Afro Book Club discussion

2013 Group Reads > December 2013 Group Read

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ConnorD (last edited Dec 16, 2013 02:56AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Please nominate books for discussion in December 2013
For the first Group Read please nominate books that were published in 2013, as this is the last month of the year.
You may nominate books from African authors in Africa; and books from African authors anywhere in the diaspora
A brief motivation for the book is helpful in assisting members to choose the book of the month -- so please do so

Nominations from Any African Country (Dec 2013)
Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Nigeria
We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo - Zimbabwe
The Sabi by Diane Brown - South Africa

Nominations from Any African Diaspora Author (Dec 2013)
The Hired Man by Aminatta Forna - Glasgow
Claire of the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat - Haiti
Buck: A Memoir by MK Asante - USA

The winner for Africa is
The Sabi by Diane Brown by South African author Diane Brown

The winner for Diaspora is
Buck A Memoir by M.K. Asante by USA author M.K. Asante

message 3: by Carlene (last edited Nov 30, 2013 02:44PM) (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Hi,

Please see below my nominations for December.

1. We Need New Names by NoViolet Bulawayo (Zimbabwe)
2. The Hired Man by Aminatta Forna (Glasgow).

Carlene.

message 4: by Chrislene (new)

Chrislene I would like to nominate: Claire of the Sea Light by Edwidge Danticat and Buck by MK Asante. Both of these books have been sitting in my tablet waiting for me to turn the page. I have seen Edwidge do a reading of this book last month and I heard the Fresh Air interview of MK Asante (check it out).

message 5: by Chrislene (new)

Chrislene Edwidge Danticat (Haiti)

MK Asante (U.S.)

message 6: by ConnorD (last edited Nov 30, 2013 09:14PM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments I nominate for books published in 2013,
In Africa -- The Sabi

For Diaspora -- I like Chrislene's nomination for Buck: A Memoir - i see also written a book about post Hip Hop Generation. Is that the same author Chrislene?

I am liking memoirs ... very much

Does anyone know if there are great African-inspired fantasy works that were published in 2013 by authors of African descent?

message 7: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments The nomination process for books for the December reads will be open until Monday (2/12/2013) 4PM (CAT). The poll will then be opened from (2/12/2013 - 5PM [CAT]) until (3/12/2013 5PM [CAT]).

message 8: by Chrislene (new)

Chrislene Hi Connor! yes that's the book...thanks for adding the tag to it.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

The Sabi, Diane Brown

Claire of the sea light, Edwidge Danticat-love her books.

message 10: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments I nominate "Padre!: A place whose rules rearrange your own" by me, Raven Moore. I am an African-American author and this story takes place in Cote d'Ivoire. http://booksbyraven.com

message 11: by Carlene (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Raven wrote: "I nominate "Padre!: A place whose rules rearrange your own" by me, Raven Moore. I am an African-American author and this story takes place in Cote d'Ivoire. http://booksbyraven.com"

Hi Raven, the nominations closed 30 minutes ago but you can you put under next months nominations as the category is Southern Africa & USA :) Sounds interesting!

message 12: by Carlene (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Please see the polls for the books that were nominated.

tx

Carlene

message 13: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Dear Raven,

Please tell us about yourself and your books in the Author's corner discussion folder

Please also visit the Book Blogger and Book Review section, where reviewers and bloggers are setting up folders .. you could tell them about your books too

It will be great to have you participate in our discussion topics as well, Welcome

Regards