or be killed and the mob bosses have taken control of each city, ruling with fear and intimidation. The extremely rich get to live in protected communities, away from the harmful pollution. Everyone else, including Mari Thistle, gets to live in the Red Zone, scavenge for valuables, and protect what is theirs at all costs. Mari takes jobs as needed to provide for her little brother and sister. A heist goes wrong when she tries to steal a figurine from a rich community based on out of date plans. She goes into hiding to escape the mob boss Davros that hired her and teams up with Thorne, who works for the mob boss but is using Mari's situation to plan his downfall. Together, they hope to bring Davros' reign of terror to an end."

message 4: by X3n0xm (new)

X3n0xm | 9 comments Subtledawn wrote: "In the beginning of the book the young girl steals some kind of small figurine or something from an old lady her mother is providing homecare for. Later she runs away ( I think) to the uk. I thin..." Hmm parts of that plot remind me of Full Metal Alchemist.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Nov 29, 2013 05:46PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Full Metal Alchemist Full Metal Alchemist ? Or are these 2 the same book, just messed up by using the publisher for the author on the first one?

edit--ok, after looking at the (very basic) descriptions, I'm going nope, not the same book.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38154 comments Mod
Subtledawn, are you still looking for this book?