Superheroes and Comic Book Club discussion

Comic Book Discussions > Who's your favorite villain, and why?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Lahti | 30 comments I'll always be partial to the Joker because his because he was never out to try to take over the world. His goals (and methods) were always completely random; he was always just the nutter out to do something vile. I've got to admit, too, that Heath Ledger's Joker is my favorite, but there will always be a soft spot in my heart for Caesar Romero's Joker and Mark Hamill nailed the voice.

message 2: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2013 02:41PM) (new)

Jim (jkmfilms) | 787 comments Mod
It's hard not to want to agree - though the comic book fan side of me wants to call out something more obscure.

But, the Joker done right is amazing.

Remember Underworld Unleashed? It was largely forgettable, but the devil (Neron, something like him, I think) allows the villains to trade their souls for something. Of course, most of the villains pick some kind of power, but this exchange characterized Joker, in my mind:

Lex Luthor: You sold your soul for a box of cigars?!?
Joker: They're Cubans!

His motivations for doing something are completely different than any other villain's.

message 3: by Steven (last edited Dec 02, 2013 02:27PM) (new)

Steven Morton | 181 comments Jim wrote: "It's hard not to want to agree - though the comic book fan side of me wants to call out something more obscure.

But, the Joker done right is amazing.

Remember Underworld Unleashed? It was large..."

I hate to join the bandwagon but you are both right the Joker is my favorite. His overwhelming love/hatred for Batman is my favorite trait for him. His origin story which we will never truly know (though if you check out Scott Snyder's Zero Year story arc he does a kick butt job on introducing the Joker and also the Riddler). The Joker is a timeless villian and is up there with Professor Moriatry in terms of favorite Rogues. If I had to pick a second villian though it would have to be Dr. Doom; how smart he is but also so self destructive at the same time.

message 4: by Eric (new)

Eric Lahti | 30 comments Oh, man. I'd completely forgotten about Professor Moriarty. He's a classic villain!

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric Lahti | 30 comments So, that begs the question: Would you consider Professor Moriarty a supervillain in the modern sense of the word? Would The Shadow or Doc Savage be considered super heroes?

message 6: by Lawrenz (new)

Lawrenz Lano (lawrenzlano) | 5 comments I think Magneto is my favourite villain because you can't help but sympathize with him. You may not like the way he does things but you understand his reason for doing as he does.

message 7: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 40 comments The Joker is way overexposed -- thank goodness that Heath Ledger has ensured that he won't be in any film Batman for a while. You know who is fun, is the villains from Earth-3 -- the alternate universe where Evil Is King. The JLA miniseries was just superb. Here's the entry on Owl-man: http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Owlman_%...

message 8: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Brenda wrote: "The Joker is way overexposed -- thank goodness that Heath Ledger has ensured that he won't be in any film Batman for a while. You know who is fun, is the villains from Earth-3 -- the alternate univ..."

I so agree! Owlman is nuts in what the heck will he do next way... Are you following his story in the Forever Evil Storyline right now? I can't wait to find out what he's plotting.

message 9: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 40 comments No I haven't -- should I? Is it good?

message 10: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Brenda wrote: "No I haven't -- should I? Is it good?"

Oh, yeah! Justice League #25 that just came out this week had his origin story in it. I love the art. Then over in the Forever Evil comic he's got Nightwing and he has plans for him. -_- I have to say I'm a bit worried about Nightwing... my favorite character. ;-)

message 11: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 40 comments I hate these mega series that wander all over many titles -- it's hard to keep up with them. I am tempted to wait for them to be collected in GN format.

message 12: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Brenda wrote: "I hate these mega series that wander all over many titles -- it's hard to keep up with them. I am tempted to wait for them to be collected in GN format."

I finally had to give up on monthly comics, as much as I love them. Not enough $ and not enough time.

So I end up picking up the TPBs, too. I really like to read them that way anyway.

message 13: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 40 comments The big argument against that is that, if nobody buys the monthly issues, they won't ever put them together into GN format. On the other hand, the current format is very annoying. I have vision issues, and have switched over to reading comics on my Ipad. It is so great!

message 14: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing To be honest I rarely buy issued comics anymore. I still collect graphic novels when I can ;-), and usually play catch up at Christmas when I get them as gifts. I'm in that boat too where I don't have the money to buy all the stories I'd like to read. I would never pay for digital comics at the current prices, I'd embrace it wholeheartedly if they'd do something like you pay $20 a month and get to read all of the titles for the month.

message 15: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Brenda wrote: "The big argument against that is that, if nobody buys the monthly issues, they won't ever put them together into GN format. On the other hand, the current format is very annoying. I have vision iss..."

I know you're right, Brenda - but every time I get back into picking up monthlies, it lasts for a few months, money and time get tight, and I drop off. I've probably done that 10 times in the last 20 years. Not sure how to solve it.

message 16: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

Natalie wrote: "...I would never pay for digital comics at the current prices, I'd embrace it wholeheartedly if they'd do something like you pay $20 a month and get to read all of the titles for the month."

I have the same issue, Natalie. It's almost to the point where they cost nearly as much as a physical copy. And probably more than a collected set.

message 17: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (brendaclough) | 40 comments Switching to e-comics allowed me to prune all the marginal titles from my list.

message 18: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Yeah, for me there are a lot of problems with digital comics. You save what? Maybe $1 an issue? Then after you've read it you having nothing that you can loan to a friend, sale, or trade. When money is an issue TPB are the way to go. Most of the time you can pick them up 20% off of cover price or better too...

Although you will always be behind on the storylines...

message 19: by Stabbing (new)

Stabbing Oh back on topic, I don't know if I currently have a favorite villain now but I think if you had asked me as kid I probably would have said Sabertooth... I was crazy about Wolverine back in the late 80's and I loved the whole I'm your daddy stuff he used to taunt Wolverine with.

message 20: by Monti (new)

Monti | 15 comments Natalie wrote: "Oh back on topic, I don't know if I currently have a favorite villain now but I think if you had asked me as kid I probably would have said Sabertooth... I was crazy about Wolverine back in the la..."

I've always liked Sabretooth. There was a great issue of Daredevil that had him in it. Volume 1 issue 238.

I have to admit a fondness for the Joker, despite his over exposure.

Being a Daredevil fan, I've always liked Bullseye. I remember as a kid, I loved the whole, can pick anything up and throw it at someone and kill them with it.

message 21: by Madison (new)

Madison (jewelsavestheday) | 13 comments Forever Evil is pretty kick-ass so far. I think I really like it because it has helped to put the spotlight on my (current) favorite villain - Captain Cold (well, and the rest of the Rogues, too).

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis Lefelhoc | 4 comments Negan from the Walking Dead (Comic) is a good bad guy. I really feel like I don't like him, which is what makes him good.

I like lots of other bad guys like Sabretooth, Magneto, Venom, Joker, Doomsday etc... But if I had to pick just one, it would probably be Darth Vader.

message 23: by Eric (new)

Eric Lahti | 30 comments I just reread Transmetropolitan and have to admit the Smiler is one heck of a bad guy. I mean, there is absolutely nothing redeeming about him. He may not qualify as a super villain in the technical sense, but he's evil as the day is long.

message 24: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 31 comments Harley Quinn and Catwoman. Though for Catwoman, that was due to Brubaker's run, and she isn't exactly a villain in those comics.

I've mostly liked the series of graphic novels I've read with Quinn separated from the Joker. Plus, the Joker sold his soul for cigars? The devil kicked Quinn out of hell. (She died. Went to hell. Demons kept trying to do stuff to her, but she kept making them question their evilness and generally go insane).

message 25: by Eddie (new)

Eddie | 70 comments While me and Marvel have broke up...I am always loved when Dr. Doom showed up.
Lex Luther close second (been enjoying JLA current run).

message 26: by Salvatore (new)

Salvatore | 34 comments Deathstroke is always the best and his New 52 run has been great. Eddie, Dr. Doom is going to be in the new Fantastic Four movie but unfortunately he will probably be a dweeb on a computer. :(

message 27: by Eddie (new)

Eddie | 70 comments The new FF movie may be the 1st superhero film I will never see. I have such a negative attitude towards the movie. Lets do a FF movie but change it to something different. I know I am old. The new "dangerous" Dr. Doom the blogger. I know I know the movie is not out yet. sigh

message 28: by Ben (last edited Jan 30, 2015 09:59PM) (new)

Ben Langdon On the positive side, if this FF reboot actually is good and well received, then you can look forward to more of them. Superhero sequels are the in-thing. Imagine what they could do with the FF if it does pick up film fans.

On a side note, I am really looking forward to Ant Man.

As for favourite villains... as a fan of the X-Men I feel a bit bad that I can't think of decent villains. Maybe the 1980s Hellfire Club. Definitely not Mister Sinister.

Hmm, I liked the Marauders from the Mutant Massacre and issues leading up to Inferno.

Mystique can be done well.

message 29: by David (last edited Feb 01, 2015 06:47AM) (new)

David | 17 comments Ben wrote: "... As for favourite villains... as a fan of the X-Men I feel a bit bad that I can't think of decent villains. Maybe the 1980s Hellfire Club. Definitely not Mister Sinister."
What about Magneto?

message 30: by Ben (new)

Ben Langdon David wrote: "Ben wrote: "... As for favourite villains... as a fan of the X-Men I feel a bit bad that I can't think of decent villains. Maybe the 1980s Hellfire Club. Definitely not Mister Sinister."
What about..."

Hmmm, sometimes. I like his brutality when he's trying to be good. Uncanny X-Men when he was hanging around Rogue in the Savage Land was good.

message 31: by Jawairia (new)

Jawairia Hmmmmm probably ras al ghul.I dont now i think cause hes a little different and has a grandson who is batmans son...i guess.

message 32: by David (last edited Feb 02, 2015 04:11PM) (new)

David | 17 comments Ben wrote: "David wrote: "Ben wrote: "... As for favourite villains... as a fan of the X-Men I feel a bit bad that I can't think of decent villains. Maybe the 1980s Hellfire Club. Definitely not Mister Siniste..."
Fair enough.
Anyways, comic book wise, I've always been partial to Magneto myself. I like how complex, or even sympathetic, he can be. And I also enjoy his brutality. Outside of comics it's hard to pick a favorite, maybe Khan from Star Trek...

message 33: by Ben (new)

Ben Langdon Outside of comics... I'd probably choose (Darth) Threepio from the Star Wars films. So evil and annoying!

Nah, seriously, maybe Bob from Twin Peaks... he gave me plenty of nightmares.

And another comics/film/TV tie-in (surprise) villain I grew to like was Hydra from Agents of SHIELD, specifically Agent Ward.

message 34: by Christian (new)

Christian Green | 16 comments For me, Dr. Doom is the greatest villain. I absolutely love his approach when he's taking on the heroes. Be it Fantastic 4 or the Avengers. He's an absolute genius who in some regards is more intelligent than the top thinkers in the Marvel and DC universe. He's also incredibly skilled in armed and unarmed combat. Oh, and the man has his own country and army of robotic soldiers. Hands down the best. Honorable mention to Loki and Joker

message 35: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

King wrote: "I've got to go with Ra's Al-Ghul. I'm always partial to the complex villains who do what they do out of a sense of purpose as opposed to being evil just for the hell of it. It's easy to look at Ra'..."

Yeah - I think they did him a disservice in Batman Begins. He could have been so much better.

message 36: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

King wrote: "Overall, I thought Nolan did a decent job with his interpretation but I agree that it could have been better. Ra's is a HUGE part of the Batman mythos but Batman Begins seemed to treat him like a "..."

Also, he was so focused on Gotham. I realize that it might have been difficult to make him someone who wants to destroy the entire world, and it brought it home to Batman and made it more personal. But I always thought of Ra's as bigger.

message 37: by Jim, The Ulti-Moderator (new)

King wrote: "I actually interpreted it a bit differently as far as his obsession with Gotham goes. In Batman Begins, Ra's specifically made reference to their first attempt to topple Gotham by way of the Great ..."

It looks like you've put a bit more thought into than I have :)

I think I see what you're saying...

message 38: by Mel (new)

Mel (melcuya) | 8 comments Joker and Deathstroke!!

message 39: by Tiamatty (new)

Tiamatty | 39 comments You know, as an X-Men fan, I obviously have a lot of appreciation for Magneto. The Hellfire Club was cool. Sinister's always cool, and was fantastic under Kieron Gillen.

I really liked Jeremy Briggs, the big antagonist of Avengers Academy. He was a sociopath, in the sense that he lacked empathy, but he still saw himself as a hero who was going to save the world by taking away superpowers. And honestly? It's hard to actually argue with his goal. His methods were wrong, but he raised some really good points about the classic Hero vs. Villain dichotomy being outdated and meaningless.

But I think my favourite villains are the silliest, most harmless ones. Lady Stilt-Man is unironically awesome. She's a legacy character, and her legacy is Stilt-Man. Stilt-Man is awesome enough, but add Lady to the name? Whole other level.

I love White Rabbit. And the Walrus. And Paste-Pot Pete. And just all these villains who are silly and harmless and who could actually be pretty easily taken down by police, if the superheroes happened to be busy. There's something so wonderful about them. They lend themselves to stories that are just FUN. No dark'n'gritty stuff, no cynicism, no massive stakes. Just pure, simple fun. The Superior Sinister Six fit that mold, too.

Those are the villains I enjoy most. Because I love fun stories. I believe comics can be a force for positive change, and I feel like fun villains lend themselves to that a lot more easily than someone like Apocalypse or Thanos. Doom can fit those stories simply because his name is Dr. Doom, and he is very easy to make ridiculous.

So, yeah. Lady Stilt-Man is the perfect embodiment of the kind of villain I love.

message 40: by Roye (new)

Roye Okupe (royeokupe) | 4 comments The Joker & Amon from The Legend of Korra

message 41: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell Archer (partialmitch) | 6 comments Does Magneto count? I'm never sure. If so, then he is my favorite, hands down. My favorite T-shirt is one that says, "Magneto Was Right" (straight from the comics, if you've read those particular issues).

I've got a particular fondness for "villains" that aren't really evil, if only because that's how most people are in real life. The worst monsters of human history often believed they were doing the right thing. You know what they say about good intentions.

That makes for fine stories, in my opinion.

Then again, I'm also a fan of Captain Boomerang, pretty much because he is frequently a sort of boiled-down essence of vices and weaknesses. And the Joker, of course, always deserves a mention when discussing awesome villains, though he too is far from morally ambiguous.

I'm really not good at picking favorites, apparently. Different characters are good for different reasons.

So I'll just stick with Magneto for now. :)

message 42: by Eddie (new)

Eddie | 70 comments My first reading Magneto was FF 104 many a year ago. Very straight forward bad guy. Funny I read comics for close to 40 years and that issue has kept me from enjoying all the times Marvel tried to grow his character because of a ten year old reflection of that issue.

message 43: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Brophy | 59 comments I'm going to throw in a vote for The Red Skull, if only because Capt. America's my favorite superhero, and Johann Schmidt's his number one archnemesis. The fact that he's a well-dressed member of the greatest real-world supervillain organization in history is a bonus. I think the movie interpretation by Hugo Weaving gets short shrift in discussions of the MCU's most compelling villains. The guy's plan was so monstrous, he was even targeting Berlin, fer chrissakes! He has a twisted sense of humor to match his strong sense of entitlement, and no amount of time or number of humiliating defeats has proven enough to keep him from coming back to try and rule the world time and again.

If you've never read it, there's an excellent miniseries authored by Greg Pak, Red Skull: Incarnate, which traces his rise from an orphaned youth struggling to survive in war-torn Europe to become Hitler's right-hand man. It's written with total realism in mind, so it's really about Johann Schmidt as a flawed human losing that humanity before he ever dons the mask (or has his face mutated, depending on the version of his origin you accept). Terrific stuff.

message 44: by Mitchell (new)

Mitchell Archer (partialmitch) | 6 comments Eddie wrote: "My first reading Magneto was FF 104 many a year ago. Very straight forward bad guy. Funny I read comics for close to 40 years and that issue has kept me from enjoying all the times Marvel tried to ..."
I can see how that would happen. My experience was the complete opposite. One of my first X-Men comics was God Loves, Man Kills (given to me by my uncle when I was a wee lad in the mid-Eighties), and it very much colored my perception of Magneto.

message 45: by Lexxi Kitty (new)

Lexxi Kitty (lexxikitty) | 31 comments My first encounter with Magneto was in that movie. Where he was a small boy in a WWII concentration camp. So, yeah, that kind of impacted my perception of him.

message 46: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 19 comments Yeah, much depends on when you see him. I met him as a troubled villain with a profound reason for his acts. . . whether you could argue that the ret-con makes sense internally doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense emotionally.

Well, I like the Holocaust-survivor villain Magneto best. Especially on his most heroic moments. 'cause I really like villains who reform.

message 47: by Adam (new)

Adam I'm not sure if Magneto really reform. In the current comics today he will do anything to keep the mutant kind safe and I mean anything. Killing is not a problem if it for his cause. However, he has always been like that when he was called, 'villian'.

message 48: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 19 comments There was a period where he had really reformed. Mind you, he was a tough-minded sort of anti-hero who could be ruthless about collateral damage.

One problem with character development in comics is that character development ends and endless series tempt them into turning them back.

message 49: by Phil (new)

Phil I've been reading a lot of books from Valiant recently. Toyo Harada is becoming one of my favorite villains. He is believable as a person. Despite the awful things he does, I still kind of want to root for him to win. He has that "by any means necessary" attitude that Magneto does, but he's more behind the scenes. He manipulates his financial and other resources to achieve his goals, although he gets involved when needed.

message 50: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Woods | 6 comments For me it's Sabretooth. I love how his rivalry with Wolverine is as enjoyable psychologically as it is physically. It's always a good time seeing them tear each other apart since they're so evenly matched. That's a near perfect hero/villain relationship to me. I also love how Vic is such a despicable bastard. He's embraced the beast within that Logan tries so hard to repress. I grab every comic I can with him in it. He's such a fascinating character since you can tell there's plenty of tragedy behind him too.

« previous 1