UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past group quizzes/comps > Writing Contest #20

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jud (last edited Nov 28, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments The theme for this months contest is...
"Old Photographs"

Maximum 200 words :o)

PM all entries to me by 12th December, please do not post entries here. As far as I am aware there is still a £5 amazon voucher up for grabs to the winner.

Have I missed anything?

message 2: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Why is it 150 words Jud?

message 3: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Why not?

It was originally 150 words and then we crept up to 200 so I'm bringing it back down.

message 4: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments That's a bugger, I'd already written it :~(

Back to the desktop then!

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Oh no! I'm sorry. You didn't specify so I picked a word count. I can put it back up to 200 words if you like and then make the next one 150

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You're too nice Jud.

I'd have made him re-write it. :D

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments So the final score is 200 words yeah? :)

message 8: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "You're too nice Jud.

I'd have made him re-write it. :D"

That's such a teacher type stance. Thank you Jud :~)

message 9: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Takes me 150 words just to clear my throat...

message 10: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Does it have to be new or can we foist some old stuff?

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Marc wrote: "Takes me 150 words just to clear my throat..."

Theres a topic for the next competition!

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments Nah, too phlegmy!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments David wrote: "Does it have to be new or can we foist some old stuff?"

New!

message 14: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "Nah, too phlegmy!"

oh I don't know it stretches the old membraney

message 15: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "David wrote: "Does it have to be new or can we foist some old stuff?"

New!"

Bugger.

I already have 147 words on old photographs:

http://atangledrope.blogspot.co.uk/20...

message 16: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments You could have added 53 words and made it new.

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments I've just been wondering what a drope is!

message 18: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments David wrote: "You could have added 53 words and made it new."

Well, not new exactly - slightly refurbished. More like putting an extension on a house.

message 19: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "I've just been wondering what a drope is!"

Sort of like a Pope, but not quite so turgid.

message 20: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I am too nice, but I like being too nice. I'll get mean when I have kids and have to tell them what to do and do my best to ruin their fun in everything.

My mum always says she has my best interests at heart but I don't believe it.

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill (s0litaire) | 124 comments I've finally admitted to myself the one huge factor in my story writing abilities.

...I have none!!!

Saying that, I've decided to enter this months comp anyway.

^_^

good luck everyone!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Looking forward to reading it Bill!

message 23: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "I am too nice, but I like being too nice. I'll get mean when I have kids and have to tell them what to do and do my best to ruin their fun in everything.

My mum always says she has my best intere..."

I would prefer a parent to say that than 'don't do as I do, do as I say'...

message 24: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments My entry is in :~)

message 25: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments don't own a camera, not a sentimentalist about that sort of thing so probably won't enter this one

message 26: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments You could do a cynical entry Marc, let out your unsentimental side

message 27: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "You could do a cynical entry Marc, let out your unsentimental side"

Side? It's front, back & internal too :-)

message 28: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Ok, so let your unsentimental self loose

message 29: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Ok, so let your unsentimental self loose"

cameras just not making any flashbulbs go off in my noggin. I have written a couple of flash fiction stories on cameras, maybe that exhausted the juices on that one

message 30: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Ah well, I guess I'll let you have a holiday form the contests

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You're too nice, Jud.

Authors don't respond well to 'nice'.

Git yer arse in front of your pc and write a story about an old photograph RIGHT NOW, Marc.

message 32: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "You're too nice, Jud.

Authors don't respond well to 'nice'.

Git yer arse in front of your pc and write a story about an old photograph RIGHT NOW, Marc."

No, shan't :-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Uh-oh. Patti will be doing her teacher voice in a minute.

message 34: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Oh dear! Have I selected a rubbish theme? :~(

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I think its a very good one. Can't wait to see what develops...

message 36: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments Very good :D

message 37: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments David wrote: "Oh dear! Have I selected a rubbish theme? :~("

not at all, just something I've written about a couple of times & exhausted for me personally

message 38: by David (new)

David Staniforth (davidstaniforth) | 7939 comments I can understand that.

To be honest, I find coming up with a theme harder that writing about them.

message 39: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments I find that been given a theme, title or anything like that is almost guaranteed to make my mind go blank(er).

message 40: by Jud (last edited Dec 05, 2013 03:37AM) (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments There's nothing to say that you can't pick 'freestyle' as the theme if you win.

message 41: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "There's nothing to say that you can't pick 'freestyle' as the theme if you win."

Ah, but to win I have to enter. So I'll just have to wait until a contest comes along which matches whatever is meandering through my brain at the time.

message 42: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments Surely it's not too big a challenge to knock out 200 words on any topic under the sun. It's only a bit of fun, not something by which the quality of our 'serious' writing will be judged.

message 43: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments B J wrote: "Surely it's not too big a challenge to knock out 200 words on any topic under the sun. It's only a bit of fun, not something by which the quality of our 'serious' writing will be judged."

yeah it usually takes me all of 10 minutes in a lunch break at work. But this theme I've done and got nothing.

message 44: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments B J wrote: "Surely it's not too big a challenge to knock out 200 words on any topic under the sun. It's only a bit of fun, not something by which the quality of our 'serious' writing will be judged."

A bit of fun?

First you have to get the plans all drawn up and approved. Then the foundations dug and the scaffolding put up, then you have to get the word-layers in and make sure that all the punctuation meets the latest EU stipulations.

Then there is all the plumbing in of the plot and the rewiring of the characters to do.

I mean you shove a protagonist in there without the joist-work to support it and the whole tale could could crashing down around you theme.

message 45: by Marc (new)

Marc Nash (sulci) | 7481 comments I normally start with how best to subvert the challenge and proceed from there...

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9112 comments Some of us are guerilla writers though David - break in under cover of darkness and scribe illegally

message 47: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments Rosemary (the Fourth Plinth) wrote: "Some of us are guerilla writers though David - break in under cover of darkness and scribe illegally"

Tsk.

The story police will be after you, if you aren't careful.

Always make sure you have a fast getaway written, just in case.

message 48: by B J (new)

B J Burton (bjburton) | 2914 comments I've clearly failed to appreciate the true intellectual level and literary significance of this thread.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Have you written proper blueprints for the story. And brought in a reputable firm of story architects?

message 50: by David (new)

David Hadley | 4873 comments B J wrote: "I've clearly failed to appreciate the true intellectual level and literary significance of this thread."

Intellectual level?

Isn't that like a spirit level, only with thought bubbles?

« previous 1