Afro Book Club discussion

Welcome and Introductions > Members Please Introduce Yourself Here

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by ConnorD (last edited Nov 28, 2013 10:42AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Members please introduce yourselves here
Please share with other member where you live and why you would like to read books written by people of African descent, or why this book club is of interest to you

message 2: by ConnorD (last edited Nov 28, 2013 10:44AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments I am Connor from South Africa and after a discussion with some friends about the difficulty experienced in getting books written by people of African descent discussed at schools and online platforms, we decided to start this Reading Group on Goodreads. We also looked at the goodreads annual nominations and noted that there are no African authors on that list.

Earlier this year I read a book written by a black South African woman and I had never quite read a book like that. These books are not available in our bookstores here in South Africa, and neither are they available in our schools or at public libraries. Although I read books, I was not an avid reader - until this book. Reading that book changed me and I decided to look for books that talk to the realities of our lives as Africans. Most book groups did not cater for this need, and even those relating to Africa were often promoting books written by those who previously colonized the continent.

I hope that you will join us in growing this group so we can promote and discuss authentic African and diaspora books, and create opportunities to get to know authors of the books we read

message 3: by Carlene (last edited Nov 28, 2013 11:06AM) (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Hi Everyone , my name is Carlene and I am from Johannesburg South Africa. Connor, Donald and I started this group because we are crazy about reading and also we crazy about African literature which often doesn't get the exposure it needs and deserves. I'm looking forward to this new adventure and journey with everyone that will take us around the world and back discovering both current and authors who are long gone :)

" A man who pays respect to the greats, paves the way for his own greatness." - African Proverb

message 4: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Hi - I am Donald, residing in California and happy to be part of forming this group. I look forward to reading your suggestions on how to make this group relevant for Africans all around the world
I also look forward to discovering new and older books / authors of African descent and to learn more about the history and cultures of the different regions each month

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone.

Thanks Donald for the invite.

I have a bookclub that meets in my home, this bieng the third time I have done it. I know online will be a different experience and I am looking forward to it.

I live in Fort Worth Tx. By way of several states. I am interested in reading about all things Africa from the motherland to Jamaica, America and everywhere a Black man Woman calls home. I am looking for answers not just great story telling. I want to know why noone has thus far paid for the injustice of a people. To discuss and actively get answers and then hold someone accountable. Might be dreaming, yet I need to know or hear it at best in dialogue.

message 6: by Ronald (new)

Ronald  (ron410) | 1 comments Hi, I am Ronald from Baltimore and happy to be part of this group.I enjoy fiction and nonfiction by authors of african descent and look forward to sharing,and discovering new authors.

message 7: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Denise wrote: "Hello everyone.

Thanks Donald for the invite.

I have a bookclub that meets in my home, this bieng the third time I have done it. I know online will be a different experience and I am looking for..."

Hello Denise, you right about answers that need to be gotten. No one likes to discuss these topics, so we need to read books that raise the questions at least, and then go on to provoke thinking on solutions

I believe unity of understanding and purpose is critical to getting us where we can demand redress.
It can never be just a dream
We gotta believe that its possible

Thanks for joining and look forward to discussions on these topics through books written from the perspective of our people

message 8: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Ronald wrote: "Hi, I am Ronald from Baltimore and happy to be part of this group.I enjoy fiction and nonfiction by authors of african descent and look forward to sharing,and discovering new authors."

Ronald great to have you join the club, also look forward to sharing with you Bro

message 9: by Yeremiyah (new)

Yeremiyah Ben Yisrael (drben) | 10 comments Hello
I'm Yeremiyah and my friend Carlene invited me, I'm from NYC by way of Israel

message 10: by Phumlani (new)

Phumlani (ndo_phumlani) | 2 comments Hi everyone, im Phumlani from Johannesburg, i am an avid reader, a slow reader but an avis one nonetheless. I have a keen interest in African literature. I looove this initiative and look forward to your recommendations though i must say that i am not particularly keen on christian literature, not that im a satanist or anything but i think for a while i was force fed one sided views of th world and i can do without that for a while, i hope that makes sense. My favourite author changes so rapidly i myself cant even keep up!.

message 11: by James (new)

James Amoateng (goodreadscomjamesamoateng) | 20 comments Hi,
I am James Amoateng from Ghana. I am a dental surgeon and author with 2 books to my name and another two books together with a group of author friends from the #ASMSG group. Authors Social Media Support Group. I currently live in Kumasi Ghana.I write poetry and action thrillers.
http://sbpra.com/jamesamoateng/

message 12: by Tsanderswoods (new)

Tsanderswoods | 1 comments Hi, I'm Tamara from Pennsylvania and I am a school administrator ... I created/recruited members for a book club that is coming up on our 5th year anniversary! We meet about once month and attend a weekend retreat yearly.
I love reading and often can finish a book in a day or two (if is a great read). I am fond of historical fiction and reading about people of different cultures.
Thanks for the invite Donald!

message 13: by Donald (last edited Nov 29, 2013 01:13AM) (new)

Donald | 126 comments Phumalani great to see you here, I am also excited about this initiative. Perhaps if there is one thing that people of African descent learn, after it all - is that we need to support each other. Thanks Bro for joining
Even if books from a region are not chosen as "book of the month" this will help us to get to know authors from all over the continent and around the diaspora, in turn supporting the need for us to express views, stories, etc in our own voices
It is the same in the US, books from continent or even from our authors here are not readily read in schools, or easily we available
We can begin to change that

message 14: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Hi James thanks for joining, we look forward to hearing more about your books and reading from Ghanaian authors. Please also list your books under the Author's folder so that members can see your work there
Welcome

message 15: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Tamara
Welcome to the group .. I admire that ability to read a book in a day, great! 5 years already for your book club is amazing. Look forward to learning from your experiences in book-clubbing -- I have always been a solo reader but enjoying the opportunity of sharing with others such as yourself..
Thank you

message 16: by Diane (last edited Nov 29, 2013 03:04AM) (new)

Diane Brown (Diane_Brown) | 38 comments Thank you Connor for the invitation to join this group. I think this is a great idea and I certainly look forward to discovering African authors and African books from around the globe.
I am from South Africa, but grew up between Swaziland, Mozambique and SA - Though I really just consider myself an African. I love to read and write - these bring me great joy and satisfaction
On another note, I read your review of my book - Thank you for the thoughtful review - glad it meant so much to you & that you took the time to write the review
Regards and with great appreciation,
Diane Malaika B

message 17: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 5 comments Hello, my name is Andrew. I currently reside in London (UK) and work as an IT Consultant. I have been reading work by authors of African descent for some time now and I am always keen to discover new authors and titles. The group read for 2014 looks particularly interesting and I hope to be involved. I'm looking forward to learning and sharing with other members!

message 18: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Hello Andrew
Welcome and thanks for joining, we looking forward to having you here and learning from books you've been reading
Connor

message 19: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Hi Diane,
I am so glad that you accepted the invitation Thank You
Look forward to sharing book ideas with you and really did enjoy your book
Regards
Connor

message 20: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryokekereviews) Thank you Diane for the invitation. I am Mary Okeke African book blogger on www.maryokekereviews.blogspot.com

message 21: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Welcome Mary,
Please also open a thread in the folder Book reviewers, so you can post links to your reviews there for members to see
Thanks for joining Afro Book Club

message 22: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Diane wrote: "Thank you Connor for the invitation to join this group. I think this is a great idea and I certainly look forward to discovering African authors and African books from around the globe.
I am from S..."

Thanks for joining Diane, I look forward to your participation and really enjoyed your book
Donald

message 23: by Carlene (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Welcome to all our new members :) Please pay attention to thread for December 2013 Nominations.

tx

Carlene

message 24: by Chrislene (new)

Chrislene hi everyone!

My name is Chrislene and I'm from/live in Boston, MA. I'm really happy to be apart of this group. I would also like to thank Donald for the invite.

I look forward to reading more books my people. The books that I have been deeply connected with are usually written by Edwidge Danticat. That's because I am Haitian American and can identify with many of the characters. I also love bell hooks. I think everyone in the planet should read her book, All About Love.

I can't wait to read and discuss books with you all. And of course make new friends ☺

Best,

Chrislene

message 25: by Brown Girl Reading (last edited Dec 01, 2013 01:58AM) (new)

Brown Girl Reading | 9 comments Hello All I'm Didi and have enjoyed reading since I was 5. It's a passion that won't die. I'm from Louisiana. I'm an English literature major with a minor in French. I started a book club here in Normandy that's been running for a little over 10 years. I enjoy reading a little of everything as long as it isn't sci-fi. I'd like to thank Donald for inviting me to the group. I hope to broaden my knowledge of African literature beyond what I know, which I don't think is colossal. Looking forward to sharing with you all. I also blog eclectically over at http://didibooksenglish.wordpress.com

Brown Girl Reading | 9 comments Hi Mary! I just subscribed to your blog. It's really good. I'll definitely be getting more insight into African culture now. :)

Mary wrote: "Thank you Diane for the invitation. I am Mary Okeke African book blogger on www.maryokekereviews.blogspot.com"

message 27: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Didi wrote: "Hello All I'm Didi and have enjoyed reading since I was 5. It's a passion that won't die. I'm from Louisiana. I'm an English literature major with a minor in French. I started a book club here ..."

Welcome Didi, so glad you joined,
Look forward to your insight on discussions too

I think we all agree that Mary's blog is just great! Putting the focus right on the motherland - much needed because mainstream media wont afford it the place it deserves

I looked at your blog too and it is great. We will open a specific folder under the Book Blogger and Reviews Section - called "ReadEng. Didi's Press" and you can post relevant links to posts on Africa & Diaspora books/authors/other relevant info. This way readers can link to your blog from this group

message 28: by Starapple (new)

Starapple (starappleakaafrobyte) | 4 comments Hi and thanks to Donald for inviting me to this book group. I will forward an invite to my daughter. We are based in London, United Kingdom.

We love reading and have found that not enough is being done to promote black writers worldwide.

Once I got my first Kindle and held it in my hands, my daughter who is also an avid reader and a fan of Maya Angelou, stated to me that there are not enough black writers showcased. She said there are huge amounts of writers out there which never come to the forefront or get the chance to go main stream.

So a couple of years ago we thought what could be done about it. We sat down and created AfroByte.co.uk. To my shame it has not grown as much as we wanted, due to lack of time. However, now that I am not working full time and training to be a gardener, I want to put my energies into AfroByte.co.uk.

Not every black person on this planet has a computer, but they may have access to an Android mobile phone, which has the potential to access the free reader software and gives them the option of downloading books. This gives them access to many authors and book titles not found in book shops.

We also want to become an purely online book publisher and promoter for black authors. I have already received some manuscripts but had to refuse them due to spelling and grammar issues. However there were some gems and I asked the writers to give them a good work over and resubmit when done. We do not want to rival Amazon or the other book shops online, but become a niche and somewhat high brow black book resource.

Afrobyte is there to cater to these people and anyone interested in black authors of any shade, creed, religion, belief system. Our problem is that we want to read each book before we can recommend it to the public, however that is just not possible. Therefore we are looking for people who will read a book and then write a review for it.

Its a labour of love.

The current status is that I am going to revamp the website. I am not happy with it currently and my daughter and I have to come to compromises to get this started.

I hope that people will join us. We also have a group on Goodreads called Afrobyte, but its a bit inactive at this time.

Love

Star

message 29: by Mary (new)

Mary (maryokekereviews) Didi wrote: "Hi Mary! I just subscribed to your blog. It's really good. I'll definitely be getting more insight into African culture now. :)

Mary wrote: "Thank you Diane for the invitation. I am Mary Okeke Af..."

Hi Didi,
I have subscribed to your as well. I look forward to interacting with you.

Brown Girl Reading | 9 comments Me too Mary! :)

Mary wrote: "Didi wrote: "Hi Mary! I just subscribed to your blog. It's really good. I'll definitely be getting more insight into African culture now. :)

Mary wrote: "Thank you Diane for the invitation. I am ..."

message 31: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Didi wrote: "Me too Mary! :)

Mary wrote: "Didi wrote: "Hi Mary! I just subscribed to your blog. It's really good. I'll definitely be getting more insight into African culture now. :)

Mary wrote: "Thank you..."

Didi, hi
I thought I hit the reply tab but it was the delete one. Apologies..
You asked about choosing the December and January books?

We will choose December books as follows

"The nomination process for books for the December reads will be open until Monday (2/12/2013) 4PM (CAT). The poll will then be opened for voting from (2/12/2013 - 5PM [CAT]) until (3/12/2013 5PM [CAT])

You need to nominate 2 books that were published within the year 2013 for the December read. One from an African author in Africa and the other from the diaspora. Please do this under the discussion thread "December 2013 Recommendations"

You can also nominate for January books under the folder "January 2014 Recommends" and will decide on the January book in the next 10-14 days)

message 32: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Starapple wrote: "Hi and thanks to Donald for inviting me to this book group. I will forward an invite to my daughter. We are based in London, United Kingdom.

We love reading and have found that not enough is being..."

Dear Star,
Welcome ... Donald told us briefly about your website. It sounds like a great idea. Once you have set it up we can discuss better how we support each other, in our aim to expose readers to African authors.

He will certainly get back to you by end of day.
Great to have you here
Connor

Please feel free to invite your daughter and friends

message 33: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Chrislene wrote: "hi everyone!

My name is Chrislene and I'm from/live in Boston, MA. I'm really happy to be apart of this group. I would also like to thank Donald for the invite.

I look forward to reading more bo..."

Welcome

We all very happy to have you here

message 34: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Star, Great to see you here
I like Connor's idea about creating the link - great!
Glad you are here

I encourage all members to please invite other friends and reading mates to join Afro Book Club

Lets make this work
Don

message 35: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Chrislene,
Great to have you here and thanks for the great nominations
Please also consider books for the January group read

message 36: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Greetings!

This is a Group whose time has come! Thank you.

My name is Leslie---originally from Detroit, Michigan and currently residing in Chicago, Illinois in the U.S.

I look forward to reading with you!

message 37: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Leslie wrote: "Greetings!

My name is Leslie---originally from Detroit, Michigan and currently residing in Chicago, Illinois in the U.S.

I look forward to readin..."

Hi Leslie,

Welcome and thanks for joining the group - I look forward to your participation and could not agree with you more about the time having come ..

Thanks for joining

Brown Girl Reading | 9 comments Yeah! So glad you joined.

Leslie wrote: "Greetings!

I look forward to readin..."

message 39: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments Hello everyone,

Thanks for the invite, Donald! My name is Rowena and I reside in Canada, originally from Malawi though. I've been a chronic bookworm since I was a child. I'm trying to read more African literature and I'm really glad to be a part of this group because there are few people in Vancouver who I can discuss African lit with!I do have a blog but it's a bit of a mixed bag as far as books go.

Looking forward to our discussions.

message 40: by Donald (new)

Donald | 126 comments Rowena wrote: "Hello everyone,

Thanks for the invite, Donald! My name is Rowena and I reside in Canada, originally from Malawi though. I've been a chronic bookworm since I was a child. I'm trying to read more Af..."

Rowena, Welcome and great that you joined this group.
Malawi hey, must feel good to have a woman President of your home country

Yeah the idea is to create a community of people that appreciate African books (written by Africans) from all over continent and the diaspora, and hopefully through that to elevate it .
Welcome and look forward to your engagement in the group.

message 41: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments Thanks Donald! Actually, President Banda was my mother's boss while we lived in Malawi, an amazing woman who values education:)
I was actually wondering why there wasn't a group dedicated solely to African literature. Having a great collection of literature to call one's own would do so much to raise self-esteem and encourage more Africans to write, I truly believe that.

Brown Girl Reading | 9 comments So true.

Rowena wrote: "Thanks Donald! Actually, President Banda was my mother's boss while we lived in Malawi, an amazing woman who values education:)
I was actually wondering why there wasn't a group dedicated solely to..."

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 1 comments Hi everyone! Donald, thanks for inviting me to join this group.

I'm from Montreal, Canada. I had intended to do my undergraduate studies in English Literature, but was dismayed to find that nearly everything we studied was written by white men, usually British or American, and the rest of the world was simply ignored. I switched programs and I've been exploring African Lit on my own ever since. I look forward to making new discoveries with you all!

message 44: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments Hello Lisa! Nice to see you here! :)

message 45: by Romeo (new)

Romeo D. Matshaba | 2 comments Romeo here, let there be light!

message 46: by ConnorD (last edited Dec 02, 2013 03:26AM) (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Rowena wrote: "Hello everyone,

Thanks for the invite, Donald! My name is Rowena and I reside in Canada, originally from Malawi though. I've been a chronic bookworm since I was a child. I'm trying to read more Af..."

Hi Rowena
Please consider if you would like a folder on this group with your reviews for books African/black, (same as Didi and Mary) -- we could do that. It is great if we can bring together books, readers, bloggers and authors through this group. In this way we promote bloggers, books and authors .. I will wait to year from you
Connor

message 47: by ConnorD (new)

ConnorD | 181 comments Romeo wrote: "Romeo here, let there be light!"

Welcome Romeo

thanks for joining Afro Book Club and look forward to sharing ideas, reviews and discussions with you
Please feel free include your nominations
Connor

message 48: by Carlene (new)

Carlene | 12 comments Didi wrote: "Hello All I'm Didi and have enjoyed reading since I was 5. It's a passion that won't die. I'm from Louisiana. I'm an English literature major with a minor in French. I started a book club here ..."

Welcome Didi :) will check your blog out.

message 49: by Rowena (new)

Rowena | 32 comments Connor Dlamini wrote: "Rowena wrote: "Hello everyone,

Thanks for the invite, Donald! My name is Rowena and I reside in Canada, originally from Malawi though. I've been a chronic bookworm since I was a child. I'm trying ..."

Thanks so much, Connor. I will do that.

message 50: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 1 comments Hi, I'm Jackie from Chattanooga, TN. After reading The Book of Night Women by Marlon James this year, I feel the need to hear the voices of my people from around the world; to get a glimpse into their pasts, present and hopes for the future.

Thanks for the invite Donald!

« previous 1 3 4