Afro Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2014 Group Read Nominations > February 2014 - West/Central Africa; and South America and Caribbean

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ConnorD (last edited Dec 13, 2013 02:21AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Please nominate two books for the February 2014 group read. (1) from authors of African descent from South America and Carribean; and (2) authors of African descent from from West/Central Africa

Please note the following countries are included in this Africa grouping
West Africa --- (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Equatorial Guinea, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo)
Central Africa --- (Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Gabon, Sao Tome and Principe)

WEST AND CENTRAL AFRICA NOMINATIONS
The Famished Road by Ben Okri - Nigeria
Diplomatic Pounds & Other Stories by Ama Ata Aidoo
So Long a Letter
Foreign Gods, Inc.

SOUTH AMERICA & CARIBBEAN
From Harvey River: A Memoir of My Mother and Her Island - Jamaica
Benedita Da Silva: An Afro-Brazilian Woman's Story of Politics and Love by Benedita Da Silva
They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America
Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus

message 2: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments The Famished Road by Ben Okri for West Africa (Nigerian author)

And From Harvey River: A Memoir of My Mother and Her Island by Lorna Goodison - from Jamaica

message 3: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments I have not read any works from this author, so I nominate Diplomatic Pounds & Other Stories by Ama Ata Aidoo from Ghana -- for the AFrica read

and

Benedita Da Silva: An Afro-Brazilian Woman's Story of Politics and Love by Benedita Da Silva - not that easy to find English works by Brazilians because of the language barrier
Any one know of other authors?

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 02, 2013 05:06AM) (new)

Hi Connor,

I truly have no idea, but I looked up Brazillian authors and found
Cahuna- Os Sertões' Rebellion in the Backlands
Found it via Wikipedia and then read the reviews here on goodreds

message 6: by ConnorD (last edited Dec 02, 2013 05:16AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Thanks Denise,
Brazil has the largest diaspora population. Only Nigeria has more Africans than Brazil! So i figured we need to find some literature from there to really connect with all of the diaspora across the world, given the size of the population

Language is such a barrier!
Let me check out that author - thanks for the reference

message 7: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Denise, this is the book you referred to -- He is not Afro-Brazilian. Actually would be quite interesting to read what the write up on goodreads says about his influences (Darwinism) ..

Rebellion in the Backlands by Euclides da Cunha

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you. i read more about it when i got to work today. I looked it up so early this morning, and i spelled his name wrong lol. It was fun to search and find anything in English and that was all i found at the time.

message 9: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments So Long a Letterby Mariama Ba (Senegal) is a wonderful book. It was the first book by an African woman that I ever read.

message 10: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments I nominate "They Came Before Columbus: The African Presence in Ancient America" by Ivan Van Sertima who is from the Caribbean.
Ivan Van Sertima
They Came Before Columbus The African Presence in Ancient America by Ivan Van Sertima
And here is a great video of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dIwh...

message 11: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I nominate for West African writer:

Foreign Gods, Inc. by Okey Ndibe

Foreign Gods, Inc. by Okey Ndibe

For writer of African descent from South America:

Child of the Dark The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus by Carolina Maria de Jesus

Child of the Dark: The Diary of Carolina Maria de Jesus by Carolina Maria de Jesus

message 12: by Dominique (last edited Dec 16, 2013 04:12AM) (new)

Dominique | 26 comments The Famished Road by Ben Okri and From Harvey River: A Memoir of My Mother and Her Island by Lorna Goodison

message 13: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments The nominations for February 2014 will close on 19 December, please get your nominations in for West Africa and South America/Caribbean

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.