readers advisory for all discussion

so ask already!!! > Graphic Novel for Little Girl

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
Fluffy. this book is so cute and so charming, and it is the kind of thing that both children and adults can enjoy.

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) Has she seen Avatar The Last Airbender? Great characters of both genders, good action, cool world. My kids really like the Avatar graphic novels. The Bone series is popular with some of my kids friends. My Little Pony has some fun ones, if she likes that show.

message 3: by Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (last edited Nov 28, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) Also, there is Amulet, Vol. 1 The Stonekeeper (Amulet, #1) by Kazu Kibuishi . It's darker.

Also, Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1) by Ted Naifeh was action, adventure, strong girl MC.

Personal Demons (Hopeless, Maine, #1) by Nimue Brown was dark too. Depends on if she likes creepy tales.

message 4: by karen, future RA queen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) | 1315 comments Mod
it's not suggestive - the father is dating fluffy's teacher and seeing her there confuses fluffy, but there's not anything graphic

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 24 comments Bone?

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) Sophie wrote: "Bone?"

That's the one. I'm going to see if my library has it for my daughter to try. I'll read it first, as usual. :)

Kathy (Kindle-aholic) (kindleaholic) The Book Baroness wrote: "Oops I forgot to mention that the protagonist should be either female or animal.

Kindle-aholic, in some ways she's a bit of a mature 10 yr old and I think she would find My Little Pony too young, ..."

Probably not My Little Pony then, although the current version definitely has an edge missing from the 80s version.

While technically Avatar has a male lead, it really feels more like an ensemble cast. Also has some of the best female characters, both heroes and villains. Legend of Korra is phenomenal too.

Hope you are able to find something she loves.

message 8: by Mir (new)

Mir | 191 comments Gunnerkrigg Court is awesome. The main characters are two smart girls and a supernatural fox creature. There is nothing suggestive or scary in it, but there may be an occasional word or concept that she might not know.

A couple easier ones that are also good with girl characters are Giants Beware! and Zita the Spacegirl.

message 9: by Som (new)