Afro Book Club discussion

Authors Corner > Author's please introduce yourself and tell us about your books

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ConnorD (last edited Feb 19, 2014 08:58AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Dear Authors
Please let us know more about you and the books you write. Also indicate where you are writing from (which country) and the genre's that you cover.

AUTHORS IN THIS GROUP - click on image to visit author profiles
Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael James Amoateng Diane Brown Raven Moore Quanie Miller Dahlia Savage Michelle Lindo-Rice
N.K. Read

message 2: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments About the Author
Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael M.D. (A.M.), Ph.D is a board-certified Naturopathic doctor specializing in the treatment of various chronic illness. He has earned his Naturopathic doctorate M.D. (A.M.) from the Indian Board of Alternative Medicines (Internationally Recognized Legally Constituted Largest Institution of Holistic Medicine). He heals by harnessing nature's medicinal plants and other natural substances and combining them with diet, exercise, and cleansing, as well as incorporating principles of spiritual and psychological transformation. Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael has years of professional training to provide you with an easy to understand description of how homeopathy can be used to treat supposedly "incurable conditions". he knows about the history, philosophy and practice of homeopathy, and how it will cure various health problems. Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael also holds a Doctor of Philosophy Ph.D., in Comparative Religions, A Bachelors of Metaphysical Science, B.Msc.,and a Masters of Metaphysical Science,M.Msc, in Metaphysical Psychology, Pastoral Psychology both from The University of Sedona in Arizona. Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael is the author of the best selling book "A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body and Spirit." Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael is also the composer of "Becoming Better Mind Body & Spirit" Vol.1-3 meditation CD's available here http://bit.ly/11iSYJE Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael's desire is for all people to be whole and complete in mind; body and spirit.

message 3: by Yeremiyah (last edited Nov 28, 2013 01:59PM) (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments About the Book:

A Journey Within: Becoming Better Mind Body And Spirit

You are reading this now because you don’t want to be a passive bystander in your own life, so please don’t passively read this. You want to change and become a new you. Actually, you don’t need a new you. You need to uncover the old you that got buried under all the life experiences. You are still there. There are ways to uncover the layers of clutter that clogged your mind, body, and spirit. This book is divided into four sections: Part I Mind, Part II Body, Part III Spirit and Part IV the Whole of You. After each chapter, in each section, there will be lessons to do after each reading. Complete the exercises that are explained, take the time to actually work through them, think about them, contemplate them and incorporate them into your life. Do one at a time, once you’ve mastered one then move onto the next. The book is ordered in a very specific, methodical and well thought out plan. I challenge you as you read this to truly embrace the best parts of you and to strive each day to be a better version of yourself, the version you were intended to be. The fact that you’re already reading this means that you know more lies within you I encourage you to release your fears, regrets and disappointments and understand that the person you are meant to be, your most valuable self lies only a page away.

You can get all the books in this series here http://on.fb.me/18mTvvv

message 4: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Welcome Yeremiyah and thanks for sharing your books with us. I will be sure to check them out - they sound quite informative and transformative too!

message 5: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments Thank you so very much Donald for the kind words. I'm looking forward to this book club

message 6: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Hi, I think I wrote on the wrong thread not knowing this one existed for authors. I am Dr. James Amoateng a Dental Surgeon and author from Ghana. I have two books in my name and another two anthologies together with author friends from the authors social media support group(#ASMSG) I write poetry and action thrillers. I live in Kumasi Ghana.
My website is http://sbpra.com/jamesamoateng/
My books are also listed on amazon
www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Island-James-Amo...
www.amazon.com/Lamentations-Siakaman-...

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments Hi, I am from South Africa,
my book is The Sabi

It was published in July 2013 and explores life growing up in South Africa, with strong themes of race, violence, colorism, love and acceptance

James and Yeremiyah - I look forward to finding out more about your books

message 8: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Feel free to download the ASMSG anthologies. They are free and from authors across the globe. A world of verse and a world of romance.I feature some of my poetry and fiction
www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/354...
https://www.smashwords.com/extreader/...

message 9: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Dr. wrote: "About the Author
Dr. Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael M.D. (A.M.), Ph.D is a board-certified Naturopathic doctor specializing in the treatment of various chronic illness. He has earned his Naturopathic doctor..."

Dear Yeremiyah
Please let us know which country you are from so we can update the Author list above

message 10: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments James wrote: "Feel free to download the ASMSG anthologies. They are free and from authors across the globe. A world of verse and a world of romance.I feature some of my poetry and fiction
www.smashwords.com/extr..."

Dear James,
Do you have a twitter handle? If so please provide so we can have update the Author list above

message 11: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments Hello!

I am from New Jersey, U.S.A. and I am an African-American, nonfiction author. Raven Moore

I work as a Japanese translator but my passion is identity + humor - how to explore difficult, intense, or taboo topics while keeping the reader entertained.

I seek to inspire change by writing in ways that connect the reader with real people. My first book "Padre!: A place whose rules rearrange your own" is not about identity from your point of view or mine, it's from the people I lived with for 2 years as a Peace Corps Volunteer and it will make you laugh out loud when you least expect it. http://booksbyraven.com Padre!: A Place Whose Rules Rearrange Your Own

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments Hi Raven

Thanks for sharing. I like the write up you did about your book here. Nice to meet fellow authors on good reads and in this book club

Would love to read your book
Diane

message 13: by Raven (last edited Dec 02, 2013 12:48PM) (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments Hi Diane!

If you use iTunes, I would love to give you a promo code for a free copy of my book. Let me know! And anyone else as well - I only have a few to give. First come, first serve : )

Sincerely,
Raven

message 14: by Diane (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments Raven, so very sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
I have not had much time to be on goodreads lately, with writing deadlines and getting ready for relocation!

No, I am not on iTunes unfortunately
Thanks for the offer though,
& I do look forward to reading your book

message 15: by Raven (new)

Raven Moore (RavenMoore) | 31 comments No problem!

message 16: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Connor Dlamini wrote: "James wrote: "Feel free to download the ASMSG anthologies. They are free and from authors across the globe. A world of verse and a world of romance.I feature some of my poetry and fiction
www.smash..."
No I don't

message 17: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments Here are all my book listed on amazon https://www.facebook.com/DrYBenyisrae...

message 18: by Quanie (last edited Dec 06, 2013 06:26AM) (new)

Quanie (quaniemiller) Hi All, I'm a U.S. author. I love making people laugh so I write comedy, but I also love keeping them on the edge of their seats so I write paranormal mysteries as well. My first novel is a comedy called It Ain't Easy Being Jazzy and my next novel, a paranormal one, will be out next September. You can find out more about me over at http://www.quaniemiller.com or at over at my blog, http://www.quanietalkswriting.com. Great to meet you all and good luck to you!

message 19: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments James wrote: "Connor Dlamini wrote: "James wrote: "Feel free to download the ASMSG anthologies. They are free and from authors across the globe. A world of verse and a world of romance.I feature some of my poetr..." @AmoatengJames1

message 20: by Dahlia (new)

Dahlia Savage (DahliaSavage) | 1 comments Hello everyone. I'm a US writer, currently residing in Florida but I'm a Michigan girl. My genre is contemporary women's fiction and I have a novella, Indiscretion, that is set for release on January 21, 2014. You can find more information about me and the book on www.dahliasavage.com
I'm looking forward to the interaction here on this group! Happy holidays.

message 21: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Welcome Dahlia
Its nice to have you here. Please feel free to comment on the various threads and participate in the current Book of the Month reads The Sabi from South Africa and Buck from USA

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lindo-Rice Hi, My name is Michellle Lindo-Rice and I'm a Christian fiction author. I write women's fiction for Urban Books. I have two novels published. Sing A New Song and Walk A Straight Line. You can find out more about me and my books at www.michellelindorice.com

message 23: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Welcome Michelle, good to have you o Afro Book Club.

message 24: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lindo-Rice Thanks!

message 25: by N.K. (new)

N.K. Read (nkread) | 3 comments Hi!

I'm N.K. Read.N.K. Read.

I was born and bred in Kenya, and now live between Nairobi and Sydney, Australia. I'm a storyteller and journalist who has written for several publications and news outlets including the Kenya Television Network, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Guardian UK as well as directed three documentary films, two of which played across cinemas in Australia.
My book Children of Saba was published recently. Feel free to find out more about me and my writing at www.Afrikkana.com.

I look forward to great inspiration and conversation here!

message 26: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Welcome N.K.

message 27: by Ugbomeh (new)

Ugbomeh (timzygar) | 8 comments TIDINGS OF INTELLECT

From the mid night oil
In a class of tick-tack rooms
Soar to the pinnacle of pitch
Narrow in flip wings
The burning seams in dawn
To hold grim of desires
Right in sleekly thumbs
A stretch of the gums
Was dock-yard of tinge brains
Through the bath of golden ribbons

Yet!

No longer at ease part
As swells of pears vision
In dark slates of torrent
To force out a tail in reefer
By twinkling stars
From the leap of clouds
Arise in hip-piles
To ding! The dong!
A song of hooping birds
After the dance,
Of balanced scales
You aspire as glaciers

message 28: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Interesting poem. Have you ever read the work of the Martiniquean "Negritude" poet Aime Cesaire? You may like his work.

message 29: by Ugbomeh (new)

Ugbomeh (timzygar) | 8 comments THANKS LESLIE, I WILL CHECK.....

message 30: by K.N. (last edited Sep 13, 2014 03:40PM) (new)

K.N. Chimbiri (wwwgoodreadscomkandace_chimbiri) K.N. Chimbiri Secrets of the Afro Comb by K.N. Chimbiri Step Back In Time To Ancient Kush Activity Book by K.N. Chimbiri The Story of Early Ancient Egypt by K.N. Chimbiri

Hello there,
I'm Kandace. Children's author. I'm from Barbados but currently live in London.
I write and publish the books which would be there if the world was fair. I'm passionate about creating books that are good for children of African descent.
My websites are:
www.black-children-reading.com
www.goldendestiny.co.uk
www.facebook.com/goldendestiny
Kind regards,
Kandace

message 31: by Amaka (new)

Amaka Lily | 1 comments Hello everyone,

My name is Amaka Lily. I grew up in Nigeria and currently reside in New Jersey.
A couple of months ago, I published my debut Novel: Shifting Allegiances- A Nigerian's story of Nigeria, America & Culture Shock. It is currently available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and Books A Million.

I am currently participating in a Goodreads giveaway that ends October 30th. I am giving away 20 autographed copies for free. Here is more information about my book and the giveaway

My book:
http://www.amazon.com/Shifting-Allegi...

Goodreads giveaway:
https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sh...

Thank you for this opportunity.

message 32: by Leo (new)

Leo Passaportis (leopassaportis) | 2 comments Hello good people,

My name is Leo Anthony. I was raised in Zimbabwe but in recent years have joined the diaspora and find myself in the UK. Like so many others this move has been endowed with its own set of challenges. Some of them are easy to identify with, others perhaps not so.
I was born in 1979 the year before Rhodesia was transformed into Zimbabwe. My generation which succeeded the bleak years the 70's civil war in that nation was full of hope, and in many ways still is. I grew up in a multiethnic educational system - imperfect, but certainly a few steps ahead of contemporary South Africa.
If you would like a free ePub or pdf copy of my book I would be happy to send it your way. Just message me.

Here is the link to the Kindle version:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairly-Honest...
Between Two Worlds The Account of a Jet-setting Vagrant by Leo Anthony

message 33: by Eugenie (new)

Eugenie (gracechild) | 13 comments Hi there - I'm Eugenie Laverne Mitchell. I write true to life novels from a Christian perspective.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

My fourth novel "The Yard Girl - Sienna's Story" was recently released. The controversial subject of racial identity crops up in this novel. Hope you check it out - "What is a Colour?"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 34: by Adeboye (new)

Adeboye Oluwajuyitan (befibrillator) | 1 comments The Curtain Raiser

My new chapbook (a prelude to a memoir) was released recently.

This book of poems covers varying topics; from Racism and discrimination all the way to falling in love.

It is essentially a prelude to the Author's upcoming memoir, 'The Miracle Mind and a World Beneath What we See' which will touch up on many moments of the eight years he spent living in Ukraine as a foreigner, as well as his battle with different predicaments in the form of illnesses (ailments which disregarded the stethoscope; yes, he is a Doctor) and others.

The Curtain Raiser is divided into five sections with the first about the Author's frequency or things he admires; a section that includes a Nigerian poem in his native language, 'Yoruba' about how the country will be better, as well as poems about Lagos, his mother, Manchester united and others. The second section is about things he dislikes, including the aforementioned Xenophobia. The third is about his view on the 'realities' that we live in. The fourth section is about a love story while the fifth is about a new dawn.

There is a lot of connotation, not just with the words, but also with the bold pictures on all the pages. There is also a poem (a letter) in the Russian language which concludes the section about the love story.

Please, check it out. Thanks.

message 35: by Tony (new)

Tony Debajo (debajo) | 1 comments Hi everyone,

My name is Tony Debajo and I am a civil engineer by profession, but I have recently released my debut novel titled In The Shadow of Ruin. It’s an adult fiction (historical fiction and folklore) novel.

Set in ancient Nigeria, Jide Adelani is the king of the most renowned tribe in the lands that claim to trace their lineage directly from the gods. His reign is threatened by his half-brother, Olise, whose mother is known to belong to a cult of witches. Jide is forced to abandon his morality and seek support from men of the underworld, at the risk of provoking the wrath of the deities, to save his kingdom. Jide’s three sons, separated by their city in flames, are hunted by Olise, as he sweeps through the war-ravaged lands, purging it of the remnants of Jide’s fading alliances. Each of Jide’s sons’ destinies is irrevocably altered by the events they bear witness to. Their journeys are beset with mystery, treachery and the unseen hands of the capricious gods, and take them across diverse and hostile landscapes, while their father fights to preserve what little of his legacy and dignity remain to him.

In The Shadow of Ruin is the first book in a series called The Fractured Kingdom and offers a glimpse into pre-colonial Nigeria and the tribes of the time. If you are a fan of an immersive story filled with fast-paced action, rich in culture, tradition, folklore and interspersed with a dose of magic, check it out.

Thank you.

Regards
Tony