All Challenges All The Time discussion

Retired Challenges > December 2013

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jojobean, Bookworm Challenger (new)

Jojobean | 1584 comments Mod
December 2013 Monthly Challenge

Levels
Easy~ 1-3 books
Medium~ 4-7 books
Hard~ 10 books

You can create your lists now but no reading until December 1

1. Two of December's birthstones are Turquoise and Tanzanite. Read a book with blue-green, blue or purple cover

2. December's flower are Holly and Poinsettia. While now it is associated with Christmas, back during the Aztec times, the Aztecs used the plant to stop fevers and sickness. Read a book where medicine is somehow involved (be creative!) or read a book set during Aztec times which is from the 14th to 16th century. Or read a book set in Mexico.

3. December has 31 days and is the 12th month of the year. Read a book with a 3, 2 or 1 in its original publication date.

4. December's zodiac signs are Sagittarius and Capricorn. Well will focus on Capricorn this month. Capricorn is half goat, half fish and those born under the Capricorn sign (myself included :D) are said to be hardworking, determined and ambitious among other traits. Read a book that takes place near or in a body of water OR read a book with a character who is hardworking, ambitious or determined.

5. December 1st is "Eat a Red Apple Day". In honor of this day, read a book with a red cover or with a picture/drawing of an apple on the cover (for this option the apple can be any color)

6. December 7th is "Pearl Harbor Day". Read a non-fiction book about Pearl Harbor OR read a book that takes place during World War 2 or a book that takes place in Hawaii.

7. December 19 is "Look for an Evergreen Day". Read a book with a tree on the cover

8. During the month of December (at least partly), Hannuakah takes place. Read a book with the number 8 in the publication date or the eighth book in a series

9. December 25th is Christmas. Read a book with something Christmasey on the cover.
Examples: Candy canes, Presents, Christmas Lights, etc.

10. December 26th is the start of Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa was started in 1966 and is celebrated over 7 days. Read a book set or published in the 1960's OR read a book with the number 7 in its total page number.

message 2: by Trisha (last edited Dec 15, 2013 07:37AM) (new)

Trisha man....reading time is becoming scarce. we'll see how many I can get through :D

10/10

1. Two of December's birthstones are Turquoise and Tanzanite. The Blessed 12/2

2. December's flower are Holly and Poinsettia.
(the book has a weird plague that starts killing them after they spend too much time on the island. They are trying desperately to use the herbs and things in the forest to save everyone) The Forsaken 12/4

3. December has 31 days and is the 12th month of the year. (to be Published: 3/1/2014) The Summer I Found You 12/2

4. December's zodiac signs are Sagittarius and Capricorn. Unteachable 12/4

5. December 1st is "Eat a Red Apple Day". Red Velvet Cupcake Murder 12/15

6. December 7th is "Pearl Harbor Day". Rose Under Fire 12/6

7. December 19 is "Look for an Evergreen Day". Incurable 12/13

8. During the month of December (at least partly), Hannuakah takes place. (Publish: 6/28/13) A 4th of July to Remember 12/2

9. December 25th is Christmas. Read a book with something Christmasey on the cover. The Salty Carmel Christmas 12/8

10. December 26th is the start of Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa was started in 1966 and is celebrated over 7 days. (pages: 372) The Dark Divine 12/4

Read:
The Blessed (The Blessed, #1) by Tonya Hurley The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1) by Lisa M. Stasse Unteachable by Leah Raeder A 4th of July to Remember (A 4th of July to Remember #1, Maddie and Ronnie) by T.J. Honey The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1) by Bree Despain The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein The Salty Carmel Christmas by Barbara Lohr Incurable (The Ellie Chronicles, #2) by John Marsden Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen #16) by Joanne Fluke

message 3: by Megan (last edited Dec 10, 2013 06:51PM) (new)

Megan I'm going to read 1-3 books for this challenge. Because I don't get that much time to read.

I'm going to do

1. Two of December's birthstones are Turquoise and Tanzanite. Read a book with blue-green, blue or purple cover. Ice

7. December 19 is "Look for an Evergreen Day". Read a book with a tree on the cover. Beautiful Creatures

9. December 25th is Christmas. Read a book with something Christmasey on the cover.
Examples: Candy canes, Presents, Christmas Lights, etc. A Virgin River Christmas

Read:

message 4: by Trisha (new)

Trisha yay! I'm done!

Read:
The Blessed (The Blessed, #1) by Tonya Hurley The Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1) by Lisa M. Stasse Unteachable by Leah Raeder A 4th of July to Remember (A 4th of July to Remember #1, Maddie and Ronnie) by T.J. Honey The Dark Divine (The Dark Divine, #1) by Bree Despain The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein The Salty Carmel Christmas by Barbara Lohr Incurable (The Ellie Chronicles, #2) by John Marsden Red Velvet Cupcake Murder (Hannah Swensen #16) by Joanne Fluke

message 5: by Jojobean, Bookworm Challenger (new)

Jojobean | 1584 comments Mod
Trisha wrote: "yay! I'm done!

Read:

The Blessed (The Blessed, #1) by Tonya HurleyThe Forsaken (The Forsaken, #1) by Lisa M. StasseUnteachable by Leah RaederA 4th of July to Remember (A 4th of July to Remember #1, Maddie and Ronnie) by T.J. Honey[bookcover:The Dark Divine|63..."

congrats Trisha! Your super fast!

message 6: by Mickslibrarian (last edited Dec 31, 2013 06:57PM) (new)

Mickslibrarian 10/10

1. Two of December's birthstones are Turquoise and Tanzanite. The Apothecary by Maile Meloy December 9

2. December's flower are Holly and Poinsettia. Murder at Midnight by Avi December 21

3. December has 31 days and is the 12th month of the year. The Camelot Spell by Laura Anne Gilman December 12

4. December's zodiac signs are Sagittarius and Capricorn. The Apprentices by Maile Meloy December 17

5. December 1st is "Eat a Red Apple Day". Lost and Found: Unexpected Revelations About Food and Money by Geneen Roth December 31

6. December 7th is "Pearl Harbor Day". The Book Thief by Markus Zusak December 5

7. December 19 is "Look for an Evergreen Day". A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies by Ellen Cooney December 31

8. During the month of December (at least partly), Hannuakah takes place. The Magician by Michael Scott December 21

9. December 25th is Christmas. The Man Who Invented Christmas: How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford December 28

10. December 26th is the start of Kwanzaa. Kwanzaa was started in 1966 and is celebrated over 7 days. The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson December 11

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Apothecary by Maile Meloy The Impossible Knife of Memory by Laurie Halse Anderson The Camelot Spell (Grail Quest, #1) by Laura Anne Gilman The Apprentices by Maile Meloy The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2) by Michael Scott Murder at Midnight (Midnight Magic, #1) by Avi The Man Who Invented Christmas How Charles Dickens's A Christmas Carol Rescued His Career and Revived Our Holiday Spirits by Les Standiford A Private Hotel for Gentle Ladies by Ellen Cooney Lost and Found Unexpected Revelations About Food and Money by Geneen Roth