Expats - The English-speaking French discussion

Michelin Red Guide 2007 France: Hotels & Restaurants
This topic is about Michelin Red Guide 2007 France
Aliments et boissons > Favorite restaurants

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Have a favorite restaurant in France? Corse? Quebec?

Share your recommendations here. Where possible, include the name, address, phone, and website if you know the info. And of course, tell us about your dining experiences...

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane | 4 comments http://www.petitfute.uk.com/restauran...

La Ciboulette, Strasbourg, centre ville.

Jacques does it all - cooking and waiting. He is an artist. This place is not for vegetarians! Traditional plats and Alsace flammekueche. Very small place. Booking essential unless he knows you.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 20 comments Mod
We don't eat out a huge amount, partly because I enjoy cooking and now have time to do it, and partly because of finances. We've eaten well at Le Gourmet Quercynois in St Cirq Lapopie over the years (tel:+ 05 65 31 21 20 or www.restaurant-legourmetquercynois.com) BUT the menu never changes, though they do, of course, offer a couple of plats du jour and desserts du jour. it's pretty duck-heavy as well - so if duck's not working for you probably not :).

Very local options for us are few. However, the Hotel de Quercy in Lauzerte has never let us down. Chef patron, Frederic, is a very able cook - nothing fancy - no fine dining here - but simple food, well executed. Most recently I had potage of winter vegetables, preceded by complimentary seafood bon bouche with tiny and delicious home made bread rolls. This followed by ris de veau, also delicious, and rounded off with a good if unremarkable cheese board. We shared a decent bottle of Bordeaux - all for the princely sum of €25 p/head. No complaints there then. The place itself is also delightfully old fashioned - the exterior has a small terrace for summer use and looks as though it's stepped out of a 2nd world war movie, and the interior is also very old fashioned traditional french with uninterrupted views over the valley. Recommended if you find yourself in this neck of the woods.

We're joining friends for a birthday dinner on Friday at a restaurant I don't know, so I'll let you know about that.

message 4: by Jim (last edited Dec 16, 2013 09:50AM) (new)

Jim Susan wrote: "We don't eat out a huge amount, partly because I enjoy cooking and now have time to do it, and partly because of finances. We've eaten well at Le Gourmet Quercynois in St Cirq Lapopie over the y..."

I was just in Saint Cirq Lapopie in November and had a wonderful lunch at Le Gourmet Quercynois - I had a pork dish, if memory serves. Nice ambiance and reasonable price for what they offer. I don't know Lauzerte, but will have to find it on the map.

Edit: Just checked the map - are you talking about Hotel le Belvedere? Looks lovely!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 20 comments Mod
No, never eaten there, Jim, but have visited their spa (gift vouchers for birthday!). It's a pretty upmarket hotel and spa which I think attracts mostly French tourists. Very nice pool and terrace area. The lunch menu was €28, dinner significantly more. If you're more of a traditional auberge / bistro type man it's probably not the place for you - I don't think I'll be bothering.

Hotel du Quercy is in the heart of the lower part of the village of Lauzerte, try this link http://www.hotel-du-quercy.fr. Sadly the chairs shown in the restaurant have been recently replaced with something admittedly more comfortable, but less in keeping with the overall ambience of the place. Still - he's not running a museum and I suppose he needs to keep gently updating so the place doesn't become just tatty.