Afro Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2014 Group Read Nominations > January 2014 - Southern Africa and USA

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ConnorD (last edited Dec 16, 2013 02:58AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Please nominate two books for the January 2014 group read from (1) African authors from Southern Africa, and (2) Authors of African descent from USA

Please note Southern African countries are:
Angola, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Lesotho, Botswana, Mozambique, Zambia, Malawi and Democratic Republic Congo;

(note island states are considered in April 2014)

SOUTHERN AFRICA - Nominations
Long Walk to Freedom- SA
African Delights
Fearless Fighter: The Life of Vera Chirwa
Sometimes there is a Void – Memoirs of an Outsider
The Hangman`s Replacement: Sprout of Disruption - ABNA 2013 Entry

USA --- Nominations
Black Boy
Dossouye: the Dancers of Mulukau
Exodus Village
Padre!: A Place Whose Rules Rearrange Your Own
Kindred
A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body and Spirit

Winners are
Padre! A Place Whose Rules Rearrange Your Own by Raven Moore and Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I would like to nominate Long Walk to Freedom, The Autobiography of Nelson Mandela

And Black Boy by Richard Wright

I have always wanted to read both books with a group. Richard Wrights Native son
is a favorite of mine. And Mandela well I am always filled with love for his voice. His spirit even from far away is soothing.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 5 comments For a South African author I would like to nominate Long Walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela.
From the US I would like to nominate Exodus Village by Linda Pace Samuel and Dossouye: the Dancers of Mulukau by Charles R. Saunders.

message 4: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Thanks for the nominations Andrew and Denise - I have added the books to the list above

message 5: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments I nominate "Padre!: A place whose rules rearrange your own" by me, Raven Moore. I am an African-American author and this story takes place in Cote d'Ivoire, West Africa. http://booksbyraven.com/shop

message 6: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments The nomination list looks very lonely for Southern Africa books!

***Please note that nominations will close on Sunday 8 December for the January Group read so please nominate books from any of the Southern African countries!

message 7: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments I have just discovered this book from Malawi
( anyone read this yet? )

Then
African Delights from South Africa

message 9: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments Kindred is good.

message 10: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments Connor Dlamini wrote: "I have just discovered this book from Malawi

Then
African Delights from South Africa"

The Vera Chirwa book is on my list, Connor. I'm a huge fan, she's a phenomenal woman!

message 11: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments This is a book by a Zimbabwean author that I read some months ago. It was brilliant. The Hangman`s Replacement: Sprout of Disruption - ABNA 2013 Entryby Taona Dumisani Chiveneko. The author is also on Goodreads.

message 12: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments I would like to nominate A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit. By me Dr.Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael http://modo.ly/19XxbFv
African American from Israel and Senegal

message 13: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Dr. wrote: "I would like to nominate A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit. By me Dr.Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael http://modo.ly/19XxbFv
African American from Israel and Senegal"

Hi Yeremiyah,
The January focus is Southern Africa and USA, please look at either diaspora (Europe) or West Africa (February 2014). Each month we travel to different regions in Africa and around the world

message 14: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments I am in the USA New York to be specific been here almost all my life

message 15: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Dr. wrote: "I am in the USA New York to be specific been here almost all my life"

Apologies and thanks for the clarification Yeremiyah, I was guided by your comment that you from Israel / Senegal, but now see the African American (before that)
Will add your book to the nominations list

message 16: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments Thank you Donald

message 17: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Rowena wrote: "Connor Dlamini wrote: "I have just discovered this book from Malawi

Then
African Delights from ..."

Rowena, Thank you so glad someone in the group knows the author - would love to read this book
It just seems a fascinating read

message 18: by Carlene (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Thank you for all your nominations. This process is officially closed. Please see polls which will be running from 9/12 - 14/12 with the nominees.

message 19: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments Connor Dlamini wrote: "Rowena wrote: "Connor Dlamini wrote: "I have just discovered this book from Malawi

Then
[book:African Delights|..."

It really does, Connor. What happened to her husband is a tragedy.

message 20: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments Hello group there is some mistake in the listing of my book here is the ISBN that is supposed to be listed for nomination 149214651X "A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit" the one listed is the companion journal

message 21: by Chris (new)

Chris | 1 comments I would like to nominate "Padre!: A place whose rules rearrange your own" by Raven Moore. She is a new author who gets on my nerves sometimes yet ultimately is committed to deeper truths that press on me to explore my own questions further. My second nomination goes to "Kindred" by Octavia Butler. My father loaned it to me and thanks to this poll I have an opportunity to read it and share my experience with others.

message 22: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments Chris! Oh my God! hahaha! You get on my nerves too! : P smh

message 23: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments The nominations for January are closed. Please go to the polls and vote there. Both Kindred and Padre are nominated. Please vote

Please note: NOMINATIONS ARE CLOSED!

message 24: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments I am happy to see that we have a few new members today. Welcome!

** Thank you too for voting. We also would ask all members who have just joined and are voting today, to also participate in the current (December) book discussions for The Sabi and Buck.

***I notice too that many are only voting for the USA category. There are two polls out today, so please vote in both (USA & Southern Africa)

***Introductions would be most welcome too (Under the introduction folder) so that we can get to know members

Welcome and we look forward to your participation

Authors, we also look forward to your participation in the book discussions for December 2013

Thanks for your understanding

message 25: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments I have "Buck" on my to-read list but I'm still finishing up this book below by Ivan Van Sertima.
They Came Before Columbus The African Presence in Ancient America by Ivan Van Sertima

message 26: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments Dr. wrote: "I would like to nominate A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit. By me Dr.Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael http://modo.ly/19XxbFv

Hello group there is some mistake in the listing of my book here is the ISBN that is supposed to be listed for nomination 149214651X "A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit" the one listed is the companion journal

message 27: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Dr. wrote: "Dr. wrote: "I would like to nominate A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit. By me Dr.Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael http://modo.ly/19XxbFv

Hello g..."

Thanks for pointing this out Dr, the book has been corrected on the polls

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.